• The KillerFrogs

Inside Texas: Will Gary Patterson embrace "flyover defense" in 2020?

CryptoMiner

Its Ian Boyd, so take that for what its worth.

https://insidetexas.com/forums/threads/will-gary-patterson-embrace-flyover-defense-in-2020.96508/

The dominant theme of the 2020 Big 12 season is unquestionably going to be the doubling down on RPO spread football by the various offenses and how that fares against the defensive answer in the form of the “Flyover defense.” The flyover defense is what Iowa State developed in 2017 and the hallmarks are a 3-down front and a three safety secondary.

That’s not to say a 4-2-5 in which the strongside linebacker position aligns out in space and is manned by a converted defensive back. That was Oklahoma’s invention back in the early 2000s with Roy Williams that pioneered base nickel defense. I mean a three-safety defense that typically starts the snap with three safeties lined up at eight yards or deeper before the snap.

TCU has that in their defensive package, although they’ve used it only sporadically over the last few years while preferring to maintain their traditional 4-2-5 where possible. Against Oklahoma in 2019 they ended up using their flyover package quite extensively. Here’s how it looked:

It was a pretty small unit, if you don’t know all the names involved. Ochaun Mathis and Colt Ellison were both around 240 while Winters and Bradford weighed in at 190-200. Patterson turned to this unit after Oklahoma got up 21-7 and they enabled a TCU comeback before succumbing 28-24 when Max Duggan got picked throwing a slant late and behind to tight end Pro Wells.

The Frogs badly needed to make an adjustment. Their 4-2-5 had already been badly torched by the two-headed zone-option monster of Spencer Sanders and Chuba Hubbard and by Brock "pump fake" Purdy and Iowa State. Oklahoma rolled through it early as well, largely due to TCU’s defensive ends getting over extended trying to play contain on the perimeter against the quarterback option. Their goal was to funnel the ball inside to linebackers but those guys were facing run/pass conflicts and lacked the power to hold up against the mammoth Sooner O-line coming downhill at them.

Click the link for more....

Froggish

defensive end play must get better plain and simple

He essentially makes the argument that we need to adopt the Iowa St odd front/3 high Safety look. GP has been experimenting with but should commit to it as a base.

As I’ve said many times, regardless of the front type, we have to get pressure from the DEs or it doesn’t matter what base we are in. Nobody in all of football makes on the fly adjustments better than GP. The problem is he’s really vanilla early in games and good offenses often jump all over him early. Example
SMU, ISU, Ok St, and OU were all losses where those teams quickly jumped out to 2 score leads before GP got aggressive and slowed the game. With our offense a two score lead might as well be 50 points.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
He essentially makes the argument that we need to adopt the Iowa St odd front/3 high Safety look. GP has been experimenting with but should commit to it as a base.

As I’ve said many times, regardless of the front type, we have to get pressure from the DEs or it doesn’t matter what bass we are in. Nobody in all of football makes on the fly adjustments better than GP. The problem is he’s really vanilla early in games and good offenses often jump all over him early. Example
SMU, ISU, Ok St, and OU were all losses where those teams quickly jumped out to 2 score leads before GP got aggressive and slowed the game. With our offense a two score lead might as well be 50 points.
I agree if we are in a striper but if we are in a largemouth or a Rickenbacker we will be fine.

MTfrog5

Collier and Banogu say hello.

I will give you last year we lacked pass rushers, but the year before we had two of our best defensive ends in the past 10 years

Edit: spelling
Last year was the first year we’ve had two bad DE play. It got better at the end of the year. I have high hopes for them this year for them for some reason.