• The KillerFrogs

Indianapolis Star: Colts add to defense with TCU DE Jerry Hughes

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100423/S...347/1004/SPORTS

[SIZE=14pt]Colts add to defense with TCU DE Jerry Hughes[/SIZE]

By Mike Chappell

A long, frustrating search ended late Thursday for the Indianapolis Colts.

Never able to find a suitable complement to Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis since the Pro Bowl defensive ends became a disruptive pass-rush tandem in 2003, they finally discovered him deep in the heart of Texas.Jerry Hughes, who generated 261/2 sacks in his final two seasons at Texas Christian, is the guy. The Colts selected the 6-1, 255-pounder with the 31st overall pick in the first round of the NFL draft.

Team president Bill Polian admitted he had made inquiries about trading out of the first round, and was prepared to do so, as the Colts' time on the clock neared.

But when that time came and Hughes still was on the board -- Polian said he was his last player with a first-round grade -- the decision was simple. Take Hughes. Insert another quarterback chaser into a defense that is at its best when Freeney and Mathis are at their best, but struggles when one or the other is out or slowed by injury, as Freeney was in the Super Bowl loss to New Orleans.

"We've said seemingly for the last seven years, 'We need a third pass rusher. We need a third pass rusher,' " Polian said. "We need a guy that, when one of the other two fellas is incapacitated or out of the lineup or not 100 percent, can step in there and perform at a similar level.

"We have not had that guy because they are hard to find."

Hughes was recruited by TCU as a running back after rushing for 1,412 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior at Stephen F. Austin High School in Fort Bend County, Texas.

The Horned Frogs quickly switched him to defense, and Hughes did the rest. He finished with 281/2 sacks, 401/2 tackles for loss and eight forced fumbles in a four-year career that saw him appear in 49 games, 27 as a starter.

The Colts had Hughes on their radar from the early portion of his senior season, but never let on their interest in him.

"Oh, no, I had no idea," he said in a conference call with Indianapolis media. "I had no visits, any type of contact with the Colts."

When Polian called to inform Hughes he would be the Colts' first-round pick, "I was just shocked," Hughes said. "I was excited and overwhelmed."

He described Freeney and Mathis as "the epitome of what defensive end/pass rushers are. You've got Freeney and Mathis coming off that edge, bringing that speed, bringing all that force . . ."

Occasionally, though, injuries have limited the availability or effectiveness of Freeney and Mathis.

Freeney had the only sack of Saints quarterback Drew Brees in Super Bowl XLIV, but a sprained right ankle cut into his effectiveness as the game unfolded. When the Colts lost to San Diego in the 2007 playoffs, Freeney was out with an injury to his left foot and Mathis was slowed by a knee injury.

Since being united in 2003, Freeney and Mathis have generated 134 sacks and forced 60 fumbles. Help has been sparse. No other player has had more than 61/2 sacks in a season since '03. The past four seasons, the No. 3 sack producer has had three once and 31/2 three times.

Raheem Brock had been the third option, collecting 271/2 sacks since '03. With him out of the mix -- the team granted his request to be released in March -- coming up with another pass rusher was paramount."We think he's going to be able to give us some power along with that rush," coach Jim Caldwell said. "He's a guy that certainly has all the moves in his package and when John (Teerlinck, defensive line coach) gets his hands on him, he'll get him to play like all of our guys do when they get after the passer."

With their pass-rush priority taken care of, the Colts can focus on other areas today. The Colts have the 31st pick in the second and third rounds.

"Once you check that off the list, you're probably going in a different direction positionally," Polian said. "However, you let the board talk to you.

"We're going to pick the best player that's there."

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Bill Polian called last night about 10:30 say he noticed Jerry still available. I told him he was faster than Freeey and a class kid. He said that's all he needed to know...

It is all TCU, all JH, all day here. Lead on TV, interviews at the sports bars. The drunks at the Blue Crew (a big Colts sports bar) were all knowledgeable and all raving.

Jerry, call, we'll do dinner...

:ph34r:

sports_today.jpg

today.jpg

JimSwinkLives!

Just spoke to a friend of mine at the NCAA office in Indianapolis. He said he heard nothing but really positive comments from fans on the sports talk radio stations in Indy this morning about Hughes. Fans think they will have the best pass rushing defense in the NFL next season.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ Apr 23 2010, 09:37 AM) [snapback]549115[/snapback]
Just spoke to a friend of mine at the NCAA office in Indianapolis. He said he heard nothing but really positive comments from fans on the sports talk radio stations in Indy this morning about Hughes. Fans think they will have the best pass rushing defense in the NFL next season.

There is an NCAA museum over there. I went expecting to see sections for all teams that have done things of merit. Not a single TCU items, no Sam Baugh, Lilly, LT...nothing. Pretty unimpressive.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Hoosierfrog @ Apr 23 2010, 09:02 AM) [snapback]549133[/snapback]
There is an NCAA museum over there. I went expecting to see sections for all teams that have done things of merit. Not a single TCU items, no Sam Baugh, Lilly, LT...nothing. Pretty unimpressive.

No m i d-major wing?

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(Hoosierfrog @ Apr 23 2010, 09:02 AM) [snapback]549133[/snapback]

Its called the "Hall of Champions." And I guess you are the reason why part of it burned down two years ago. Thanks for going off-topic by the way. :wacko:

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Apr 23 2010, 09:03 AM) [snapback]549138[/snapback]
No m i d-major wing?

No, but they do have the "Slap-Arse Crazy" section. I hear Gunner is featured there.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(JimSwinkLives! @ Apr 23 2010, 09:12 AM) [snapback]549145[/snapback]
No, but they do have the "Slap-Arse Crazy" section. I hear Gunner is featured there.

:rolleyes:

Houston Frog

I'm so torn here. I said as soon as draft talk started that I thought the Colts were the perfect team for Hughes, he just fits their scheme perfectly. Jerry will have a great chance to succeed there, but selfishly (being a Texans fan and all) I didn't really want him to go there. I don't want to have to face him twice a year, and be torn on how to root for/against him.

Even though we're their b*tch, I actually like the Colts. They're a class organization, and I like their players too... I just hope the rivalry is a little less one-sided in the future.

talor

Colts fans really like this pick because they remember how their defense got shredded with Mathis hurt two years ago and when Freeney was hobbled last year. Depth is a beautiful thing! Great situation for Jerry!

Let's start to get excited for D Wash and his prospects!

byuhog

Good stuff boys and congrats to Hughes-an amazing defender.

That's pretty cool stuff to be with the Colts organization.

They still have a shot at another Super bowl and Peyton isn't THAT old just yet.

I've been a Colts fan since they picked Austin Collie last draft.

Now that's 3 guys in the MWC with the Colts-Collie, Hughes and Moore(RB from Wyoming) if he can make the cut.

Small world.