• The KillerFrogs

Impossible championships?

4 Oaks Frog

Especially when they drop you 6 spots in the final CFP. Makes damned near impossible...
Now I know what happened. They counted our staties, discovered we didn’t have enough 4/5s, said it won’t be possible for us to win and dropped us from 3 to 6. Now it all makes sense!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fok baylor and the committee!!

Froggish

According to this 24/7 article, Only teams who have averaged at least 50% 4/5 stars have a chance at winning a national championship.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...n-win-a-national-title-148079661/#148079661_1

There is certainly enough statistical evidence that most teams are really only playing for a chance at a conference championship not a an actual CFP championship. The data also supports that for the most part, the rich are getting richer in that the vast majority of Blue Chip recruits are gathering at the same 10 schools with may 3-4 other schools that weave in and out of the "haves" discussion. TCU at one time was trending toward potentially joining the elite but our inconsistency has kind of derailed that. Having said that, I think we are at around 23% over the last 5 years and that's a lot better than most. Now 2021 isn't looking good so far as we don't have a single 4 or 5 star committed currently.

Planks

The problem with this analysis is that some of the results are due to correlation, not causation. Blue chip recruits tend to go to blueblood schools, and blueblood schools tended to get the benefit of the doubt from the humans who participated in the BCS polls and playoff committees.

Over the past 20 years every time there has ever been a question of who should make the BCS national championship or the Playoffs, the humans have given the nod to the more blue blood school. It’s not like the superior blue chip ratio allowed 2008 Florida to defeat undefeated 2008 Utah on the field. Humans simply decided that 2008 Florida and their blue chip ratio were better, and that was it.

Don’t get me wrong, the schools with the best blue chip ratios are always going to win almost every single championship. Particularly today, as we are seeing a coalescing of talent, coaching, innovation, and QB play among the top schools (Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, Georgia) that didn’t seem to exist even 5 years ago. But the analysis is faulty. Had there been a more inclusive playoff system for the past 20 years, I think it’s possible a non-blue chip program would have gotten lucky and hot at just the right time, and might have taken a championship away from the blue bloods.

Dogfrog

Worth remembering TCU finished #2 in 2010 final polls primarily because we were in the wrong conference and #3 in 2014 final polls, following the 4 team playoff snub. The name on our jerseys was a bigger factor than our recruiting stars.