• The KillerFrogs

If TCU shuts out its next two opponents

Cougar/Frog

I think it was 7.2 (or close to it) with Auburn in 1988. Too bad the cheating official gave Utah that unearned TD........ It would have been very nice to shutout the Utes....

FROGDADDY

I think it was 7.2 (or close to it) with Auburn in 1988. Too bad the cheating official gave Utah that unearned TD........ It would have been very nice to shutout the Utes....

Not sure that's worth complaining about. I'm assuming you're saying his knee was down before the ball crossed the plane. GP could have that reviewed if he felt like it.

neo926

That's sour grapes if you ask me. Yeah, he was short, but they would have had 1st and goal at or inside the 1, so trying to imply that it's a sure thing they don't score there is foolish.

Cougar/Frog

Not sure that's worth complaining about. I'm assuming you're saying his knee was down before the ball crossed the plane. GP could have that reviewed if he felt like it.

It was very clear. The CBS-CS crew showed the replay several times (after the extra point, though). His knee went down at about the 4, his second effort down about the two, the ball finally got near the goal line after his knee was down for the second time.

GP did not challenge because there was no need ---- GP was trying not to increase the scoring margin as it was by that point. Just because GP did not challenge it (or even care to challenge it) does not make a correct call. If the game had been 0-0 at the point, he would have challenged it and won the challenge.

dweller

Replay showed it clearly, he was down at the one. His knee was on the two yard line and the ball at the one. I don't think it would have a difference, they probably would have scored anyway. No real gain for GP to challenge that call, would have made him look petty. I would have loved the shutout.

Army Frog Fan

It took decades for the Frogs to shut out 2 opponents in a row again. My guess is doing it twice in 1 season may be a bit too much to ask.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Rather than challenge the call, I wish he would have called a time out. Same result; the replay officials would have had nothing else to do but review it more closely. I can't help but think they would have reversed it with all the closeup camera work showing the error. One never knows...a fumble, interception, or terrific goal line stand might have preserved the shutout.

Burner1

Tier 1
Doubtful that we shut out San Diego State. They have some offensive weapons. We need to run, run, run and keep their offense on the bench.

Cougar/Frog

We are currently 5 ppg better than No. 2 on the list, Boise St. While Boise still has two cupcakes, Fresno, and Nevada left --- Nevada has scored a lot of points on Boise over the last couple years, just coming up short. Boise should not even up close. Likewise on passing defense numbers (although the Horns are close because no one cares to pass on them because they can run at will and win, ala UCLA, K St, etc.).

Dogfrog

I don't know the records, but just a fun comparison - per Wiki, TCU 1938 NC team gave up 60 points on defense over a 10 game schedule. However, if you add up the scores over that schedule it adds up to only 53. So depending on what's accurate, that team gave up either 5.3 or 6.0 ppg, while scoring a total of 269 points during the season.

tcumaniac

Doubtful that we shut out San Diego State. They have some offensive weapons. We need to run, run, run and keep their offense on the bench.

im pretty sure people were saying that it was doubtful that we'd hold utah to anything less than a few touchdowns... utah is way better than SDSU and we're playing at home.. a shutout, though unlikely, could happen.

side note: was that "touchdown" scored on the same drive the refs called the mysterious holding call on our secondary?

HoustonHornedFrog

Didn't this game teach you run, run, run guys anything? Just about the only time all day that our offense didn't stay on the field and keep Utah away from the ball were the few times when we just ran the ball and ignored what had worked all game, the pass. We averaged less than 4 per carry yesterday. What we need to do, like we did today is run the plays that work against the defense they are playing. Dalton checked off time after time and I can only remember a couple that didn't work out well for the Frogs. We just need to keep going with what is working and yesterday it was letting Andy throw the ball.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when I agree that we should run it down their throats until they show they can stop the run. But you can't just assume that that will always be what will work. Yesterday was one of the days that it wasn't working.

HoustonHornedFrog

im pretty sure people were saying that it was doubtful that we'd hold utah to anything less than a few touchdowns... utah is way better than SDSU and we're playing at home.. a shutout, though unlikely, could happen.

Saw several posts here how we would lose our national lead in scoring defense and total defense after the Utah game. Instead, we lower our yards allowed per game and points allowed per game. The team that was on the field yesterday would beat anyone in the country.

Endless Purple

I don't know the records, but just a fun comparison - per Wiki, TCU 1938 NC team gave up 60 points on defense over a 10 game schedule. However, if you add up the scores over that schedule it adds up to only 53. So depending on what's accurate, that team gave up either 5.3 or 6.0 ppg, while scoring a total of 269 points during the season.
53 pts over the regular season plus 7 in the Sugar Bowl = 60

Endless Purple

1st and goal from the 1 would have been awfully hard to stop as Utah was on a roll that drive. Utah very likely would have scored The right call was made to not challenge it since it really would have made no difference in the outcome of the game.