• The KillerFrogs

If TCU decides to change men's BB coach

Denton Frog

We ought to take a long look at Johnny Jones at University of North Texas. He inherited an underperforming program that had some promise but was hard to recruit to, and has turned it around. His most recent class is pretty darn good - I'd say better than anything we've had in last 8 - 9 years. He recruits Texas well and bet he would do great job what with us going to BE.

And while I hate to talk about changing coaches, have to agree that we haven't made any progress this year - if anything, have gone backwards. Last nite at DMC was way too much like the ND tenure for my comfort - matador defense, bad foul shooting, clanging misses from the field and no offensive rbeounding to speak of - heck, most times not even
one of our guys down low to make an effort to get the ball. And I don't see a ton of talent in pipeline. Think we may need to make a change before 2012, otherwiwse will be awfully grim in BE.

Horned Toad

I don't know about Jones but one way or the other we need someone who knows Texas high schools, can recruit Texas kids, can get 2 and 3 star commitments and coach them up to be 3 and 4 star players. We know the blueprint.

kurtfrog

I agree that Jones would be worth a look. He has done a very good job of building that program. He has another great team this year that should make the tournament.

Fender

I'm not interested at all in Johnny Jones. Billy Gillispie has to be the guy. I rather spend more money on his coaching pedigree than take a chance on someone else.

PurpleBlood87

I'm not interested at all in Johnny Jones. Billy Gillispie has to be the guy. I rather spend more money on his coaching pedigree than take a chance on someone else.
Did you ever wonder why Gillispie hasn't been hired by someone yet, if he is so great? That guy has a ton of baggage. But you will get Greggo at games.

Young and Horned

Think Billy Boy is not the path we need to go down. Dude is a scumbag. Lets not turn into win at any cost.

And I think once we get into the BE, our program will no longer be perceived as a black hole. But we MUST put some money into the DMC and show we are committed to winning. That is why baseball is so successful. We committed early and we were rewarded.

police1287

Jamie Dixon isnt going to leave Pitt.But CDC should sure call him and get his opinion on who might be the best young guy for the Frogs to look at.

Moe Iba

Just because we are moving to the Big East does not guarantee us anything. Without a coach who can recruit we aren't going to get players just because we are in the best conference. The best players want to win, not just play against winners.

People seem to think that all of a sudden top tier recruits will want to play for us because we are in the Big East. There are what, 18 other better options for basketball schools within the conference?

Just because we are moving to the Big East does not guarantee us anything. Without a coach who can recruit we aren't going to get players just because we are in the best conference. The best players want to win, not just play against winners.

People seem to think that all of a sudden top tier recruits will want to play for us because we are in the Big East. There are what, 18 other better options for basketball schools within the conference?

Agreed. Great players want to play on a great team.

masterfrog

I don't know about Jones but one way or the other we need someone who knows Texas high schools, can recruit Texas kids, can get 2 and 3 star commitments and coach them up to be 3 and 4 star players. We know the blueprint.
That may be the blueprint for football, but it is not the blueprint for baseball or basketball. In basketball you only have 5 starters, so if we want to compete in the Big East, we need 4 star recruits. Plus, in basketball and baseball, players don't usually redshirt. They come to play. I assume (and I know that is wrong with our men's basketball program) that every player recruited this year should be able to come in and start from day one. The Big East should be a big enough draw to take our recruiting to the next level. Unlike the MWC, in the Big East, we can pretty much guarantee to a recruit that they will be playing in the best non professional league in the world. If they have dreams of the next level, are from Texas, and want to go to school in Texas, there is really no other school that could offer them what TCU can.

Tom Brown

Johnny Jones would've been worth a look if we were staying in the MWC, but the mountain is now steeper. I think we have to have someone with Big East, SEC, Big 10, Big 12, or ACC coaching experience.

Any assistants considered need to come from premiere programs, and the focus should be Big East.

This hire is as big as any TCU has ever made.

Moe Iba

According to a couple articles I found that were written when CJC was hired, he makes around $600,000 annually and is signed through the 2012-13 season.