• The KillerFrogs

"I want to kill him;" Bengals LB coach on Dawson's play (it turns out well)

ShreveFrog

This is a blurb from bengals.com on Paul Dawson's game last night:
DAWSON SEEKING CONSISTENCY: Rookie linebacker P.J. Dawson blew up a screen in the second half Saturday night as the third-round pick gets more and more comfortable. That wasn’t the play that impressed Burke, though. Later in the game, Burke was amazed what he saw from the press box as defensive lineman De Shawn Williams covered another screen.
“(Dawson) is a back-side dropper. He sees it before anybody on the field sees it,” Burke said. “He starts running across the field . .. I want to kill him. . . .but he saw it . . .He made a couple of plays other guys just can’t make.”
Burke is working on melding those first-class instincts with technique. Dawson led the Big 12 in tackling for Texas Christian with speed he moves can’ get away with in the NFL.
“He hasn’t been a take-on linebacker,” Burke said. “We’re working on his hands.” . . .

So it sounds like Dawson is up to his ol' tricks of blowing up plays -- but going off script from his assignment and giving his coach some heartburn.  Those "No! No! No! ...  Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! kind of plays.

TRF51

I watched the game this morning.  He is a beast, it really is not fair for him to be out there with the number 2s and number 3s.  The guys who do the Bengals play by play even hinted at it on TV.

He is better then who they have starting in front of him.  I don't understand why he is not playing over a few of the guys.

GO_DJ

Ticket Exchange Pass
One of my favorite plays of his from last year was during the 4th quarter of the Peach Bowl.  Ole Miss was about on our 10 yard line and he overran a pass to the flat.  If he would have throttle down it would have been 6 the other way.  Not bad for a 4.7 guy.

yurintroubl

TRF51 said:
I watched the game this morning.  He is a beast, it really is not fair for him to be out there with the number 2s and number 3s.  The guys who do the Bengals play by play even hinted at it on TV.

He is better then who they have starting in front of him.  I don't understand why he is not playing over a few of the guys.

Because he's getting away with freelancing vs. 2nd and 3rd teamers... but won't always go well if it's vs 1st team guys.

I think a heavy dose of special teams will help his "lane integrity" mindset.