• The KillerFrogs

How likely is ESPN Gameday?

How likely is Nov 6th College Gameday??

• Total voters

neo926

If LSU is still undefeated it'll be LSU/Alabama. Don't know that they'd do it for two one loss teams, however.

Dogfrog

ESPN may hate the non AQ's but they aren't hated equally. ESPN's favorite non AQ is Utah because they will be an ESPN property starting next season. Next favorite is Boise because Boise is an ESPN property this season. That's why ESPN seems to be promoting Boise. TCU is ESPN's least favorite because we are not an ESPN property this year and, assuming we stay in the MWC, we won't be next year either. That's why they mostly ignore us. Isn't ESPN great for college football?

KornFrog

I would be surprised if they went with LSU/Alabama. I don't think LSU will beat Auburn, but even if they did, Gameday has already done Alabama twice and they don't really care to constantly offer up the "game of the week" as the SEC/CBS primetime game.

They had no problem choosing what most would consider a less intriguing matchup this week in OU v. Mizzou in lieu of AU v. LSU, as the benefit was clear when it came to hyping the game on their own network.

Obviously, TCU v. Utah does not have the luxury of being on ABC or ESPN, but we also don't pose the type of ratings threat LSU v. Alabama does. And, they have only done one non-aq this year. I think they will definitely choose us should we both be undefeated.

Ravenous Ute

ESPN may hate the non AQ's but they aren't hated equally. ESPN's favorite non AQ is Utah because they will be an ESPN property starting next season. Next favorite is Boise because Boise is an ESPN property this season. That's why ESPN seems to be promoting Boise. TCU is ESPN's least favorite because we are not an ESPN property this year and, assuming we stay in the MWC, we won't be next year either. That's why they mostly ignore us. Isn't ESPN great for college football?

Actually short of Andrea Adelson & Craig Herbstreet no one is mentioning Utah in the BCS buster conversation... amazingly they couldn't find a single highlight when they reviewed the top 10 after the Iowa State game!

BigEasyFrog

does the 1:30 local kick affect ESPN's decision? It seems like all the games are night games when Gameday is in town.
Possibly so, good point. Regardless of what is thought about ESPN and despite having no TV contractual ties to the network, we/Utah/BYU proved last year that such a thing can be done. It can certanily happen again.

neo926

does the 1:30 local kick affect ESPN's decision? It seems like all the games are night games when Gameday is in town.
I don't see why it would. Gameday is a morning show, Utah/TCU wouldn't be on an ESPN network regardless, so why do they care what time it's on?

Dogfrog

Actually short of Andrea Adelson & Craig Herbstreet no one is mentioning Utah in the BCS buster conversation... amazingly they couldn't find a single highlight when they reviewed the top 10 after the Iowa State game!

I'm starting to hear more people assume a Utah win over TCU this year, but I think both TCU and Utah are being ignored to an extent. You may have noticed that part of the ESPN "schtick" when it comes to the MWC teams is that it hurts us because "nobody sees the MWC play. Nobody can find them on TV". Well in Houston, I have had 11 of 12 TCU games available to me on my basic cable package this year. Ten on Saturday, one on Friday. The ESPN comments are understandably self serving, suggesting that you must be on ESPN in order to be taken seriously and win votes in the polls. That is part of why ESPN would prefer to have Boise be the only non AQ make it this year. They can then say that Boise's ESPN affiliation helped get them there, and continue saying Utah and TCU were hurt because we were not ESPN properties. It's just business, but sad for college football.

frogbyproxy

I can see Air Force beating Utah also but amazed at the point spreads people are putting on the AF v TCU game. We were at 16.5 and CFN has us winning at 28.5. AF is a good team this year and thought it might be a little tighter than what eveyone is projecting but I love it. Utah may as well get ready to see two losses on their record. :tongue: