• The KillerFrogs

How good is SMU's passing game?

tetonfrog

It's interesting to read how our defense's biggest challenge going into SMU is stopping its running game. I watched some of the Mustangs game against A&M and I wonder if they have improved much on offense. That is the same Aggie D that got smoked by OSU. New QB McDermett has OK numbers, but wins against UTEP, NW State and Memphis don't impress me. Four TDs to three picks.....that is not mind blowing.

Can he sting us with the deep ball? Are their receivers any good? The Frogs have certainly been shaky at times this year against the pass, but is SMU really going to challenge us? With Line running hard last year, I thought June did us a favor when they threw the ball. And I find that hilarious when talking about a run-and-shoot team (I had season tickets during the Warren Moon Oiler years and watched the Matt Vogler-David Klingler shootout at The Dome).

Their receivers have pretty good numbers (Johnson averages 14 yards a catch with two TDs) and I'm curious to see how our defense responds. This will be our first test against a "real" passing team after Baylor.

I hope we respond. Losing to Baylor and SMU in the same season would be just awful. Time to fire the guys up and keep the Skillett!

fdub

their best receiver (Cole Beasley) is injured and probably not playing Saturday. Johnson and Thompson appear to be the next top receivers. I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if SMU doesn't put on a pretty good show through the air.

pcf

I thought the story of their game against the Aggies was how many things they could and should have accomplished offensively. They had opportunities that they couldn't finish.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Here's what they did Saturday against Memphis (a bad team but still ...)

Mustangs Shutout Memphis 42-0

McDermott Throws For 357 Yards In Convincing Win

Sept. 24, 2011

Final Stats | Notes | Photo Gallery
media-icon-photogallery.gif

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- J.J. McDermott threw for three touchdowns and 357 yards to lead SMU in a 42-0 rout of Memphis Saturday.

The Mustangs (3-1, 2-0 Conference USA) dominated from the outset, as James Richardson returned the opening kickoff 33 yards before the offense drove the final 63 on seven plays. Zach Line finished it off with his first of three consecutive 1-yard TD runs.

Line finished with 136 yards on 20 carries to set up McDermott's passing game. McDermott went to the air 44 times, completing 28 passes. Darius Johnson caught 10 of those for 116 yards and two touchdowns, and Der'rikk Thompson had six catches for 104 yards and a 44-yard touchdown.

Memphis (1-3, 0-1) got into the red zone just once, reaching first-and-goal from the 10 late in the first half. However, Reed, who finished with 153 yards on 17-of-32 passing, threw three straight incompletions.

The Mustangs return to action next Saturday when they travel across the Metroplex to Fort Worth to face arch-rival TCU. Kickoff is slated for 2:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on CBS Sports.

cdsfrog

Memphis is ranked 168th and should be 200th to be honest

SMU fans will tell you and it's true that elite Texas high school teams could beat them.

Take that game out and their passing game is awful. Nothing has changed with their QB. They have a terrible offensive line, get any pressure and he will crumble

asleep003

It's interesting to read how our defense's biggest challenge going into SMU is stopping its running game. I watched some of the Mustangs game against A&M and I wonder if they have improved much on offense. That is the same Aggie D that got smoked by OSU. New QB McDermett has OK numbers, but wins against UTEP, NW State and Memphis don't impress me. Four TDs to three picks.....that is not mind blowing.

Can he sting us with the deep ball? Are their receivers any good? The Frogs have certainly been shaky at times this year against the pass, but is SMU really going to challenge us? With Line running hard last year, I thought June did us a favor when they threw the ball. And I find that hilarious when talking about a run-and-shoot team (I had season tickets during the Warren Moon Oiler years and watched the Matt Vogler-David Klingler shootout at The Dome).

Their receivers have pretty good numbers (Johnson averages 14 yards a catch with two TDs) and I'm curious to see how our defense responds. This will be our first test against a "real" passing team after Baylor.

I hope we respond. Losing to Baylor and SMU in the same season would be just awful. Time to fire the guys up and keep the Skillett!

If SMU hadn't had a few miscues early on, they could have had the mental edge, as they were really out playing the Aggies. And if we start out like usual against the Ponies, we're dinner on a platter. So we Have To come out of the gates like no other game, this week... and the next week too!

Cheer!

angelo's frog

The big back getting loose on draws has been a staple of the run and shoot since Lorenzo White and Mike Rozier played for the Oilers. The problem is running it when they know you have to run it such as short yardage or when you're trying to kill clock. I feel confident that we will play the draw better this year. I also think that we can get some pressure on the QB and force some ints. Crowd should be into it and that should also make a difference.

BigPonyFan

their best receiver (Cole Beasley) is injured and probably not playing Saturday. Johnson and Thompson appear to be the next top receivers. I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if SMU doesn't put on a pretty good show through the air.

SMU should keep it entertaining. While Beasley has been the most used, there is very little drop-off after him. SMU has 8-10 very talented WR's...a little pron to fumble, but talented no less. QB on the other hand...

Frog Attack II

Said this before the ULM game and I'll say it again.

For this year, if the opposing team has a pulse and even remotely knows how to throw the forward pass, then I am worried.

However, the key to beating SMU will be stopping Line. Really impressed w/ him. I fear that it will be a lot like Baylor.

f_399

we lost to by 2 points to the 2nd best maybe even the best qb in the nation, it was also the 1st game for a "rookie" team

i think we will do better against smu

RaiderHater

we lost to by 2 points to the 2nd best maybe even the best qb in the nation, it was also the 1st game for a "rookie" team

i think we will do better against smu

Agree. I've never seen a QB more accurate on the deep ball ever than Griffin that night. And our young D was in shock. SMU's QB and WR's are no where near Baylor quality. I say SMU scores 21-24 points and we win by about 2 TD's. We let up a couple big plays, but I don't see our getting smoked the whole game.

Comet7745

Memphis is ranked 168th and should be 200th to be honest

SMU fans will tell you and it's true that elite Texas high school teams could beat them.

Take that game out and their passing game is awful. Nothing has changed with their QB. They have a terrible offensive line, get any pressure and he will crumble
That's not really true... However, I will agree that our games against Memphis and Northwestern State are not good barometers as to what we can or can't do to TCU's defense.

cdsfrog

That's not really true... However, I will agree that our games against Memphis and Northwestern State are not good barometers as to what we can or can't do to TCU's defense.

Memphis is the worst FBS team I have seen in a long time