• The KillerFrogs

How Does this Feel for Folks Not at TCU During SWC Days?

FrogsMcGee

When my family moved to Texas and my Mom took a job teaching at TCU, I got to experience TCU games as a member of the SWC for 4 years. It was enlightening, but I didn't see many wins. In the years past, my football knowledge significantly increased, but we were in conferences that prohibited much traveling to away games. I didn't attend a conference away game as a member of the MWC until last year in Utah. I had been to conference games against Houston and SMU in years prior, but don't count those anymore. Now, here I am living in California and our move to the Big 12 is likely going to result in me buying season tickets, flying back for every home game, and likely for 2-3 road games per year as well. I wouldn't have made that financial commitment with our schedule in the past 10 years, nor would I have been able to. Now that the career is progressing alongside the home schedule, I'm ready to make that commitment.

TCUSA

Don't forget the San Jose St and SMU games that kept us out of BCS games two other times too.

If the current criteria had been in place yes--as it was, no, we weren't even close to being considered for a BCS game even if we'd run those two out of the stadium.

Houston Frog

There are so many reasons that this move is great, but like someone else said, one of the main reasons I'm so elated is because I know I'll never have to have that argument again.... the one about the level of competition we play and how we'd do in a "real" conference. I've had that argument roughly 97 times in the past few years, and I'm so over it. It's like arguing religion or politics, no one has ever convinced the other side of anything in the history of the argument.

And then obviously, it'll be nice to play the schools that all my friends went to. It'll just make it more fun, not being that outsider looking in. Now they'll all take me more seriously when we're talking football.... I won't have to justify our ranking and what not

rifram09

I'm a class of '09er. I grew up in Texas, but I never really knew anything about TCU until LT showed up on campus. Even then, I wasn't REALLY following TCU football, I just knew who they were. My older brother went to TCU in 03, and that was my first season to actually watch TCU games. What a great starter, huh? I watched all season and never saw them lose. My whole family had the original BCS buster shirts. The loss to Southern Miss was disappointing, but it didn't really sting because I wasn't that invested. The OU game in 05 was my freshman year. That was the first time I got pissed off about the inequities of college football. It has been a wild ride. Even though I wasn't around for the SWC days, my TCU experience has been enough to have me TOTALLY invested in the the Frogs.

The main difference between me and a TCU fan from the SWC days is that I have NEVER witnessed TCU play all of the top schools from our region in a single season. I've been forced to look forward to one big regional game a year. It is going to be AWESOME to play all of these schools. And it is going to be AWESOME to beat the B12 schools and watch their fans have nothing to say except, "well, good game."

pcf

The main difference between me and a TCU fan from the SWC days is that I have NEVER witnessed TCU play all of the top schools from our region in a single season. I've been forced to look forward to one big regional game a year. It is going to be AWESOME to play all of these schools. And it is going to be AWESOME to beat the B12 schools and watch their fans have nothing to say except, "well, good game."

Then again, maybe they just call it a fluke. I wouldn't hold out for much from some of these people.

The greatest lesson on some of this stuff is listening to the play by play guys for the other teams after the game. Stanford gave real respect after we beat them out there. OU acted like they'd been beaten by a Pop Warner team and were panicked.

I'm TCU Class of 2006, no family connections to TCU, and grew up most of my life in Big Ten and Notre Dame country. I have absolutely no childhood recollection of the SWC. In fact, most of what I know about it has come from my elders on this board.

That being said, it sent chills down my spine when Boschini finally confirmed what we all knew was coming. College football is pretty much an unhealthy obsession for me, and I always found it very discouraging to feel as a TCU (non-AQ) fan that I was on the outside looking in.

My personal TCU journey has basically been all about this path to BCS AQ. Sitting in the rain for a Wednesday night thriller against Louisville, throwing Tostitos at Guidugli in my "Crashing the BCS" t-shirt, getting hammered to forget the Southern Miss loss, the shocker in Norman followed by the even bigger shocker on the Hilltop, shutting down Leach in Fort Worth, ProCombat unis, GameDay and the Utah game, 2100 miles roundtrip for the crushing Fiesta Bowl loss, and then the 13-0 journey of last year capped by the college football fan's wet dream in Pasadena.

So now that we're here, what does that feel like? I don't know, but I can't wait until next season to find out.

I can only imagine what it must feel like for those of you that have been there since the SWC snub. And while I'm sure it burned at the time, the satisfaction you must now feel has to be great. In fact, while I'm grateful for my own experiences, I envy yours. So congrats. And here's to another 13-0 season in the not-too-distant future.

Latest posts