• The KillerFrogs

How Does this Feel for Folks Not at TCU During SWC Days?

d.c.frog

I worked for the team during the SWC days and then also after the demise of the SWC. Thinking about the team and fans being able to go back to those great old rivalries is great for me -- it was certainly a let down when we stopped traveling to the SWC destinations and starting traveling all over the map. Do the folks who were not at TCU during the SWC days have that same sense of nostalgia or is everyone just generally excited to beat Texas!

illini_frog

I don't have nostalgia per se, but getting to play big name teams as opposed to Colorado State and New Mexico is really really exciting.

njustus7

Sweet, I live out of state, but I think I'll fly back more now. Most of the competition up to now has been kinda faceless, except when we played Tech, UT, and OU - I remember all those vividly. And I'm so stoked UT can't avoid us anymore!!

UltimateFrog

Not so much nostalgia as recognizing the immense opportunity towards winning a national championship and playing in meaningful games 8-10 games a year instead of 3-4 games

d.c.frog

Hey njustus7 -- I am in the same boat -- I definitely plan on flying back for more games. I've had 2 season tickets for 13 years and probably used them 4 times total (I give them away though)

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Please...it's nowhere near the same feeling.

However, as a 10+ year Frog Fan, I've seen the loss to Southern Miss that kept us out of a BCS bowl the first time. The loss to Utah that did the same. I've listened to all the "but you don't play anybody" nonsense from fans of teams half as good as the Frogs. And I've been to Pasadena.

It's not the same feeling, but it feels damn good.

MN Frog

Just straight up elation here. I live in the middle of Big Ten country and also have many ISU and KU alumni as friends. It will be great to actually talk about my Frogs and not have to hear "they don't play anyone". It will also be nice to be able to travel to some games, KU, ISU, etc. I can't wait to get to Ft. Worth for a game and experience the new tailgate atmosphere!

njustus7

However, as a 10+ year Frog Fan, I've seen the loss to Southern Miss that kept us out of a BCS bowl the first time. The loss to Utah that did the same. I've listened to all the "but you don't play anybody" nonsense from fans of teams half as good as the Frogs. And I've been to Pasadena.
Don't forget the San Jose St and SMU games that kept us out of BCS games two other times too.

This is huge for me, and although I'm a class of 05'er, I grew up a TCU and SWC fan. My parents never went to college, so I had no rooting interests growing up and basically got to choose my own. This all seemed like a pipe dream back in the WAC and CUSA days.

Dogfrog

I remember those days as embarrassing. We got our ...kicked every single game. I hope the commitment is in place to never ever go back there again.

It feels great to be playing teams we know and have animosity toward. It's going to be fun to see all these teams that never wanted to play us have to every year.

SnoSki

As a person whose first game as a frog fan was the 2005 victory in Norman, I always have believed we could be a legitimate 1 or 2 in the Big 12. I dont't believe we will be #3 behind OU and UT. I believe the Big 12 will instead be ruled by "The 3 Amigos of I-35."

IMAFROGDAD2

My son arrived at TCU in the fall of 1998. TCU was 1-10 the previous season. Our local high school had lost only 10 games in four years. We were such big football fans, so we really wanted TCU to be at least fun to watch.
Retrospectively, it all worked out. TCU upset a ranked Air Force team early that season, then we went to El Paso to finish the season with a bowl victory over USC.
That 1998 seems like a lifetime ago, but what a fun ride it has been!
Looking forward to more memories in the making with the Big XII.

Horny 4 Life

Meh, I'm from PA and have no ties to the SWC. I graduated well after the SWC resentment had filtered through the program/school. It's cool that we get to play with the big boys now and I know it means a lot to a vast majority of the TCU students and Alumni, so that's good. I'm just sad that I miss out on the Big East road trips and bragging about TCU dominance among all my Big East alum friends.

Sangria Wine

First game at ACS in 1986. I'm as excited about this as a kid at Christmas. I cannot wait to start the parade of old rivals through next season. The smack tall among friends has already started just based on the invitation. Once games actually start it will be in high gear. I can't wait!