• The KillerFrogs

Holgerson out at Houston

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Why?

Because he high-fived our QB one time? I seriously don’t understand our fan bases obsession and admiration for the guy.
Because he is a part of the Coaching Tree that produced the offense that TCU is currently using. He is, at present, not connected with TCU and thus can look upon what is going on with fresh eyes. There is a strong possibility that he will be able to help guide things along far better than they are going at present.

You just argue for the sake of argument, don't you...

hometown frog

Almost wouldn’t surprise me if OU doesn’t try and pick up Holgo for their OC position now that Lebby is off to Miss St. So I’m not sure he’d be available for a special assistant role at TCU even if Sonny was interested.

Frog-in-law1995

Why?

Because he high-fived our QB one time? I seriously don’t understand our fan bases obsession and admiration for the guy.
Because when his duties have only included offense, he’s been massively successful. He just got Peter-principled as a HC. Nttawwt?

Edit: it’s also the hair.

swcfrog

Always liked him. He’d be a great fit for an offensive analyst here if he wanted a year to sit back and assess what’s out there. I suspect he’ll be in demand as an OC though. Arky has probably already called him.
Send Briles to Houston and let him totally take their program to Hell.

Because he is a part of the Coaching Tree that produced the offense that TCU is currently using.
He's not, really. Art Briles developed this veer 'n shoot offense at Stephenville before he ever coached at the college level. It's true Briles and Holgerson coached under Leach, but not this offense. When he coached with Holgerson, they were running the Air Raid. Here's the coaching tree as of a few years ago. It now includes Joe Jon Finley and Josh Heupel at Tennessee, as well as Jeff Lebby.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Feb556081-57ee-4d1c-b02e-1975fce3db29_960x540.jpeg

For more: https://americaswargame.substack.co...ted with Art,after being fired amidst scandal.

Sangria Wine

does that mean we don't have to pay him as much?
I believe Gary’s buyout was a lump sum payment of $11.5MM in addition to his 2021 annual salary. GP had a big tax bill for 2021, but I can’t see that his taking another head coaching job would impact the TCU books at this point.

Most of the head coaches contracts nowadays do not even include the provision of payment reduction/elimination if the coach accepts another head coaching job. Jimbo could in theory take another lower level head coaching job for $5-7MM for next year and keep getting Aggie money. Although if I had 75 million coming my way over the coming number of years I’d probably just call myself retired.

Wexahu

He's not, really. Art Briles developed this veer 'n shoot offense at Stephenville before he ever coached at the college level. It's true Briles and Holgerson coached under Leach, but not this offense. When he coached with Holgerson, they were running the Air Raid. Here's the coaching tree as of a few years ago. It now includes Joe Jon Finley and Josh Heupel at Tennessee, as well as Jeff Lebby.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Feb556081-57ee-4d1c-b02e-1975fce3db29_960x540.jpeg

For more: https://americaswargame.substack.com/p/the-veer-and-shoot-part-i#:~:text=It all originated with Art,after being fired amidst scandal.
Besides. wouldn’t it be another “buddy” hire since Dykes and Holgerson coached together at Tech?

Not directing this at you but let me get this straight, are we ok with “buddy” hires or are those not ok?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

For more: https://americaswargame.substack.com/p/the-veer-and-shoot-part-i#:~:text=It all originated with Art,after being fired amidst scandal.
I would venture to say that the Elder Briles based his offense on the Jack Pardee/Mouse Davis Run and Shoot offense of the Houston Gamblers of the USFL, and later Pardee's UH "Point-A-Minute" offense with Andre Ware. None of these concepts are particularly new, they just get dusted off and carted out from time to time and are successful until somebody else makes an adjustment...

IMHO, the thing that made that UH offense so fabulous was having a string of really good QBs and WRs to run it. David Dacus, David Klingler, and Andre Ware were fabulous, but it was Ware who had the Magician's Touch of play-fakes that everybody bit on, or the naked bootleg that everybody bit on. Expert prestidigitation.

Frog-in-law1995

I would venture to say that the Elder Briles based his offense on the Jack Pardee/Mouse Davis Run and Shoot offense of the Houston Gamblers of the USFL, and later Pardee's UH "Point-A-Minute" offense with Andre Ware. None of these concepts are particularly new, they just get dusted off and carted out from time to time and are successful until somebody else makes an adjustment...

IMHO, the thing that made that UH offense so fabulous was having a string of really good QBs and WRs to run it. David Dacus, David Klingler, and Andre Ware were fabulous, but it was Ware who had the Magician's Touch of play-fakes that everybody bit on, or the naked bootleg that everybody bit on. Expert prestidigitation.
One of my best friends and college roommates (and now my cousin-in-law)…his dad - a former frog - was an offensive assistant on those Gamblers teams. Worked under June Jones before leaving to coach HS down in your neck of the woods. I’ve read everything I can about those teams. Fascinating stuff for football nerds. Wish I’d gotten to meet him but died in a car wreck before I met his boys.