• The KillerFrogs

Holgerson out at Houston

Frog Brother

Always liked him. He’d be a great fit for an offensive analyst here if he wanted a year to sit back and assess what’s out there. I suspect he’ll be in demand as an OC though. Arky has probably already called him.
I came to ask a related question:

If Holgerson isn't picked up right away but someone else, how would y'all feel about Holgerson as our OC when tape-fingers is out after next season?

LisaLT

If Holgerson isn't picked up right away but someone else, how would y'all feel about Holgerson as our OC when tape-fingers is out after next season?
I would think he'd be working elsewhere by then, and likely as a HC, but I do love Holgy. I'd be fine with that hire.

LisaLT

Houston is dumb if they don’t go after Gary Patterson and Gary would be crazy not to listen. It is a Big 12 job and he would have access to the Houston talent pool and very little meddling from “big cigars” to deal with.
Scary to think about, but I agree with you. That is an interesting opportunity if GP were interested. I'd bet that if his agent reached out, he'd be a top candidate.

Sangria Wine

I mean Houston could just go with the hire that would make them the talk of the entire football world. Grab them nuts, walk up to the podium and introduce Art Briles as your new (again) head coach!!!

tetonfrog

Scary to think about, but I agree with you. That is an interesting opportunity if GP were interested. I'd bet that if his agent reached out, he'd be a top candidate.
GP is a good candidate until he tells the UH AD who fills out his coaching staff "that is ready to go." Who is his OC? OL coach? DC?

LisaLT

GP is a good candidate until he tells the UH AD who fills out his coaching staff "that is ready to go." Who is his OC? OL coach? DC?
I'm sure he'd have ideas on that - if he were serious about the position. He's had a lot of time to be an observer. He's already mentioned he wants to get back into coaching.
Question - is anyone on Holgy's staff worth keeping? I've got no idea who did what over there.

Wexahu

I would think he'd be working elsewhere by then, and likely as a HC, but I do love Holgy. I'd be fine with that hire.
Relative to the scrutiny other coaches get, I can’t believe his DH always seems to get a free pass. I think his persona or charisma or whatever you want to call it has pretty much carried his coaching career. The results are not really there at all.

A little like Kingsbury. Always getting jobs better than what the track record indicates they should get.

LisaLT

Relative to the scrutiny other coaches get, I can’t believe his DH always seems to get a free pass. I think his persona or charisma or whatever you want to call it has pretty much carried his coaching career. The results are not really there at all.

A little like Kingsbury. Always getting jobs better than what the track record indicates they should get.
no doubt his personality and passion have been a huge factor. I get the impression the players like him. He's not been wildly successful that is true, but he's not been horrible either. Perhaps his next move might be an OC.

Frog-in-law1995

Well, considering our offense ranked 27th in the country last year, then lost 8 players (7 of NFL caliber), and improved to 13th in the country this year, I’d probably prefer to keep the guy responsible for that over the guy whose offense couldn’t find the endzone against our defense in his own stadium. But that’s just me.

Last edited: