• The KillerFrogs

Hey yall, Syracuse fan here with a question

upstate

Just wondering what your thoughts on recruiting will be with joining the BCS. Is the general concensus in agreement that TCU will start branching eastward, and is there any concern with other BE schools trying to get into Texas, though there have been few kids coming out of TX and heading to the BE. Is this something most TCU fans are expecting our of the Frogs and other BE schools? Personally, I don't see many BE schools using the "TCU Pipeline" into Texas to grab recruits, though I'm sure that some will try, I just doubt their success. OTOH, I really can see TCU taking complete advantage of the new East Coast market and doing well. Sorry if this is just beating a dead horse on your forum, just curious to hear your viewpoints. Good luck this season and I'm looking forward to playing you guys and hopefully making a trip down to your beautiful campus one of these days.

namollec

Just wondering what your thoughts on recruiting will be with joining the BCS. Is the general concensus in agreement that TCU will start branching eastward, and is there any concern with other BE schools trying to get into Texas, though there have been few kids coming out of TX and heading to the BE. Is this something most TCU fans are expecting our of the Frogs and other BE schools? Personally, I don't see many BE schools using the "TCU Pipeline" into Texas to grab recruits, though I'm sure that some will try, I just doubt their success. OTOH, I really can see TCU taking complete advantage of the new East Coast market and doing well. Sorry if this is just beating a dead horse on your forum, just curious to hear your viewpoints. Good luck this season and I'm looking forward to playing you guys and hopefully making a trip down to your beautiful campus one of these days.

Welcome to the forum! I hoping the BE move turns out to be "the tide that raises all boats."

See ya' 'round the Frog boards.

West Coast Johnny

Sure, Syracuse. Go ahead and recruit Texas. Everyone else is doing it. You can take whats left over after TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Nebraska, Kansas, LSU, Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado, Colorado State, Utep, Houston, Rice, Alabama, Auburn, Notre Dame, USC, Utah, BYU, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Minnesota are done.

Kaiser

This is just my opinion, but I'm not concerned about Big East schools coming to Texas for recruits. I think they will, and they will get some recruits, but we already have Texas, Oklahoma, aTm, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, and many other schools fighting over Texas recruits. A few more schools fighting in the recruiting battles isn't going to turn the world of Texas recruiting upside down. Plus Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and the entire MWC lost their conference access to Texas fwiw.

As far as us recruiting the Northeast; I don't know. We are in the running for new jersey's devil fuller. But he is a tcu legacy, but who knows if we'd have a shot if we weren't playing a few northeastern games a year.

TexanMark

Cuse fan here...I think the BE schools will get more access to the second tiered TX recruits...the kids that fill out the class or a sleeper...I don't see many Top 50 TX kids heading NE unless they have a family connection there or in the case of Syracuse maybe the kid wants to get into Sports Broadcasting.

I can see TCU getting into Florida vs the NE.

In basketball...TCU will need to find some kids in the traditional BE recruiting area. I see some elite BE schools cherry picking some TX BB kids in the future.

Froggy Style

I think schools like Louisville will benefit. They already do very well in Florida.

The good thing about getting second tier recruits in Texas is that they aren't much different than the first tier. TCU has shown that scouting and system can be more important than getting top level talent when that talent isn't willing to work as hard.

If TCU gets the same work ethic out of the first tier guys it is now getting, watch out.

HG73

Sure, you'll get some recruits out of Texas. Good ones. How many Div-1 QB's are from Texas? I don't know exactly, but tons of them. Now how many kids up east are going to want to come to TCU? Probably not many at all. But a few would be fine. We should play one OOC game every year out west just to keep our name in the news out there. But there are plenty from just a 100 mile radius of here to have great teams. Basketball? Hopefully we can interest one or two really really good players from here or wherever to come TCU so they can play against the very best. The Mountain West was great for football, but really had no allure whatsoever for local kids to play basketball against even though it was usually had a very competitive RPI (fourth among conferences this year I believe).

Houston Frog

We've already been pulling the occasional player out of Florida, and I suspect we will keep trying to recruit Florida, only now we will have a little more success.

I doubt we will try to recruit the rest of the eastern seaboard, unless we there are special circumstances with a particular player (e.g. Devin Fuller)

Frog89

There are so many legit D1 football prospects down here in high school even just within 50 miles of the TCU campus, it's almost not fair. So I think it will help, for sure. Maybe not right away, but I can't see it doing anything but helping long term. Patterson and staff don't even have to drive 10 miles from campus to talk with 20 or 30 top prospects, and could basically build an entire team with those kinds of players just a few miles away.

oldscribe

In football I would expect the Frogs to look at east coast guys more, and be looked at more, and probably try to cherry pick one good `un every other year or so. BE teams probably will do like MWC teams did, and pay more attention to Texas recruiting and pick up a fair player here and there.

In basketball things are different. Frogs should try to hit more on eastern kids and maybe be successful here and there.

Gunner

Don't you think that there will be some really good fringe players, come to TCU, in order to play in the Big East?
Might be some of that in basketball.

Utah and BYU recruited Texas forever and I think that subsides now with both out of the Mountain West. Especially Utah, going into the Pac 10. BE might pick up a few of those players.

Texas Otto

There are so many legit D1 football prospects down here in high school even just within 50 miles of the TCU campus, it's almost not fair. So I think it will help, for sure. Maybe not right away, but I can't see it doing anything but helping long term. Patterson and staff don't even have to drive 10 miles from campus to talk with 20 or 30 top prospects, and could basically build an entire team with those kinds of players just a few miles away.

I'll offer a real life example my daughter plays socer for Trinity and as with everyone in the Trinity family we are huge footbal fans. The Tusan kid this year ran all over opposing defenses as a very fast scat back type runner and as of signing day did not have one offer 1 A, 1 AA or D II. Now he may have ended up somewhere since as we have been pretty involved in soccer season to notice, but I bet this kid is better than most of the smallish running backs in the northeast IMO. No matter how many schools recruit TX for football there will are enough diamonds in the rough for everyone.

AggieAngst

Do you really think a kid with any other options at all IN STATE, would choose RUTGERS, UCONN or PITT instead of TCU OKLAHOMA or TEXAS ? I think not !!

RUTGERS, UCONN and PITT might get some halfway decent leftovers in the State though - if and only if - nobody else wants them. Big East teams are extremely unlikely to get any of the really good recruits in the State for the foreseeable future.

In addition to great in-state recruiting for TCU, the Frogs already pull the occasional 4 star recruit (or 3 star recruit who is nearly a 4 star) out of the State of Florida (4 star RB Ethan Grant and 3 star SAFETY Jamie Byrd), and TCU is pulling bigtime, major, 4 star talent out of the neighboring Louisiana as well. Out of neighboring Oklahoma TCU just pulled out the # 1 DT prospect in the State to add to two other elite DTs in what is ranked as one of the Top 10 Defensive Tackle classes in the nation for the 2011 class.

We dont see TCU grabbing any 4 star recruits though, from New York City, Boston, or Connecticut, anytime soon if that is what you are asking.

The auto-bid in the Big East is what is going to hugely boost TCU recruiting in the State of Texas. TCU already recruits well in the State, however, some Big 12 schools (ex. - Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Okie St, Lsu) have used negative recruiting against TCU because TCU was not a member of a BCS auto-bid conference (and they are - in the Big 12 or SEC). Now that TCU has joined a BCS Conference the recruiting is already seeing an amazing increase in talent level. Recruits for the first time are turning down impressive offers from AUBURN, ALABAMA, OREGON, TEXAS, OKLAHOMA and other big programs, in order to accept TCU's offer. The talent level is noticeably higher now and getting better by the day. TCU is presently locked in a bitter recruiting battle for a 5 star RB who is the # 1 ranked High School RB in the nation. The kid has eliminated FLORIDA, OHIO ST, AUBURN, USC, and too many others to name, and his two finalists are TCU and TEXAS. If the dramatic upgrade in talent continues at it's present pace, TCU realistically will be playing for the National Championship in a few years - the very recent recruiting has been that good !

AggieAngst

The best kept secret in all of college football is the talent level at TCU. Nobody (except Wisconsin) realizes it or even believes it if they hear it.

USC has 4 probable NFL draftees on their team this year.

TEXAS has 4 also.

OHIO ST has 5.

WISCONSIN has 4.

MICHIGAN ST has 2.

IOWA has 3.

TCU has 8
(the most in all of college football this year)

We will see if all 8 get drafted or not, but 8 Frogs are projected to from various sources.

TCU is for real. Most teams dont understand that, cant comprehend it, cant wrap their brain around a non-bcs team having that much talent, and simply dont believe it.
Which is also why 90% of America was shocked when TCU beat the Big 10 champion and was crowned Rose Bowl Winner and finished the season ranked # 2 in the nation.

Most of America is "surprised" and "shocked" at the little school in Texas that did the impossible. TCU fans (and anyone who knows the talent level of Frog football) arent surprised at all.

TCU is a monster and Big East teams are in for the shock of their young lives in 2012. You guys have no idea what you are in for. No idea at all.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Look. You all (Big East) are going to whoop us in basketball, and we all are going to whoop you in football.

The rest of the country (i.e., fans) do not appreciate the talent level and athletes in Texas. Look at the track and field results nationally--they are Texas-dominated. Only thing kept Wiscy close int eh Rose Bowl were their Florida players.

Houston Frog

USC has 4 probable NFL draftees on their team this year.

TEXAS has 4 also.

OHIO ST has 5.

WISCONSIN has 4.

MICHIGAN ST has 2.

IOWA has 3.

TCU has 8
(the most in all of college football this year)

North Carolina had 12 players at the combine
Miami had 9
Georgia had 8
LSU had 8
USc had 8
TCU had 5 (yes, I know that other TCU players will likely get drafted that weren't at the combine, but I'm sure the situation is the same at other schools as well)

Don't get me wrong, we have great talent, but I don't know where you are getting these so-called facts

AggieAngst

Players at combines and players that will be drafted are two diff things. Lots of guys show up at combines who dont get drafted. And lots of guys who dont go to the combine do get drafted. That is a very bad measuring stick you are using there.

So far the following Tcu players are expected (by one draft source or another) to be drafted -

DE DANIELS
OL KIRKPATRICK
OL CANNON
QB DALTON
CB TEAGUE
S JOHNSON
WR KERLEY
WR YOUNG

on the bubble
DT GRANT
S COLIN JONES
DT GRIFFIN

probably not
TE FROSCH
OL VERNON
S IBILOYE

North Carolina had 12 players at the combine
Miami had 9
Georgia had 8
LSU had 8
USc had 8
TCU had 5 (yes, I know that other TCU players will likely get drafted that weren't at the combine, but I'm sure the situation is the same at other schools as well)

Don't get me wrong, we have great talent, but I don't know where you are getting these so-called facts

Houston Frog

Players at combines and players that will be drafted are two diff things. Lots of guys show up at combines who dont get drafted. And lots of guys who dont go to the combine do get drafted. That is a very bad measuring stick you are using there.

So far the following Tcu players are expected (by one draft source or another) to be drafted -

DE DANIELS
OL KIRKPATRICK
OL CANNON
QB DALTON
CB TEAGUE
S JOHNSON
WR KERLEY
WR YOUNG

on the bubble
DT GRANT
S COLIN JONES
DT GRIFFIN

probably not
TE FROSCH
OL VERNON
S IBILOYE
Everyone knows that not every single player at the combine will get drafted, and everyone also knows that not every player who will get drafted gets invited to the combine. But unless you want to research every senior from every other school's roster, and tell me every single one that shows up on any blogger's mock draft (like you apparently have done with TCU), then we don't have a more valuable tool to compare everyone against, do we?

You don't get invited to the combine unless it's at least likely that you'll get drafted.