• The KillerFrogs

Here we go again - DirecTV and Fox dispute

Horny 4 Life

Saw this yesterday and I was pissed.

Went through this last year when we had Dish. Missed pretty much the whole season of Sunny, which pissed me off.

Picked up DTV for the better package and rate and now I'm gonna have to go through it again. When our contract is up, I may just give it all up. Tired of this BS.

Endless Purple

- I have it on good authority that LHN is going to be added to uVerse in the next 3-4 months, while DTV has essentially said no and won't be adding it anytime soon (LHN wants 40 cents per subscriber and Choice package placement). Now, why would I want LHN? TCU v. UT baseball. Every home game is on the network. I wouldn't mind it.
Slight shift in topic: I will not pay money to directly support UT to the detriment of TCU. Unless UT pays TCU for the appearance on the channel, I will not watch it (including TCU games).

When ESPN creates a channel for each school to have the same opportunities, then I will be willing to subscribe to a package that has them.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Slight shift in topic: I will not pay money to directly support UT to the detriment of TCU. Unless UT pays TCU for the appearance on the channel, I will not watch it (including TCU games).

When ESPN creates a channel for each school to have the same opportunities, then I will be willing to subscribe to a package that has them.

UT's money from ESPN is guaranteed at $10 million per year base for 2012-on. IMG owns the rights to marketing, ESPN will make it's money through rights and 30% ad share.

So, if you end up having the network on your tv package, you will be "paying" them regardless if you watch or not.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Consumers should be protected by law. We sign up for a package of channels and service. If channels or services are removed we should have our bills reduced proportinately.

Endless Purple

UT's money from ESPN is guaranteed at $10 million per year base for 2012-on. IMG owns the rights to marketing, ESPN will make it's money through rights and 30% ad share.

So, if you end up having the network on your tv package, you will be "paying" them regardless if you watch or not.
I know how it works. I will not buy any package that has the channel. From what I have seen, it can also be blocked (thus not counted as a subscriber), which I would have as another option.

Right now, I cannot stop ESPN from paying UT, no one can right now. But I can do my part to help prevent the channel from succeeding so it will fail as soon as possible.

It is a travesty that fans of schools have to pay for a channel that directly benefits one specific competitor. Paying for conference channels benefit many teams and help the sport as a whole. One channel for a single school benefits no one but that school.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
I know how it works. I will not buy any package that has the channel. From what I have seen, it can also be blocked (thus not counted as a subscriber), which I would have as another option.

Right now, I cannot stop ESPN from paying UT, no one can right now. But I can do my part to help prevent the channel from succeeding so it will fail as soon as possible.

It is a travesty that fans of schools have to pay for a channel that directly benefits one specific competitor. Paying for conference channels benefit many teams and help the sport as a whole. One channel for a single school benefits no one but that school.

So say the network was available on every major provider in the US for no extra money. Would it be such a travesty?

Endless Purple

So say the network was available on every major provider in the US for no extra money. Would it be such a travesty?
Yes, as it would mean that UT would be making money from every subscriber out there. After the 10 year contract is up, I believe that UT starts getting a larger percent of the money so they would become even richer. Yes, that is a travesty.

PurplePainD

When did we have a bunch of communists join the board? I knew we had some fascists, but come on folks, we live in America. Everything wrong with America today is the the entitled attitude that we should be given a fair shake at all times and be protected by our government in all areas of life.

Count me in the free market group, only thing I want my federal government protecting me from are bombs, terrorists, and interstate potholes. Pay for what you want or fight back through available [legal] means...

Thread implosion in 3...2...1

FungoFrog

Tier 1
When did we have a bunch of communists join the board? I knew we had some fascists, but come on folks, we live in America. Everything wrong with America today is the the entitled attitude that we should be given a fair shake at all times and be protected by our government in all areas of life.

Count me in the free market group, only thing I want my federal government protecting me from are bombs, terrorists, and interstate potholes. Pay for what you want or fight back through available [legal] means...

Exactly, this is why you won't see me cry about the LHN. I want a Horned Frog Network ASAP so I can see all baseball games in HD as well as the Scheiffer Symposium. I think a lot of people are just upset because they don't have a network, they didn't think of it first.

When OU, OSU, TCU ect. all have their own networks soon and LHN gets all of it's distribution deals done, complaints will slow.

angelo's frog

Dish went through the same thing last year and almost caused me to switch to DTV. FX has the best original programming on TV and FSSW is critical for a college football fan. I'm glad I didn't now. I like the interface on Dish better anyway. My mother in law has DTV and it drives me nuts when I go visit the in-laws on a weekend.

Endless Purple

I agree in most part, but this is not life but a controlled competitive environment. Otherwise, why not teach your team muy thai and let them knock the crap out of the other team. Afterall, they would have the same opportunity.

For a league, there needs to be some competitive balance for all to do well. Using the Big 12 as an example, If UT got so powerful they won every single year, do you believe all the other schools fans would hang around for second place (or third if OU locked up 2nd every year). No. Fans would stop watching and the sport would fade.