• The KillerFrogs

Here we go again - DirecTV and Fox dispute

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
My options limited as well to DTV, Dish or Suddenlink. As soon as I'd switch to Dish they would be in dispute with some content provider. It was a dispite years ago with Viacom that made me switch to DTV, which I like. Dish was recently in dispute with someone like Fox or ESPN. The billionaires argue while the customer is screwed like Rod Gilmore by a gang of donkeys.

Endless Purple

Until we get an a la carte type system where people can pay for the channels we want, this will continue.

The cable and the satellite companies want to pay as little as possible for content to be competitive in charges to customers, while the content providers (channels) want as much as possible for their stuff.

pcf

My options limited as well to DTV, Dish or Suddenlink. As soon as I'd switch to Dish they would be in dispute with some content provider. It was a dispite years ago with Viacom that made me switch to DTV, which I like. Dish was recently in dispute with someone like Fox or ESPN. The billionaires argue while the customer is screwed like Rod Gilmore by a gang of donkeys.

A group of donkeys is called a pace or herd, not a gang. :ph34r:

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Have DirecTV now, but will be shopping for better TV rates once I no longer have a need for The Mtn.

If you just got it, you are most likely locked in for two years from your start date. Would have to pay a buy out of your receiver fees X total months to get out of it.

FungoFrog

Tier 1
Word on this, as I am involved in some ways with players in the market.

- Don't think getting away from DTV is going to solve the problem... AT&T went through the same things last year when their contract was up, ended up dumping the channels for a short period, then they came back. Remember last year when DTV fought with NBC over Versus? We lost it for like 6 months.

- I am still debating a switch to uVerse, have had DTV for 5+ years and can't complain. But, the price of the base package has gone up steadily ($10) a year since I started, which is aggravating. What I like about uVerse is the internet speed, digital phone and the TV package is fine. I don't go for any of the sports packages with DTV so its only marginally better for me.

- I have it on good authority that LHN is going to be added to uVerse in the next 3-4 months, while DTV has essentially said no and won't be adding it anytime soon (LHN wants 40 cents per subscriber and Choice package placement). Now, why would I want LHN? TCU v. UT baseball. Every home game is on the network. I wouldn't mind it.

Summary: If you have DirecTV, stay with it. If you have uVerse, stay with it. If you have neither, switch to one of these. But, if you are thinking long term, uVerse is the better option. DTV has a tough business model when it comes to expansion. Everytime they want to add channels or expand, they have to build and launch a new satellite. That is mega millions of dollars. You will always have to pony up more money to get better service. But in Texas (as example), the state government contracts with ATT to create telecommunications networks, which they have done extensively, and then the money is paid back by users in extra taxes on your bill (like .50 cent tax). They strung new fiber optics in Austin two years ago, a $80 million job. ATT covered $5 million up front, $5 million to be paid out over 10 years, and users pay back the rest to the government. It is just a better system for the company, making them slightly more stable.