• The KillerFrogs

GP / DM -

Moose Stuff

If we are going to beat OU, Max is going to have to play like he is the best QB in the Big 12. I don’t care if our RBs average 10 yards a carry, the refs are gonna call a bunch of BS penalties & we will be in third and long a lot.

Max is going to have to make some great throws & he is also gonna have to rip off some long runs, too.

TCU is gonna have to score 60 points to win. To do that, we must make big plays in the passing game. OU is gonna load the box with 8 guys & blitz our ass off. Max will have to make them pay. If he can’t burn them, then we are toast.
If we have have to score 60 to win then we aren’t gonna win. D and O are both gonna have to play well but the D holding their offense below what we’ve come to expect is the only way we’re winning this game. We aren’t winning 60-56 but we might (MIGHT) win 38-35.

CountryFrog

People are acting like its rocket surgery. I'm not talking about changing our entire offensive scheme. I'm talking about 2-3 plays a game. Teams already incorporate the read option, this is just a different spin on it. I've seen some idiots run it back in the day. Pure dee idiots. I'm sure Max will abide. Now, about those single bar facemasks....
But if you're only talking about 2 plays per game then what's the point spending any time at all on it in practice? Just keep getting better and adding new wrinkles to the things you're already doing.

Limey Frog

I wonder how good Max would be at Oklahoma. Much better, I'm guessing. Maybe Riley hasn't gotten Rattler to live up to his full potential. That make one miss at QB in nearly ten years at OU. In that same ten years TCU have have had one non-miss at QB.

Maybe our passing game's problems are on Max. But there's a greater weight of evidence to suggest that we aren't set up to develop QBs in the passing game. I'll blame Gary and his staff first.

Froginbedford

If we are going to beat OU, Max is going to have to play like he is the best QB in the Big 12. I don’t care if our RBs average 10 yards a carry, the refs are gonna call a bunch of BS penalties & we will be in third and long a lot.

Max is going to have to make some great throws & he is also gonna have to rip off some long runs, too.

TCU is gonna have to score 60 points to win 6. To do that, we must make big plays in the passing game. OU is gonna load the box with 8 guys & blitz our ass off. Max will have to make them pay. If he can’t burn them, then we are toast.
Yes...58 wasn't enough back in 2014....And Big 12 refs have been bad in every year the Frogs have been in the conference....

CountryFrog

I wonder how good Max would be at Oklahoma. Much better, I'm guessing. Maybe Riley hasn't gotten Rattler to live up to his full potential. That make one miss at QB in nearly ten years at OU. In that same ten years TCU have have had one non-miss at QB.

Maybe our passing game's problems are on Max. But there's a greater weight of evidence to suggest that we aren't set up to develop QBs in the passing game. I'll blame Gary and his staff first.
Max is greatly improved from where he was as a freshman. So if you're trying to say that you don't think he's been developed at all then I'd say you're very wrong. Or if you're trying to say that even with the improvement he's still not good enough then I'd say the development (or lack thereof) with many of the players on defense is a far bigger problem this year than at the QB position.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Max is greatly improved from where he was as a freshman. So if you're trying to say that you don't think he's been developed at all then I'd say you're very wrong. Or if you're trying to say that even with the improvement he's still not good enough then I'd say the development (or lack thereof) with many of the players on defense is a far bigger problem this year than at the QB position.
Since this Season is pretty much shot whatever happens from here on out, I can at least look forward to Max attending the Manning Passing Academy over the Summer, and getting some quality guidance.

Limey Frog

Definitely the latter. I still think he's got the stuff, talent-wise, and I think his progress confirms that. Just in general almost all college QBs get better with experience, even if the coaching they receive isn't the best. But as a program, we don't get the best out of our QBs. If I had enough talent to be a top 5 dual-threat QB like he was coming out of high school, I'd go to Oklahoma and play for Riley. I'd go to a lot of places before Fort Worth.

(And you're right on defense. That's the most damning count against Gary over the past three years. Certain things his program has never really done consistently--like develop QBs to their fullest potential; now he's lost the ability to do the thing we've always relied on to cover for what we don't do well.)

CountryFrog

Definitely the latter. I still think he's got the stuff, talent-wise, and I think his progress confirms that. Just in general almost all college QBs get better with experience, even if the coaching they receive isn't the best. But as a program, we don't get the best out of our QBs. If I had enough talent to be a top 5 dual-threat QB like he was coming out of high school, I'd go to Oklahoma and play for Riley. I'd go to a lot of places before Fort Worth.

(And you're right on defense. That's the most damning count against Gary over the past three years. Certain things his program has never really done consistently--like develop QBs to their fullest potential; now he's lost the ability to do the thing we've always relied on to cover for what we don't do well.)
I think that's fair. It's up to the staff to change the narrative on the QB development stuff because it's been a lot more bad than good over the last 10 years. Max is going in the right direction and still has lots of time so we'll see what he's able to do in these last 7 or 8 games.

Wexahu

Spencer Rattler was the #1 pro-style recruit in the country, and in his 3rd year with the program looks pretty lost.

It might be more a case where LR was gifted some very talented QBs as opposed to him really developing them. That said, TCU's development at the position has been lacking for sure.

GenXFrog

I think that's fair. It's up to the staff to change the narrative on the QB development stuff because it's been a lot more bad than good over the last 10 years. Max is going in the right direction and still has lots of time so we'll see what he's able to do in these last 7 or 8 games.

Max is going the right direction. No doubt he's a competitor and plays hard. Far more than his development, is concern for the perceived drop-off in the rest of the QB room.

jake102

Spencer Rattler was the #1 pro-style recruit in the country, and in his 3rd year with the program looks pretty lost.

It might be more a case where LR was gifted some very talented QBs as opposed to him really developing them. That said, TCU's development at the position has been lacking for sure.

To be fair to LR, Mayfield and Murray took huge steps forward as compared to what they did at Tech and Aggie. Especially Murray.

Limey Frog

He's definitely ridden the transfer train; I'm not denying that. But you still have to coach transfers. Kliff V-neck didn't get Baker Mayfield to do the things Riley did with him. Obviously he was older, had better talent around him, etc. But that's kind of the point. As a system, who's program gets the most out of QBs. Oklahoma's mystique may be overstated, but it's hard to argue that ours is understated.

Froggish

Two things can be simultaneously true

1. Max is playing the best football of his career.
2. That's true even if you don't believe he's playing at championship level.

Regardless he's now at near 65% completion rate on the year and closing in on 67% over the last 3 games..