• The KillerFrogs

Good Luck Froggies

pony in NC

Looking forward to watching a good game on saturday. My idiot friend is getting married that evening, and my groomsman duties will unfortunately not allow me to fly down to see it. But I should be good and drunk by 3:30 to watch it on tv. My first Iron Skillet game was in 1997, when your lowly, winless frogs destroyed my ponies and our hopes for a bowl game. Throughout both undergrad and law school at SMU, I never missed a game.

A little bit of info on our season so far that you may already know-

QB - Padron was taken out of the A&M game after throwing 2 picks on his first four attempts, and was replaced by Senior JJ McDermott (JJMcD). He is a transfer from NMSt., recommended to June Jones by Hal Mumme. JJMcD doesn't have the arm strength or mobility of Padron, but he makes better decisions in the pocket and seems to have a calmer demeanor. If you ask most fans, they prefer Padron. The TCU game is a big test and it should be interesting to see how this shakes out as JJMcD hasn't really played against a top rated defense. Wins against Memphis, UTEP and NW ST. aren't really a measuring stick. I think a few HS teams could give Memphis a tough game. Might see Padron come in early if JJMcD struggles.

RB - Two words that inspire fear in any defense...Zach Line. Kid is an absolute beast at 6'2", 240. Good enough speed, shifty feet and brings the wood. If you can stretch him out, you have a better chance at stopping him. When he gets vertical, he's a load. June Jones only has a few running plays - a simple draw (which you will see most of the time) and a pistol formation. But it works. Line is also a great pass blocker, which Jones usually prefers over smaller, quicker rbs. Line has a seperated shoulder, but still has 11 tds so far and will be wearing kevlar to protect himself. Backups are untested.

WRs- Our top WR, Cole Beasley, will be out for this game with a sprained MCL. He is JJMcD's safety blanket, so the loss is big. Darius Johnson plays slot and has great hands. Terrance Wilkerson is a senior who's back this year after academic issues. Provides leadership but already has 2 lost fumbles and more than his share of drops. Younger guys will have to step up for this game, namely Der'rick Thompson and Jeremy Johnson. We haven't hit on the big pass plays yet this year, so expect lots of check downs and bubble screens.

O-Line - 5 returning starters have most starts as a group in the country. If we were ever going to be able to handle a GP defense, this would seem to be the year. Kelvin Beachum had an injury during the Memphis game, but should be good to go for TCU.

Defense - Sitting at #10 in the country right now, but our last 3 games were against horrible offenses. We've had trouble generating turnovers, but expect a heavy dose of blitzes with LB's JaGared Davis and Taylor Reed. Our front 3 will rotate Taylor Thompson (he will play on sundays), Torlan Pittman, Marquis Frazier and Margus Hunt. Secondary really misses Sterling Moore (NFL), but Richard Crawford has stepped up as the top corner. Safety Banjo is good runstuffer but can get beat deep on long pass.

ST - If you saw our attempted onside kick against A&M, you know everything you need to know about our special teams. Hunt is always a factor on FGs or extra points, so expect a possible blocked kick. But our kicker is untested, and our kickoff/punt coverage is atrocious as you remember from last year when Kerley killed our comeback hopes. SMU can't afford any ST miscues against TCU.

Hoping for a good game with no injuries...wish I could be there. Congrats on the new stadium. I know realignment talk is controlling the message boards these days, but it is nice to be able to talk about a meaningful game. Did have one Q for you guys -- If Big East loses any combination of Louisville, Cincy, WVU, Rutgers, any chance Big East takes a look at raiding CUSA and taking UCF, ECU, UH and SMU? Seems to be a better fit than just adding the academies. I think BYU, Boise, Louisville get added to Big 12, but that's just speculation.

Pony Up

NubomTurk

Tier 1
Did have one Q for you guys -- If Big East loses any combination of Louisville, Cincy, WVU, Rutgers, any chance Big East takes a look at raiding CUSA and taking UCF, ECU, UH and SMU? Seems to be a better fit than just adding the academies. I think BYU, Boise, Louisville get added to Big 12, but that's just speculation.

Just my (uninformed) opinion, but the academies bring a nationwide fan base, thus good media footprint, which seems to be the holy grail of conference membership these days, much more so than old-fashioned concepts like on-field performance.

That said, I've been saying for a long time that SMU is a program on the rise. Maybe a little behind TCU in football performance (we'll know more about that Saturday) but definitely a respectable program with a great coach and getting better. Unfortunately, SMU has the same big negative as TCU, i.e. small student body, thus small alumni base, thus less ability to put eyeballs in front of the screen to watch Serta mattress commercials. Because that's what really matters...

I said after last year's game that I wished the MWC would go after SMU. It would make the already good rivalry even better. So, yeah, Newbomb votes for SMU after the Big East adds as many service academies as possible.

GO FROGS

And I hate your band.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Good analysis.

Frog STs are nationally rated Number Three. Kick returns of 94,88,73,66 (and I've forgotten another good one or two somewhere in there) by three different returners...coupla TDs.

The prospect of another momentum changing Frog return gives me the most cheer, as I'm sure we will trail early. TCU's deferring to the 2nd half, and Their persistent slow starting, even on 'D', contrasts sharply with Ponies' fast start out of the chute.

On Defense: Hurts big time for the TCU defense to Lose the number one tackler on the team, Tanner Brock (you remember -- the guy with the helmet-less block on the return, I'm sure). When our 'D' needs every break, just to return to respectability, this is one of the two guys you don't want to lose for the season. Four of five new secondary starters, with few sacks to relive the pressure on them has been a deadly combination.

On Offense: Pachall is doing ever so well as Dalton's successor, thank you very much. His effectiveness and that of the newly patched together 'O' line have been pleasant developments this year. RBs are better than good, and go four deep, thank God. I'll put it this way, Zack Line would have a place in the rotation, but it isn't a lock that he'd start for the Frogs. WRs are mostly young but are showing quick strike capability. Boyce is the go-to guy, and Dawson is the speed merchant. Scoring quickly has not been a Frog forte...until now. The converse of this nice new development is that we don't eat up as much clock as we have been accustomed to doing in years past.

The Frogs of the Patterson era were used to winning with smash-mouth defense, team speed, and a heavy dose of the tailback from multiple formations. The QB was not the star, but a game manager.Now we are seeing a QB with star quality, much more use of the deep ball and (unfortunately with our young 'D') the need to win some offensive shootouts. For most Frog fans, this will take some getting used to.

pony in NC

Hey Pony, what year did you graduate from law school?

Graduated in 2003. Contrary to my message board alias, I live and practice in DC... although I'm still licensed in NC and have a family beach house down there which I try to get to at least once a month.

toadallytexan,

The ST aspect worries me the most. If you look closely, you'll see that we have offensive and defensive starters covering kicks (including Zach Line and Taylor Thompson) beacuse we just don't have the talent. It is scary...always an adventure. Beasley was our top return man as well, and had the surest hands. Crawford (DB) will take over those duties now, and he isn't as proven. Think this game will be decided by which ST makes the most plays and provides either points or favorable field position. The line dropped to 11 but moved back up after Beasley's status was known. And while I never wish injuries on my worst enemies (toads included), I have to say it is better to see Brock on the sideline for this one.

...and I could care less about band smack talk. Go rub one out to "Drum Line" so the rest of us can talk about football.

Double D

Tier 1
If the FROGS can't stop Zach, it might get ugly. SMU has a good running game. However, SMU has little depth. That was apparent at A$M. If JJ leaves his QBs alone and doesn't play Jedi mind tricks on them, they should be fine. If JJ's ego is out of control, it will be a long night for Peruna.

Pony ↑
GO FROGS!

West Coast Johnny

Did have one Q for you guys -- If Big East loses any combination of Louisville, Cincy, WVU, Rutgers, any chance Big East takes a look at raiding CUSA and taking UCF, ECU, UH and SMU? Seems to be a better fit than just adding the academies. I think BYU, Boise, Louisville get added to Big 12, but that's just speculation.

Pony Up

IMO, I want the Big East to add some Texas schools. I may be in a minority on this one on this board, but college football needs local rivalries. I would prefer the teams that you list rather than the ones that are talked about by the Yankee inteligentsia - Navy, Airforce, Villanova, Temple - barf.

pony in NC

If the FROGS can't stop Zach, it might get ugly. SMU has a good running game. However, SMU has little depth. That was apparent at A$M. If JJ leaves his QBs alone and doesn't play Jedi mind tricks on them, they should be fine. If JJ's ego is out of control, it will be a long night for Peruna.

Pony ↑
GO FROGS!

Agree completely. If Padron is in early, that spells trouble for SMU. Can't come out and wet the bed early like we did at A&M...hope for a game that is competitive in the 4th quarter.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Graduated in 2003. Contrary to my message board alias, I live and practice in DC... although I'm still licensed in NC and have a family beach house down there which I try to get to at least once a month.

toadallytexan,

The ST aspect worries me the most. If you look closely, you'll see that we have offensive and defensive starters covering kicks (including Zach Line and Taylor Thompson) beacuse we just don't have the talent. It is scary...always an adventure. Beasley was our top return man as well, and had the surest hands. Crawford (DB) will take over those duties now, and he isn't as proven. Think this game will be decided by which ST makes the most plays and provides either points or favorable field position. The line dropped to 11 but moved back up after Beasley's status was known. And while I never wish injuries on my worst enemies (toads included), I have to say it is better to see Brock on the sideline for this one.

...and I could care less about band smack talk. Go rub one out to "Drum Line" so the rest of us can talk about football.

Re: bold sentence, did you have me confused with another poster, different thread, another galaxy long long ago and far away?

Screaming Flea

Pony ↑
GO FROGS!

Accurate assessment.
This will be TCU's best game of the year and I think Jones plays Padron quickly.

Smu's offensive line is more than effective.

A battle royal shaping up as it always is.

Gary in a smart move gave Smu something else to think about when he was determined to get Skye involved this past wknd with his jets blowing. Insert Skye, Boyce and Carter into the game with Casey's arm. Nightmares in coverage for smu.

Our def ends have to get past SMU's tackles.

NubomTurk

Tier 1

NC, did you read my entire post? It was a joke, man, lighten up.

Welcome to the board, by the way. Always good to hear from the upcoming opposition.