• The KillerFrogs

Going to Utah.....

Got our tickets for the Utah game and i am looking to get our hotel room. I was wondering if you are all staying at a specific hotel and if there are some plans or tailgaiting...
Go Frogs!!!

fanatical frog

Got our tickets for the Utah game and i am looking to get our hotel room. I was wondering if you are all staying at a specific hotel and if there are some plans or tailgaiting...
Go Frogs!!!

If you can't get into the team hotel there is a Marriott property within walking distance of the stadium that was formerly an Embassy Suites.....we stayed there in 2006 and it's very nice.

cpmencio

Visitor's Section of RES is traditionally w6, w7, and part of w9.

As for a hotel..

There is the Marriot University Park- Pros: Basically on Campus Cons: No resturants/nightlife around
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/slcup-salt-lake-city-marriott-university-park/

If you wanted to stay in SLC, I'd tell you to check out some of the downtown hotels. Most of these hotels will have easy access to resturants, etc and such as well as Trax if you don't wish to drive to the stadium. If you are planning on driving to the stadium, plan to get there early as parking is a nightmare (there's alot of construction on campus at the moment, god only knows what they'll have torn up by Nov. and if both teams stay undefeated this will be a big game)

Park City is also a nice place to stay. More Tourist-y than SLC itself and has some great scenery. It is a bit of a drive from campus (30-40 mins) but a very nice place.

jprovolt

Pretty much any of the hotels downtown will be within walking distance of the Trax system which will drop you off within 100 yards of the stadium on the west side. I'd highly recommend getting up there plenty early and walk up to the south east tailgating lot. You'll have to walk through a major parking lot to get to the stadium or the SE tailgating lot from the trax drop off but don't be confused that this is the main tailgating spot. It's full of our more "experienced" fan population and is a more tame tailgating experience. If you go up to the SE lot (across 500 south) you'll see a much more vibrant tailgating that would remind you more of your experiences at TCU. It's probably a 10 minute walk from the trax drop off. Expect to be treated very well. Lots of respect for the TCU program and their fans from Ute fans. If you wear BYU gear you're on your own. :)

GL this week against AFA. Hoping to see two top 10 teams in a few weeks with Gameday on site. Should be a great game.

JP

PHX Frog

Yea I think the light rail is only 1 block away from hotel and drops off at stadium.

They have a great deal...29 rooms for $69.

I'm not even planning on renting a car. Figure we'll cab it from the airport and then take rail to the game.

Yeah, rooms are really cheap. Doesn't look like the greatest Hilton in the world, but I don't really care because we won't be hanging out in the room except to sleep.

MoCityFrog

If you can't get into the team hotel there is a Marriott property within walking distance of the stadium that was formerly an Embassy Suites.....we stayed there in 2006 and it's very nice.
Agree, very nice. We stayed there in 2008.
Just an FYI it's the Utah team hotel. TCU has always stayed downtown.

The hotel is within walking (stretch) distance but it is further up into the foothills from the stadium so it's an uphill climb back.

61_Shasta

Hi guys and here's hoping that you enjoy everything about your trip to SLC other than the final score. Here is my $0.02 as far as where to stay and what to do while you're here.

There are several economy lodgings in the downtown area as well as in the suburb of Sandy. Any of them are fine as long as you don't expect them to be more than they are. My recommendations for something nicer would be the Hilton Garden or either of the Marriott downtown properties. They're nice but not excessively priced. If you're looking a step up from there I'd definitely go with the Hotel Monaco a great boutique hotel. If you want to go balls out Grand America is for you. 5-star luxury for the creme de la creme during the Olympics. Or if you have a car and a love for nothing but the finest take the half hour drive to Stein Erickson Lodge at Deer Valley. Don't be surprised if you see Tom Hanks, Kate Jackson or any of several celebrities up there. They all have houses at Stein's. Five stars accommodations with a five star price.

As far as food goes there are several really good restaurants in downtown. My favorite is Bambara in the ground level of the Hotel Monaco. Even if you don't stay there check it out. Any of the Gastronomy places are good as well, Market Street or the Oyster Bar. There are also a good number of smaller places and about any kind of ethnicity you're looking for. If you like Tex-Mex the Rio Grande Cafe in the old Rio Grande train station is good although it's always dangerous recommending Mexican to Texans as everyone has their version of what "Mexican" should be. Rio Grande is on about 4th West and 3rd South and isn't near any of the major hotels so wear comfortable shoes.

For those of you who were here before you'll be glad to know that the asinine "private club" law has been repealed. Sadly one of the best clubs in downtown, Port O'Call is gone, the victim of a federal courthouse expansion that razed the entire 1/2 block but also hasn't been funded yet. Your government at work. Luckily some of the best from POC have opened up places like Gracie's and the Green Pig that are easily walkable. If you're looking for a friendly but totally Ute Crimson bar Lumpy's Downtown is great and you'll probably be bought more drinks than you'll buy. If you like dueling pianos try Keys on Main or if you want to walk a few blocks the original, The Tavernacle (a play on the LDS tabernacle on Temple Square. Circle, W and the Red Door are specialty martini, and /or cigar bars or the high end cocktail type places if that's your thing. One other thing that has changed is that you can no longer smoke in any bar or restaurant in Utah anymore.

Most of the central part of downtown is under construction for the new City Creek Center so some walking is a little inconvenient but don't let that deter you. Also the light rail gives you free fare in most of downtown so take advantage of it to get around. To the west of downtown there is a development called the Gateway or as many locals call it the "Beigeway". Skybox is a pretty good bar in Gateway but the restaurants are pretty chain/franchise and there's definitely better. If you like the little ethnic hole-in-the-wall take Trax toward the Salt Lake Central Station and get off at the Old Greek Town stop. Atmosphere no, really big flavors? Yes.

As far as getting to the game goes the suggestion for Trax is the only way to go. You'll want the University line. You can catch any train either the Sandy line or the University line going from Central Station into downtown but if you're on a Sandy line you'll need to transfer at Gallivan Center Station. Parking at the U is a royal pain on Saturday unless you have a parking pass. Trust me on this don't put yourself through it plus you'll find that Trax is faster than trying to drive. If you get off at the Stadium stop that drops you directly west of Rice-Eccles Stadium. If you want to walk through a bit of campus stay on the train to the South Campus stop or if you're there early enough go to the Ft. Douglas stop. Ft. Douglas is a Civil War era fort that is now a few administrative offices, a pretty cool but underfunded military museum and campus housing. The campus housing was also the athletes' village for the Olympics.

If you want to venture out of Salt Lake City you can head east up Parley's Canyon (I-80) to Park City home of the Sundance Film Festival. The town will be busy but not packed as it's extremely unusual to have enough snow to have the resorts open in early November. Chez Betty is great but higher end. Jupiter Bowl is an entertainment center with bowling, arcade games, pool, a Wii center and really good bar food and a fun bar. You'll need a car to get there as there's no transit between SLC & PC. If you head north you can check out 25th street in Ogden, about 40 minutes north. Two-bit street was the original home of hotels, bars and brothels back in the railroad era. You can get to it by car or the FrontRunner commuter rail. Also if you have a car and want to take a little more of a trip there is pretty much nothing trippier than the Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville about an hour north of town. The Shooting Star is the oldest continually operating bar in Utah. They serve drinks as long as you consider beer "drinks". They don't serve anything but. They have great food as long as you want the Star Burger. Two beef patties, a split polish sausage, lettuce, sauce and a bun. That's the food. A side dish too. Lays Potato Chips. Or if you want fries the bartender and cook will be happy to tell you that the place "is a bar not a damn restaurant". The food is a burger and the side dish is chips. Period. It's tiny and unrefined and worth every minute of the drive. Once you've had a Star Burger I can guarantee that somewhere along the line you'll come back for another one.

Hope this helps and please feel free to boardmail any questions you have. Welcome in advance to Salt Lake City and best of luck for a good game and a Utah victory!