• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Falters at Kansas

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/3/31/womens-tennis-horned-frogs-falter-at-kansas.aspx?path=wten

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Falters at Kansas

LAWRENCE, Kan. – The TCU women's tennis team ended its weekend-long road trip on Sunday by falling to No. 17 Kansas, 6-1, at the Jayhawk Tennis Center in Lawrence, Kan.

The doubles point was tightly contested between the Horned Frogs (12-6, 4-2 Big 12) and the Jayhawks (13-4, 4-2 Big 12) as the difference proved to be a late break on one court. Kansas got the win on court three, but TCU battled for every point on the final two courts. With the top court in a tiebreak, the court two duo of Chloe Hule and Stevie Kennedy suffered a late break which proved to be the difference as the Jayhawks captured the win and the early 1-0 lead.

Kansas took the momentum into singles as they quickly picked up wins on three of the courts in straight sets to get the overall match victory. TCU continued to fight for points and forced third sets on the final three courts in action. Hule was the lone member of the squad to get a victory on Sunday as the junior defeated Maria Toran Ribes on court five, 7-5, 4-6, 10-7.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach Lee Taylor Walker
"We are right there. We had match points at No. 2 doubles and up 4-2 at No. 1 doubles in the tiebreaker. That was a big point and probably determined the outcome, but even still we had a good chance in singles and I'm proud of where we are heading. As I said Friday, everyone at this time of year is where they are with their fitness and tennis shots, but the biggest thing we can improve and must improve is our situational awareness and execution in certain moments. We have gotten so much better at this and if we can adjust a few things, we can compete for the Big 12 title. Our young team is starting to believe a little more now and it's going to be fun I think down the stretch. Chloe (Hule) really came on strong this weekend and I feel like she's in a great spot. I am very proud of her for beating an ITA Regional champion today."

Match Results
TCU vs Kansas Jayhawks
3/31/2019 at Lawrence, Kan.
(Jayhawk Tennis Center)
#17 Kansas Jayhawks 6, TCU 1

Singles competition
1. #23 Anastasia Rychagova (KU) def. #112 Ellie Douglas (TCU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #101 Janet Koch (KU) def. Aleksa Cveticanin (TCU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Plobrung Plipuech (KU) def. Mercedes Aristegui (TCU) 1-6, 6-2, 10-6
4. Nina Khmelnitckaia (KU) def. Kate Paulus (TCU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
5. Chloe Hule (TCU) def. Maria Toran Ribes (KU) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
6. Malkia Ngounoue (KU) def. Addy Guevara (TCU) 6-0, 6-2

Doubles competition
1. #5 Janet Koch/Nina Khmelnitckaia (KU) vs. #27 Ellie Douglas/Aleksa Cveticanin (TCU) 6-6 (2-3), unfinished
2. #61 Anastasia Rychagova/Sonia Smagina (KU) def. Chloe Hule/Stevie Kennedy (TCU) 7-5
3. Maria Toran Ribes/Malkia Ngounoue (KU) def. Mercedes Aristegui/Kate Paulus (TCU) 6-0

Match Notes:
TCU 12-6, 4-2 Big 12
Kansas Jayhawks 13-4, 4-2 Big 12; National ranking #17
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,1,3,4,5)
T-2:48 A-297

Up Next
TCU will continue action on the road as the team heads to Austin, Texas to take on Texas on Friday, April 5 at 5 p.m.