• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: W. Tennis Bows Out of Big 12s

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/042817aaa.html

GoFrogs: W. Tennis Bows Out of Big 12s

Final Stats | Photo Gallery
media-icon-photogallery.gif

NORMAN, Okla – Despite holding a 3-1 lead in the match, the No. 24 TCU women’s tennis team could not hold on as No. 25 Texas came back to win the final three singles matches and steal the 4-3 victory on Friday afternoon in the 2017 Big 12 Championship quarterfinal at the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Okla.

The beginning of the match was all Horned Frogs (13-9) as TCU scored the doubles point with wins on court two and three against the Longhorns (13-7). Alexis Pereira and Sofiko Kadzhaya struck first as they got the victory at the bottom of the lineup with a 6-3 win for the pair’s third victory this spring. Caroline Wegner and Donika Bashota clinched the point for the Frogs as they took down the pair on court two, 6-4.

Texas came back to battle in singles action as the teams split the first sets on the six courts. Wegner got her fourth straight win this season and put TCU up 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Dani Wagland on court six. The Longhorns got the win on court four, before Kadzhaya upset No. 82 Neda Koprcina, 6-4, 6-4, at the No. 2 position to give the Frogs the 3-1 lead. That would be the final point for TCU as Texas grabbed the win on the final three courts to secure the win and move into the next round of the championship.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach Lee Taylor Walker
"I thought Texas competed really well. I was only on one side in singles action on courts one, three and five and I thought their three and five played really well. They didn’t really panic much. There was a moment where I thought we could have really run away with it and win kind of easy, but give them credit because they weathered the storm there for awhile and made a good comeback.

“For us, I would say it is a pretty disappointing loss. This was honestly not a match we think we should lose. We didn’t have our full roster when we played them earlier this year and we just thought we were a significantly better team. It looked like for the first two hours that was the case. It is disappointing on our end. Olaya (Garrido-Rivas) came back and this is her third match back in singles in about five weeks and I don’t think she was at her best and that is kind of expected.

“Overall, there are teams that lose this match and then are done for the season, but we are not one of those. We have NCAAs and we will find out Tuesday where we will go. We will learn from this match and hopefully make a run to the final site. That is the most disappointing thing about today is that our team really came here with the mindset that we could sneak into hosting if we won the tournament. We beat Texas Tech two weeks ago and we weren’t looking past Texas but we were very confident we could win the tournament. We will move forward, get better and set our next goal.”

Match Results
TCU vs Texas
Apr 28, 2017 at Norman, Okla.
(Headington Family Tennis Center)
#24 Texas 4, #25 TCU 3

Singles competition
1. #42 Bianca Turati (UT) def. #57 Seda Arantekin (TCU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Sofiko Kadzhaya (TCU) def. #82 Neda Koprcina (UT) 6-4, 6-4
3. #80 Petra Granic (UT) def. Aleksandra Zenovka (TCU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
4. Anna Turati (UT) def. Olaya Garrido-Rivas (TCU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Daniella Roldan (UT) def. Donika Bashota (TCU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
6. Caroline Wegner (TCU) def. Dani Wagland (UT) 6-4, 6-2

Doubles competition
1. #33 Neda Koprcina/Anna Turati (UT) vs. Seda Arantekin/Olaya Garrido-Rivas (TCU) 3-5, unfinished
2. Caroline Wegner/Donika Bashota (TCU) def. Petra Granic/Daniella Roldan (UT) 6-4
3. Alexis Pereira/Sofiko Kadzhaya (TCU) def. Bianca Turati/Dani Wagland (UT) 6-3

Match Notes:
TCU 13-9; National ranking #25
Texas 13-7; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,2,3,5,1)
Big 12 Women's Championships – Quarterfinals

Up Next
TCU will now await their selection into the NCAA Championship, which will be announced on Tuesday, May 2 at 4 p.m.

Latest posts