• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU to Play at Dickies Arena in 2019

Wexahu

When was the last time we've had a high profile non conference game at home?

Not many through the years but if the program has turned the corner like I think it has, there will be a lot more in the future.

I just hate that we have this great little arena and then we play games off campus. I hate it in football, I hate it in basketball.

CountryFrog

Not many through the years but if the program has turned the corner like I think it has, there will be a lot more in the future.

I just hate that we have this great little arena and then we play games off campus. I hate it in football, I hate it in basketball.
Ok but as I said earlier we are playing USC in LA this year at an off campus location so it seems like a fair arrangement to play them at this off campus arena when they come to Fort Worth. This was never a home and home.

As far as playing big time non conference games in the future I'm not as sure as you seem to be that will happen very much. Big time college basketball programs play almost no true road games in non conference. Plus with the Big 12 now adding an annual matchup with the Big East to go along with our SEC matchup then I'm not sure how eager TCU will be to add an elite opponent in addition to those games anyway.

It's easy to get on the train of "I hate these off site games" and that's certainly a fair opinion. But I don't see this being a situation like the LSU or Ohio St football games where we actually LOST a home game in those arrangements.

The TCU Football Jerk

Well at least we’ll know who the true fans are because they will be at the game. The arena is less than ten minutes from campus and, hopefully, will be used to get good non-conference games from time to time.

Sorry, but the 'true fan' argument doesn't hold water. Ask the donors for the new tcu stadium and/or arena if they like seeing games played away from our venues. Why not just play musical venues and play our sporting events at a different venue every game?? True fans would show up......right?

We're playing USC this year in LA at the Staples Center which is off campus.

They're coming back next year to play us in Fort Worth at this new arena which is off campus.

You don't have to be doing cartwheels out of excitement but at the very least you should be able to look at this and understand that it's a pretty fair arrangement.

Is USC even good at basketball?
I just don't understand why we wouldn't play at home.

CountryFrog

Is USC even good at basketball?
I just don't understand why we wouldn't play at home.
USC was a decent team last year but I have no idea how good they're expected to be this year.

I don't know all of the details behind it personally but the end result is that both teams are playing the "home" portion of this 2 game series at a nearby off campus venue. So you may not like it but it's a pretty fair arrangement and doesn't seem worthy of getting upset about.

insolventfrog

USC was a decent team last year but I have no idea how good they're expected to be this year.

I don't know all of the details behind it personally but the end result is that both teams are playing the "home" portion of this 2 game series at a nearby off campus venue. So you may not like it but it's a pretty fair arrangement and doesn't seem worthy of getting upset about.

Enfield has done a nice job at USC. Think they were solid tourney teams in '16 and '17 (I vaguely recall rooting for them against Baylor in the Round of 32 and coming away disappointed). and were one of the "last teams out" last year after placing 2nd in the Pac-Whatever. Despite Bill Walton's claims, it wasn't exactly a daunting league in '17-18. Still, even with Oregon and UCLA down compared to '16-'17, second in that league is very respectable.

As for 2019 ... Don't look now, but USC is probably going to carry a pretty high ranking into Fort Worth. A matchup of top-15 teams seems entirely within the realm of possibility. They're currently ranked #1 in the 2019 recruiting rankings at 247 sports. Obviously, recruiting isn't over with, but most of the big names have committed. USC has commitments from 2 5-stars and 3 4-stars, and their average of 97.04 doesn't appear too bad. (We're #13 with a 96.45 average.) The 5-stars are ranked as recruits #16 and #17, a 6-9 and 6-8 duo. By comparison Tyrese Maxey comes in at #9. Obviously, he's a bit shorter … and going to Kentucky.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/

Last edited:

Wexahu

I don’t think anyone is saying it isn’t “fair”. It’s just dumb. The Staples Center will probably be half full (if that) when we play them and we just spent a bunch of money making huge improvements to our arena. I’m sure the almighty dollar is the main consideration as it usually is but it’s still unfortunate college games aren’t played in college arenas. And I don’t mean to make a big deal out of this because I know it’s not that big a deal. It’s just a stupid trend that has infiltrated college football and basketball.

insolventfrog

I don’t think anyone is saying it isn’t “fair”. It’s just dumb. The Staples Center will probably be half full (if that) when we play them and we just spent a bunch of money making huge improvements to our arena. I’m sure the almighty dollar is the main consideration as it usually is but it’s still unfortunate college games aren’t played in college arenas. And I don’t mean to make a big deal out of this because I know it’s not that big a deal. It’s just a stupid trend that has infiltrated college football and basketball.
I don't particularly recall a great crowd at last year's game against Nevada at the Staples Center (admittedly, I'd just spent two and a half hours trying to get the heck out of San Antonio after a high school football playoff game -- great road construction planning, TXDOT! -- so I'm not sure how much I remember about that night is accurate), but I'd like to propose a consideration beyond money. How 'bout the players?

While money is certainly everything, it's not the only thing. (Where's Yogi when you need him?) And I think that's Coach Dixon's point another poster referenced earlier (or in the other thread?). I wonder if any of our players would have minded playing a game at Staples Center in front of a couple of hundred people?

In any case, I very much doubt the highly regarded recruits Dixon brought in this year -- the guys who are going to give us a few years' worth of awesome games on campus -- would call it dumb. If playing a relatively large opponent or two at Dickies Arena every year nets us games in noteworthy places like Staples Center or a random neutral site game against a noteworthy nonconference opponent, it can only make life easier on the recruiting trail for our coaching staff. That (continued recruiting momentum) is what is going to allow them to continue to build -- and sustain -- a program that has seen a meteoric rise and give us meaningful, marquee conference games on campus for years to come.

Maybe my view is skewed and I'm not seeing the big picture -- I think the last meaningful TCU game I attended prior to KU this past season was Cincinnati back in '04-'05, and there is literally zero comparison between those two experiences -- but, if our program sustains its success, I'd be pretty satisfied with nine conference home games in the toughest basketball league around.

Granted, I probably won't be able to afford tickets for those games for much longer. After all, money is everything.

Chico Dusty

It’s one game!! We have 17 home games this year! That’s a good lot to get your fill at Scholl. This is one game the following year in TCU’s own city’s new arena - that looks awesome btw. Fort Worth will be on display and TCU hoops will be on display. And it may rope in some new fans in the community.

TCUdirtbag

It’s one game!! We have 17 home games this year! That’s a good lot to get your fill at Scholl. This is one game the following year in TCU’s own city’s new arena - that looks awesome btw. Fort Worth will be on display and TCU hoops will be on display. And it may rope in some new fans in the community.

This. Our fans can stfu and get on board helping the city open a cool new arena. It’s one freaking game. Go see the city’s new digs a month before the rodeo and get some queso and beer at taco heads and get tf over it.

Reading big 12 media day and preseason coverage, I saw Texas Tech is playing a game in the Lubbock municipal arena this year that isn’t part of their season ticket package. It feels like literally everyone has neutral site games near their home stadium—Tech, TCU, Kansas, etc.

FrogAbroad

Lots of recent verbiage on the forum about how Fort Worth should do a better job of supporting TCU, which IMHO would certainly be a positive change.

But support goes two ways. Kinda like being married.

Sorry, but the 'true fan' argument doesn't hold water. Ask the donors for the new tcu stadium and/or arena if they like seeing games played away from our venues. Why not just play musical venues and play our sporting events at a different venue every game?? True fans would show up......right?

I think your name is apt. Honestly, if anyone thinks playing one game a year at Dickies is going to hurt true fans you are sadly mistaken. Rose Bowl just might be right about who the real fans are.