• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Secures Pair of Singles Wins on Day 1 of Michigan Invite

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/1/17/...singles-wins-on-day-1-of-michigan-invite.aspx

GoFrogs: TCU Secures Pair of Singles Wins on Day 1 of Michigan Invite

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- TCU women's tennis started the 2020 season with a pair of singles wins on Friday morning in the first day of the Michigan Invite at Ann Arbour, Mich. The Horned Frogs battled No. 22 Tennessee in singles play before taking on No. 14 Michigan in doubles.

Singles play got off to a strong start as TCU forced No. 22 Tennessee into four three-set matches.

Senior Marie Norris, playing in her first spring action since 2018, had a tremendous showing. After jumping in front, 4-1 to open the match, she held serve to claim a 6-3 set victory. She faced adversity in the second set as Creath (Tennessee) battled back to tie the match, forcing a deciding super set in the third. Norris fell behind, 5-7 but dug in to win five of the next six points and secure her first singles victory in official ITA play since returning from an injury that kept her off the courts last spring: 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (7).

"It felt great to be back out there competing again after being out for so long," Norris said. "I just stayed tough in the third set tiebreak and fought through the nerves of playing in my first match. It was nice to get the win as a result."

One court over, sophomore Kate Paulus was locked in a heated match. Both players held serve for most of the match but McGiffin (Tennessee) scored a late break to win the opening set, 4-6. Steadfast in her game plan, Paulus stayed the course in the second set, earning a break early and holding on to win the set via tiebreaker later on, 7-6. In the third, the stalemate continued, both players served well but McGiffin held the lead, 6-7. With the match on the line, Paulus delivered, winning the next four points and earning her first victory of the spring: 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (7).

"I was feeling really well today," Paulus said. "I was really happy to be back on the court. I love my serve, it's the shot I typically have the most confidence in and today it helped me get through the match and end up with a win!"

Junior Stevie Kennedy was dominant in her opening set, earning her first bagel of the spring season. The match shifted in the second set however, resulting in a tight, three-set loss.

Senior Chloe Hule looked good out of the gates as she took control of her opening set, winning four of the last five games to win, 6-3, but her comeback in the second set fell short and she would drop the super set in the third, 10-5.

Singles Results

No. 76 Rebeka Mertena (Tenn) d. No. 81 Mercedes Aristegui (TCU): 6-2, 6-2
Carly Briggs (Tenn) d. Chloe Hule (TCU): 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (5)
Hadley Doyle (Tenn) d. Margaret Polk (TCU): 6-1, 6-2
Johanna Silva (Tenn) d. Stevie Kennedy (TCU): 0-6, 6-1, 1-0 (6)
Kate Paulus (TCU) d. Tenika McGiffin (Tenn): 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (7)
Marie Norris (TCU) d. Callie Creath (Tenn): 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (8)

TCU put up a fight against the top-ranked team in the Big 10 but fell short in three doubles matches. Kennedy/Hule fought off two match-points in the No. 2 slot but couldn't complete the comeback.

Doubles Results

Chiara Lommer/Giulia Pairone (Mich) d. Addy Guevara/Marie Norris (TCU): 6-1
Andrea Cerdan/Alyvia Jones (Mich) d. Stevie Kennedy/Chloe Hule (TCU): 6-4
Nicole Hammond/Bella Lorenzini (Mich) d. Mercedes Aristegui/Margaret Polk (TCU): 6-2

Up Next
TCU will play Day 2 of the Michigan Invite tomorrow, as they prepare to face No. 25 Ohio State in singles at 9 a.m. followed by doubles play against No. 22 Tennessee at noon.

For more information on TCU women's tennis, visit gofrogs.com and follow the team on social media: @TCUWomensTennis on twitter and Facebook, @tcuwomenstennis on Instagram.