• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Receives High Marks From Athlon

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv..../051611aaa.html

TCU Receives High Marks From Athlon

Carder named a preseason All-American with 10 Frogs tabbed All-MWC

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- TCU linebacker Tank Carder has been named a second-team preseason All-American, while 10 Horned Frogs have received All-Mountain West Conference accolades from Athlon Sports.

Additionally, Athlon ranks TCU's duo of Carder and Tanner Brock as the sixth-best linebacker unit in the nation with the Horned Frogs holding the No. 15 position in the preseason poll.

Joining Carder as first-team preseason All-MWC picks are wide receiver Josh Boyce, offensive guard Kyle Dooley and defensive end Stansly Maponga. Representing TCU on the second team are Brock, safety Tekerrein Cuba, placekicker Ross Evans, cornerback Greg McCoy, tailback Ed Wesley and defensive tackle D.J. Yendrey.

A senior from Sweeny, Texas, Carder was a first-team All-American last season and the Defensive Most Valuable Player in TCU's 21-19 Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin. He has been instrumental in TCU leading the nation in total defense each of the last three seasons.

Carder posted 60 tackles last year, including 9 1/2 for loss. He totaled 3 1/2 sacks, five pass breakups and an interception.

In the 21-19 Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin, Carder broke up the Badgers' potential game-tying 2-point pass with exactly two minutes to play. He totaled six tackles in the contest, including three for loss with a sack.

Brock led TCU with 106 tackles, 26 more than the next-closest Horned Frog. He was a first-team All-Mountain West Conference selection and third-team All-American in 2010.

The junior from Copperas Cove, Texas, recorded a career-high 12 tackles and an interception in TCU's 47-7 win at Utah. He added nine stops in the Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin.

Opintel

Moderators
Athelon puts out possibly the worst pre-season maguesszine, each and every year. They seem to do very little (if any) research on their own, just parrot/steal other reports. What a waste of paper...or electrons.

Actually, all these pre-season mags are goofy - with the possible exception of DC's Texas Football. At least it gives a bit of depth to the estimates, and all that high school coverage is entertaining.

Football off season is tough, ain't it? :tongue:

Gunner

Steele puts out a first rate magazine, with huge amounts of info. He is another slightly bent SEC homer, but get past that and you can find out one heck of alot info on our upcoming opponents. For the gamblers, I would think it would be a must stat book each week.

Athlon, is another SEC stooge and I wouldn't give you a nickel for their crap.

You tell me, there is another team in the country with 2 linebackers good as Brock and Tank. Not even close.

Opintel

Moderators
Steele puts out a first rate magazine, with huge amounts of info. He is another slightly bent SEC homer, but get past that and you can find out one heck of alot info on our upcoming opponents. For the gamblers, I would think it would be a must stat book each week.

Athlon, is another SEC stooge and I wouldn't give you a nickel for their crap.

You tell me, there is another team in the country with 2 linebackers good as Brock and Tank. Not even close.
I have not read Steele's effort. Where is that available for viewing (or purchase even)?

DannyAdelante

Athelon puts out possibly the worst pre-season maguesszine, each and every year.

This is one of my pet hates. Doesn't matter what the topic is, or what point is being made, but every time I see something like this, or O$U, or Ohio State Yuckeyes, or A&M Faggies, or some other lame attempt at fitting an insult into the name of whatever it is you're talking about, I tune out.

oldscribe

This may be put down as sour grapes, since I am old and used to write for a couple of pre-season football mags back in the 60s-80s, but looks to me like all of them now are into whatever can be done with numbers and a lack of insightful information and virtually no quotes.