• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Camp '11: New And Familiar Faces Define Offensive Line

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv..../080611aac.html

TCU Camp '11: New And Familiar Faces Define Offensive Line

Senior guard Kyle Dooley's 27 career starts are the most among all active Horned Frogs

FORT WORTH, Texas -- GoFrogs.com begins its position-by-position preview of the 2011 TCU football team with a look at the offensive line. Although just one official starter returns, a total of four players have started games on the offensive line in their TCU careers.

Kyle Dooley (6-3, 315, Sr.) will be in his fourth year as a starter at left guard. The Papillion, Neb., native came to TCU as a walk-on. His 27 career starts top all active Horned Frogs.

Blaize Foltz (6-4, 310, Jr.) and Jeff Olson (6-4, 300, Sr.) entered the fall as starters at right guard and right tackle, respectively. As injury replacements, Olson has made four career starts while Foltz has two starts to his credit.

Spencer Thompson (6-4, 305, Sr.) is another game-tested veteran. He started three games last season and entered preseason camp second on the depth chart at left guard behind Dooley.

Converted tight end Robert Deck (6-4, 275, Sr.) and James Dunbar (6-6, 305, So.) will battle for the starting job at left tackle. Dunbar lettered in a reserve role behind Marcus Cannon last year.

Also in the mix at left tackle is Nykiren Wellington (6-6, 275, RFr.), who redshirted last season in his first fall on campus.

James Fry (6-3, 290, Jr.) is slated to take over the center duties for TCU. He lettered in a back-up role to Rimington Trophy winner Jake Kirkpatrick last season.

Pushing Fry will be Eric Tausch (6-3, 295, So.) and Michael Thompson (6-4, 315, RFr.).

John Woolridge (6-5, 310, So.) and Ty Horn (6-5, 320, So.) are promising young players in second-team positions at right guard and right tackle, respectively.

BY THE NUMBERS:
1 - Players (Spencer Thompson) on the TCU football team who could have their master's degree completed this fall

6 - Former TCU offensive linemen active in the NFL (Marcus Cannon, New England Patriots; Jake Kirkpatrick, Indianapolis Colts; Marshall Newhouse, Green Bay Packers; Nic Richmond, San Diego Chargers; Herb Taylor, Denver Broncos; Michael Toudouze, Indianapolis Colts)

16 - All-Mountain West Conference selections from the TCU offensive line over the last six seasons

27 - Career starts by Kyle Dooley, most among all active Horned Frogs

36 - Years of collegiate coaching experience by TCU offensive line coach and assistant head coach Eddie Williamson

SuperToad

I'm hoping their backups can get a lot of reps too. I noticed almost all the projected starters are seniors, so they will need all the experience they can with the schedule we have after this season. As FHF said, I have faith in these guys this year.

Gunner

The 85 scholly rule can work against you, although, it has been great for TCU over the years. For instance, we probably should have taken more offensive linemen, the last 3 or 4 years. We may line up 2 offensive tackles that weigh under 290 come September. In the past we have gone to the JC's or prep schools or done something to make up for misses in recruiting. The 85 limitation, tho, does spread the wealth overall.

We don't have one OL committ this year in recruiting.

I really don't worry about Olson at right tackle. He is just an overachiever delux. He looked real good last year and was the starter coming out of spring training last year. He was slightly injured and Roth took over. Roth was underappreciated IMO...has 4 starts.

Left tackle is an entirely different story. That's the blind side for a QB and we got a rookie QB. He needs some stability at that position. Which brings us to Dunbar. Has all the tools and was a recruiting hit a couple years ago. Everybody wanted the guy including Bob Stoops, the raider. Tall, big, long arms, and athletic, he's got everything but savvy. He hasn't taken to the position as he should have IMO. One poster over on PM, who seems knowledgeable, says he hasn't got his head into the adjustments one must learn.

One possible answer to this problem, could be Horn. If Horn could step up at right tackle, we could move Olson to left tackle. Horn is a mean rascal, but is still young. He is also real big at 320. Horn and Michael Thompson have been a little slow to develop. Both were highly thought of coming out of hi school. At one time, I figured, they might move Thompson to left tackle since Dunbar was struggling. Apparently I was the only thinking that. But Michael hasn't stepped up either, not at center, where he is destined to play. He's around 320 too.

Now we have been forced to move a tight end to off tackle. He too, is way too small for the position. Think Deck is around 280, but good feet, they say.. It is hard to criticize our recruiting, with the success we've had. I just hope we don't look back and talk about recruiting too few OL's... come December.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
In reading the D-Line and O-line preview...
why is there no mention of the transfer from BYU or Utah or wherever?

fbb :blink:

dmpinkstaff

One possible answer to this problem, could be Horn. If Horn could step up at right tackle, we could move Olson to left tackle. Horn is a mean rascal, but is still young. He is also real big at 320. Horn and Michael Thompson have been a little slow to develop. Both were highly thought of coming out of hi school. At one time, I figured, they might move Thompson to left tackle since Dunbar was struggling. Apparently I was the only thinking that. But Michael hasn't stepped up either, not at center, where he is destined to play. He's around 320 too.

Agree that Horn is the answer and I get confused by the depth charts/stories that come out about the O-line.
I have been told multiple times by very credible people involved with the O-line that Horn is the #1 at RT. Olson is supposed to go to LT.
Horn had a great spring camp and really dedicated himself over the summer both athletically and academically. He is growing up and hopefully that will translate to good things on the field.
Unfortuntately, have heard that Dunbar has been struggling for several months and didn't do as well as hoped with off-season conditioning (I cannot personally validate this - just what I have been told. I am NOT throwing Dunbar under the bus and actually hope that he comes in and wins the LT spot from Olson.)

The best thing for our O-line is that they go up against our D-line every day and will not see anything close to that level of talent from the D-lines we will face this year.

Go Frogs!!

BABYFACE

In reading the D-Line and O-line preview...
why is there no mention of the transfer from BYU or Utah or wherever?

fbb :blink:

Tayo is practicing with the team. He is awaiting the NCAA ruling if he will be eligible this fall. They are expecting an answer by the end of August. If not, he will have to sit a year, but can still practice.

MidlandFrog

I like all of you am a little concerned about the line, but I have faith in Williamson and don't forget we don't go up against a decent DLine until SMU, we will have time to gel.