• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Soccer Rallies Past Iowa State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/10/6/womens-soccer-tcu-rallies-past-iowa-state.aspx

GoFrogs: Soccer Rallies Past Iowa State

AMES, Iowa – TCU rallied for a 2-1 victory over Iowa State Sunday afternoon at the Cyclone Sports Complex. Gracie Brian notched her second career multi-goal contest in leading the Horned Frogs to victory.

The Rundown
TCU dominated the run of play in the first half, outshooting Iowa State 14-2. Early in the half, the Horned Frogs had a flurry of chances in tight, but shots from Messiah Bright and Grace Collins were saved, while another Bright bid was blocked.

Iowa State started the scoring in the contest in the 54th minute. Courtney Powell gave Iowa State the lead as she tipped in a crossing feed by Claudia Najera.

The Horned Frogs kept on the attack and eventually knotted the game at one in the 62nd minute. Chaylyn Hubbard fed Tara Smith who found a wide open Gracie Brian. Her header redirected the shot into the back of the net for a tie game.

Just over 12 minutes later the Frogs cashed in again. Brian again found herself in the right place at the right time as her turnaround shot snuck past the diving keeper for a 2-1 lead. Haley Mallion intercepted a clearing attempt by Iowa State and worked the ball to McKenna Saul, who's feed to Brian was on target.

Stat of the Game
Gracie Brian collected her fourth game-winning goal this season.

Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell

On the game
"They scored against the run of play and we showed a lot of character and grit to come back and score two. I think the win was deserved. I felt we dominated the lion's share of the game and played some really good soccer. In the final third it was better than it was on Thursday which we had talked about the last two days. I'm proud of our group for doing what we asked them to do and doing it to the best of their ability and giving us a chance to win."

On coming from behind
"It shows that no matter what if we continue to play TCU soccer, no matter what the score is we are going to give ourselves a chance to compete. We are going to grind it out. We believe that we can come back. We've shown it and now I'm sure that will give us confidence moving forward if we ever find ourselves down a goal again."

Notes
• TCU outshot its opponent for the eighth time this year.
• TCU registered 20+ shots in a contest for the fifth time this season.
Gracie Brian scored her seventh and eighth goals of the season.
Tara Smith tallied her sixth assist of the season and the 10th of her career.
Chaylyn Hubbard collected her first assist of the season and the third of her career.
McKenna Saul notched her first career point, an assist on Brian's game-winning goal.
Haley Mallion recorded her first assist of the season and the second of her career.
Emily Alvarado made two saves in the contest.
Yazmeen Ryan, Michelle Slater, Brandi Peterson and Gracie Brian played the entirety of the match.

Next
The Horned Frogs (8-4-1, 2-1-1) will return home to host Baylor Thursday night at 7 p.m.