• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Patterson Meets With The Media

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083011aac.html

Patterson Meets With The Media

No. 14 TCU opens the 2011 campaign at Baylor Friday in a 7 p.m. contest on ESPN

PRESS CONFERENCE VIDEO

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU football coach Gary Patterson held the first of his weekly news conferences Tuesday in the Four Sevens Team Room of the Meyer-Martin Athletic Complex. The 14th-ranked Horned Frogs open the 2011 campaign Friday at Baylor.

Included below are excerpts from Patterson's meeting with the media.

On finding leadership on his team ...
"Every kid's personality is different. I didn't really figure out the 2009 team until Clemson, which was the third ballgame of the season. I'm feeling my way through this group. I do know we have to grow up because we're going to play some young players."

On preparing for a season with a younger team ...
"You just have to approach it and get ready to go. We have enough older players that know how to play. We really don't have any freshmen starting, so that's the biggest key."

On young players who shined during camp ...
"Both of the inside tackles, Jon Lewis and Chuck Hunter, had great camps. All of the wide receivers, because of necessity, starting with Brandon Carter, Cam White, David Porter and LaDarius Brown have an opportunity to play in this ballgame."

On approaching a season opener ...
"You get a long time to prepare. We took Friday and did a mock game. We've done two substitution reviews that we do on the sideline. We'll go through another mock game this week. It's the second game you worry about because the younger players never had to turn around and do a game plan in seven days. That's one of the reasons we worked on Air Force in two-a-days, both offensively and defensively, more than what we have in the past."

On going into the season with the No. 1-ranked defense the last three years ...
"No. 1 statistically is all relative. It's a what you do and how you do it statistic. For us, it's a tradition of what we want to get accomplished. We have proven that we can play. The biggest statistic is scoring one more point. That's the only one that should ever count. It's fun with your kids and for recruiting to be able to do the rest of it. To end up three years in a row No. 1 statistically, you've got to have luck on your side. All it takes is one bad game. Win or lose, you give up a couple easy passes, a long run and it's all out the window. You just worry about the score. At the end of the season, it's something to talk about and our kids take pride in it. The bottom line to it is scoring one more point."

On the versatility of Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III ...
"Even in their losses at the end of the season, and I've watched every ballgame two or three times, he's still scrambling for 30 or 40 yards and can beat you with his feet. When he has the kind of people he has at wide out and a big offensive line, he's a guy who can beat you. He's an unbelievable athlete. I don't know if I've ever faced anybody who can run as fast as he can."

On new Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett ...
"They'll be a lot more aggressive. They'll get in your face, press, blitz and come after you. I think his style and toughness fits Baylor. It was a great hire by Coach (Art) Briles. He's going to make Baylor a lot better."

On the expected crowd at Baylor and the rivalry ...
"I expect it to be a big one. I think the last time we were there, it was one of the biggest crowds they've had. I expect this to be the next one. There's a whole bunch of kids at Baylor that I recruited, whether I offered them scholarships or not. For one week, you've got to go play a ballgame. For one week, you've got to get after it, then, like I did last year, I'm going to cheer for Baylor. Just like I cheer for SMU, Texas, Texas A&M and the rest of them."