• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: No. 9 Oklahoma at TCU MBB Preview

WhatTheFrog

It was a physical tough game. No team looked particularly good. It was hard to get in a flow, but winning ugly is fine in my book.
It's hard to get in a flow in any game when there are that many whistles. My least favorite kind of games. OU was in the bonus and TCU was one foul from being in the bonus less than 9 minutes into the 2nd half.

y2kFrog

While last year’s team led CBB in fast break points, it felt like they could be slowed down if the other team wanted to slow it down. This years team seems different. We are forcing more turnovers than last year which helps, but there were times last night OU was back on defense but we just forced it at them anyway. We lead CBB in fast break points by over 5 points per game. The distance between us and the second place team is the same as second place team to 70th place team.

Last edited:

JogginFrog

If I had a player who was 0 for 9 from the field, I'd likely sit him and say, "Not your night; bounce back strong next time." At the least, I'd tell him not to shoot anything but uncontested layups. Possessions are too valuable.

Good for Dixon to not put the shackles on Anderson last night. He was electric in the second half. Went 5-6 from the field down the stretch and finished with 15 points, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block against 1 turnover.

JogginFrog

While last year’s team led CBB in fast break points, it felt like they could be slowed down if the other team wanted to slow it down. This years team seems different. We are forcing more turnovers than last year which helps, but there were times last night OU was back on defense but we just forced it at them anyway. We lead CBB in fast break points by over 5 points per game. The distance between us and the second place team is same as the second place team to the 70th place team.
I love seeing the pressure on the perimeter, despite the risk of lobs and cutters. It lets the quick guys force the action while showing confidence in players' discipline to not blow their assignment and athleticism to close and challenge at the rim.

And like you said, a transition mentality can benefit the half-court offense as well.

Last edited:
As the crowd started chanting SEC SEC last night this OU uncle-brother turned to the 20-something TCU kid behind him who was talking some good smack and said "Seven national championships." My first thought was "in basketball??" Then the kid said "we have 2." The guy replies "nothing before WW2 counts" and it got me to thinking that TCU probably threw as many forward passes in their 2 than OU did in 6 of their championships and 3 of them were pre-integration.

Refs were horrible both ways last night, with several wrong calls and unnecessary foul calls. Glad the frogs pulled it out and never really seemed to be in trouble.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
We make a normal # of our shots from within 4 feet, and that game isn't even close. I hope (and believe) that the team is feeling their power.
We missed two dunks and two layups. Along with the cold shooting from 3 during the same stretch it made me nervous. But OU was unable to take advantage and we actually grew the lead.

mgsouthpaw

He missed one. I think Cork missed the other IIRC.

Cork makes me lose my dodge ram mind! Only 7' guy who when he gets the ball holds it at his knees so little guys can get to it.....right before he goes up soft and misses an easy shot.

i love this team, but if you take our 3 big guys' best traits and combine them i don't know you'd have an elite big man. ugh.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
We missed two dunks and two layups. Along with the cold shooting from 3 during the same stretch it made me nervous. But OU was unable to take advantage and we actually grew the lead.
Yup. Good defense on our part almost all night (and OU for a good chunk of the game too, credit where it's due). We also missed a bunch of really short bank shots that we normally make most of. Exciting first two games and almost the optimal result from them. Really excited for Saturday

Dogfrog

Cork makes me lose my dodge ram mind! Only 7' guy who when he gets the ball holds it at his knees so little guys can get to it.....right before he goes up soft and misses an easy shot.

i love this team, but if you take our 3 big guys' best traits and combine them i don't know you'd have an elite big man. ugh.
Cork is listed at 6-9. Probably really 6-8. Of our centers he has the best offensive moves inside. He is a warrior on defense. He’s a guy who has to work hard to overcome his deficiencies. Glad we have him.