• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Men's Tennis Season Ends in NCAA Quarterfinals

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/5/16/mens-tennis-season-ends-in-ncaa-quarterfinals.aspx

GoFrogs: Men's Tennis Season Ends in NCAA Quarterfinals

ORLANDO, Fla. – The 2019 season came to an end for the No. 9 TCU men's tennis team in the quarterfinals of the 2019 NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championship as the Horned Frogs dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 2 Texas on Thursday afternoon at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla.

The Longhorns (27-3) jumped on TCU (22-7) early in doubles and never looked back as they nabbed the wins on courts one and two to get the early 1-0 lead. The Frogs did not back down from the challenge and battled hard in singles action.

No. 4 Alex Rybakov avenged one of his few losses from the spring by taking out No. 7 Christian Sigsgaard on the top court, 6-4, 6-2. The senior improved to 25-4 overall this season and 17-4 against ranked opponents. Texas had grabbed the opening sets on the remaining courts in action and held leads in all the second sets still in play. The Frogs continued to fight for points, but the lead was just too much to overcome as the Longhorns picked up straight-set wins on courts six, two and four, to complete the victory.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach David Roditi
Opening Statement
"At the end of the day, they had a lot of seniors on that squad and juniors, and they went against our underclassmen. We didn't execute in the right moments. We had so many opportunities in doubles and we gave them some games in the doubles. Not to take any credit away. I mean, they didn't give it to us, so they deserve all the credit in the world and they're the ones advancing.

"Those first sets, too many of those first sets got away from us. We had break points on many courts and we didn't convert on any of them and it came back to cost us. We just put ourselves too far, in too deep of a hole, for us to climb back. We almost did, we were fighting and fighting, but it just wasn't enough.

"You know, I'm happy for those guys, I'm proud of what all the coaches have put together as a team at Texas. This team has been building for four years. I want to congratulate all the coaches that put together an unbelievable lineup out there. I wish them the best of the luck and congratulations to Texas. I hope they represent the Big 12 well. We're the best conference in tennis, at least one of the best. I wish them the best of luck.

"And thanks to the fans who came out to support us all the way from Fort Worth. I love seeing purple out there. These guys are just die-hards and put their lives on hold to come watch us, and we really appreciate all they do for us."

On the end of the season
"It's bittersweet. It's bitter because we lost and I feel like this team could have won it all, if we had played the right ways at the right times. It's sweet because it was a great season and there's a lot to be proud of. There were so many unknowns about our team at the beginning of the year. I couldn't be more proud of the way our freshmen came through, the way our seniors led and everybody in between.

"There's a lot to be proud of, our whole coaching staff, everybody. One thing that I'm really proud about is our team went through the whole season, including coaches, without a point penalty. Not one guy broke down, not one guy showed disrespect to the program or disrespect to the school. That's amazing. I don't know if it'll ever happen again. It takes a lot of discipline."

Match Results
TCU vs Texas
May 16, 2019 at Orlando, Fla.
(USTA National Campus)
#2 Texas 4, #9 TCU 1

Singles competition
1. #4 Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. #7 Christian Sigsgaard (UT) 6-4, 6-2
2. #12 Yuya Ito (UT) def. #28 Alastair Gray (TCU) 7-5, 6-1
3. #80 Leonardo Telles (UT) vs. Reese Stalder (TCU) 7-6 (7-3), 4-3, unfinished
4. #55 Harrison Scott (UT) def. Bertus Kruger (TCU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
5. Colin Markes (UT) vs. Luc Fomba (TCU) 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
6. Rodrigo Banzer (UT) def. Sander Jong (TCU) 6-4, 6-2

Doubles competition
1. #5 Harrison Scott/Christian Sigsgaard (UT) def. #15 Alastair Gray/Alex Rybakov (TCU) 6-2
2. Colin Markes/Leonardo Telles (UT) def. #22 Bertus Kruger/Reese Stalder (TCU) 6-3
3. Chih Chi Huang/Yuya Ito (UT) vs. Sander Jong/Luc Fomba (TCU) 3-5, unfinished

Match Notes:
TCU 22-7; National ranking #10
Texas 27-3; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,6,2,4)
2019 NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals
Played on Collegiate Courts 7-12, doubles played on 8-10
Oracle/ITA Team Rankings: Texas #2, TCU #9
T-2:08

Up Next
With the loss to Texas, TCU concludes the team portion of the 2019 season. Alex Rybakov, Alastair Gray, Bertus Kruger and Reese Stalder will compete in the NCAA Individual Championships that will be held at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla., from May 20-25.