• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Holaday A Semifinalist For The Johnny Bench Award

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
4871332.jpeg

[SIZE=14pt]GoFrogs: Holaday A Semifinalist For The Johnny Bench Award[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Senior is one 16 semifinalists[/SIZE]

FORT WORTH, Texas - TCU senior catcher Bryan Holaday has been named one of the 16 semifinalists for the Coleman Company-Johnny Bench Award. Holaday is the lone member of the Mountain West Conference to be tabbed a semifinalist.

Holaday is having an outstanding year at the plate and behind the dish. His .370 batting average ranks third on the squad as do his 12 home runs. He has scored a team-high 53 runs and is one of only two Horned Frogs to have started all 51 contests. The senior has also picked up 20 doubles on the season.

Holaday has made a name for himself behind the plate as well. He is second nationally, throwing out 53% of base stealers and has surrendered just 17 all season. Even more impressive are his numbers in conference play where he has thrown out 69% of base stealers. In addition to his caught stealing numbers, the senior leads the team with six pickoffs. He boasts a .993 fielding percentage.

Nomination forms were emailed to all division one baseball programs in January. Catchers that were nominated by their schools were on the watch list. A selection committee of twenty individuals narrowed the watch list down to the semifinalists.

Statistics will now be compiled on each of the semifinalists and sent to the national voting panel at the end of May for a vote to determine the three finalists. The finalists will be announced June 2, 2010 prior to the NCAA Regionals and Major League Baseball Draft.

A final vote among the national committee will occur during the College World Series. All finalists will be brought to Wichita and the winner will be announced at the 13th Annual Greater Wichita Sports Banquet on July 1, 2010.

The Coleman Company-Johnny Bench Award semifinalists are (in alphabetical order):
Jeff Arnold, University of Louisville
Jett Bandy, University of Arizona
Chris Berset, University of Michigan
Robert Brantly, UC Riverside
Dan Burkhart, Ohio State University
Micah Gibbs, Louisiana State University
Andrew Giobbi, Vanderbilt University
Yasmani Grandal, University of Miami
Ben Heath, Pennsylvania State University
Bryan Holaday, Texas Christian University
Jose Iglesias, Coastal Carolina University
Jim Klocke, Southeast Missouri State
Ryan Lipkin, University of San Francisco
Matt Rice, Western Kentucky
Cameron Rupp, University of Texas
Derek Trent, East Tennessee State University

TCUExaminer

Contributor
I'm not gonna lie. I have a bit of a man-crush on Bryan Holaday. That dude can mash, and is as gutty of a catcher as I've ever seen . . . and I've seen a lot of baseball in my time.

Him and Vlad Guererro. He's just an ogre.