• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Frog Offense Keeps Flying Against Tennessee Tech

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
5706514.jpeg

http://gofrogs.cstv..../091110aaa.html

Frog Offense Keeps Flying Against Tennessee Tech

TCU ran up 441 yards on Tennessee Tech in a 62-7 victory.

Stats (.html) | Stats (.pdf) | Quotes | Notes | Photo Gallery 1
media-icon-photogallery.gif
| Photo Gallery 2

Press Conference Video
icon_video_bluebg.gif
| TCU Faces in the Crowd

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) In the end, the fourth-ranked TCU Horned Frogs did exactly what they were supposed to do against a lower-division FCS team.

A dominating 62-7 victory over Tennessee Tech extended the Horned Frogs' home winning streak to 15 games, yet still gave coach Gary Patterson plenty of teaching points after a penalty-filled game that led to a postgame apology Saturday night.

"I didn't want to score the last touchdown. We don't do style points. ... That's not the program that we are, period. I did not want to score 60," Patterson said. "I'm not unhappy. I'm just not going to come in here jumping up and down."

TCU (2-0) was running out the clock and didn't even throw a pass while scoring three times in the fourth quarter, including a 16-yard touchdown run by seldom-used fullback Ryan Hightower with 4 minutes left. The fifth-year senior appearing in only his fourth game cut left on a short run and had a wide-open lane to the end zone.

The Frogs were just that much better than Tennessee Tech (0-2), where Patterson earned a master's degree while serving as a graduate assistant from 1983-85.

Matthew Tucker ran for two touchdowns and Andy Dalton threw for a score while setting another TCU record, tying Max Knake's school record of 622 career completions with his second against the Golden Eagles. That was a 24-yard TD to Josh Boyce less than 5 minutes into the game to put TCU ahead to stay.

"I had no idea. I didn't know I broke anything," said Dalton, who also had a 19-yard TD run. "It shows I've been playing for a long time. I guess it's good to have, but not anything I'm focused on."

Dalton completed 15 of 21 passes for 182 yards in his 31st career victory, two more than "Slingin' Sammy" Baugh for the most at TCU and four more than Boise State's Kellen Moore for the most among active FCS quarterbacks. The fourth-year starter increased his career passing yardage number to 7,814 while still 66 attempts shy of Knake's mark of 1,115 set from 1992-95.

There would be no repeat of Patterson's first home game as the Frogs' coach in 2001, when they lost to lower-division Northwestern State of Louisiana. That was the last time they lost a home opener.

Or another Ohio Valley Conference team winning on the road against an FBS team like Jacksonville State at Mississippi last week. Patterson quickly made his team aware of the OVC upset in the first meeting this week.

A week after defeating then-No. 24 Oregon State 30-21 in a season opener about 20 miles away at Cowboys Stadium, it was TCU's home opener for the 80th season at Amon G. Carter Stadium, which will undergo a $105 million renovation after this season. And it was far from perfect.

TCU had seven penalties for 70 yards in the first half, including two personal fouls. An illegal block wiped out a 54-yard kickoff return by Jeremy Kerley after Tech's only touchdown which came on Tre Lamb's 11-yard pass to Tremain Hudson.

"People will perceive the game differently," Kerley said. "We know what it was, we know we have to make up for those mistakes. "

The Horned Frogs scored twice in the final 1:26 of the first half for a 35-7 lead after Tennessee Tech (0-2) fumbled on consecutive offensive plays.

"I have a very tired team right now," Tech coach Watson Brown said. "TCU executed really well and knocked the fool out of us. Each turnover was when we ran the ball and they just popped us. The combination of turnovers and them being very good, it was just too much."

Jason Teague returned an interception 29 yards for a touchdown at the end of the first quarter for a 21-0 lead, and forced the first of Tennessee Tech's fumbles that led to a score.

Cass Barnes took his first snap as Tech's quarterback late in the first half and fumbled the keeper after getting hit by Teague. Tanner Brock recovered at the Golden Eagles 39.

After a 37-yard pass was wiped out by a holding call - TCU's third in a 10-play span - Dalton hit Boyce for 32-yard gain. Kerley scored on a 5-yard run.

Doug Page then fumbled on the Golden Eagles' next snap at the 20, setting up Tucker's second TD. He leaped over the right side from a yard out.

Ed Wesley ran 11 times for 85 yards with a 7-yard TD to start the fourth quarter. Waymon James (15 yards) and Hightower also scored in the fourth quarter in TCU's highest-scoring game since a 67-7 victory over FCS team Stephen F. Austin in the 2008 home opener.

Tennessee Tech is the only FCS team that opened the season against consecutive Top 25 teams, having lost at 14th-ranked Arkansas 44-3 in its opener. The Golden Eagles are now 0-26 against FBS teams, including seven in Brown's four seasons.

"I am proud of my kids, they have fought hard for two weeks," Brown said. "We just have to hang together and get back home and start our second season."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://gofrogs.cstv..../091110aab.html

TCU-Tennessee Tech Postgame Quotes

TCU Coach Gary Patterson
On scoring the last touchdown
"First off, I want to publicly apologize. I didn't want to score that last touchdown on Tennessee Tech. We don't do style points. We didn't throw the ball in the fourth quarter. We tried not to do that. That's not the program we are. I did not want to score 60."

On his team's performance
"We're 2-0. That's what you're supposed to do to a 1-AA team. We made too many mistakes. It doesn't matter what the score is. We run a kickoff back, we have a block in the back. We had a long punt return; we had a block in the back. We had too many holdings, too many jumps, too many false formations, too many wrong things."

On cleaning up the penalties from the first half leading into the second half
"I told them we needed to start acting like the fourth-ranked team in the nation. At some point in time, you've got to take ownership. When you've got big ballgames, starting with Baylor this week, you can't make those kinds of mistakes."

On his thoughts of the game
"Bottom line is, it doesn't matter who you play or what the score is, that's not how we do things around here. I'm not unhappy. Let me get it straight, but I'm not going to come in here and jump up and down. We're 2-0. That's all we are."

TCU WR Jeremy Kerley
On getting his big punt return taken off the board
"You can't be too mad. When you've got guys blocking hard for you, things will happen like this. As long as it doesn't happen again, we're good."

On the team's play
"We have a level of play that we want to pertain to every game. Coach knew we didn't come out and attack that."

TCU S Colin Jones
On his thoughts on the game
"It was a good win. We played as a team. We'll just take it one game at a time and look forward to playing the Bears next week."

On cleaning up the penalties going into the second half
"You have to eliminate penalties. You can only control what you do. That goes with penalties and everything else. If you take care of your business, that's all you can ask for, so that's what we tried to do the second half."

TCU QB Andy Dalton
On what he takes from this game
"For us to go out and get a win tonight was good, but we've got to clean up the mistakes. We weren't cleaning and we weren't fully on with everything we were doing offensively. It's something we've got to go in this week and fix and get ready for next week."

On if they relaxed in the second quarter
"I wouldn't really say we were lazy. That was one of the things we really pushed on the sidelines that we've got to keep going. We couldn't just get satisfied with the way we were playing. We had some penalties early on. That hurt us. We can't have penalties to stop a drive."

TCU DE Wayne Daniels
On the performance of the younger guys on the defensive line
"They get better every week. Stansly and Braylon are improving in all kinds of different areas. Most of us older guys, we like watching the younger guys play. It's just repetition over and over. If you don't get to play often and you get thrown in the fire, you panic a little bit. But, I think those guys handled themselves well.

Tennessee Tech Head Coach Watson Brown
Opening Statement
"TCU is really good. I have a very tired team right now. You just can't turn the ball over five times. They executed really well and knocked the fool out of us. Each turnover was when we ran the ball and they just popped us. The combination of turnovers and them being very good, it was just too much. But I am proud of my kids, they have fought hard for two weeks. We just have to hang together and get back home and start our second season."

On having no margin for error
"They are very good. It's like I said, you can play perfect and still get beat bad. We have played two very good teams the last two weeks."

On the defense being better this week
"I don't know. With the score being 62-7, I just don't know. I need to watch the tape. I will say that we played good enough defense to try and keep it close. They helped us a little bit, and we stayed close, but they just exhausted us. We played everyone we could play, there were third stringers in there tonight. They just out lasted us."

On next week's matchup
"We have to work hard, it wont be easy at all. We are very tired. We have to get our heads up and get back. We get to play an in-state school that wants a piece of us. The things that happen in games like this is that you learn what your shortcomings are. We learned what those are after the last two weeks."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://gofrogs.cstv..../091110aad.html

TCU-Tennessee Tech Postgame Notes

Team Notes
*TCU won for the 16th time in its last 17 games and is now 28-3 in its last 31 contests.

*TCU extended its home winning streak to 15 games. Since 1999, the Horned Frogs are 57-6 in their last 63 home dates at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

*In its last five home games, TCU has allowed just six touchdowns and outscored its opponents 253-51.

*TCU has won nine straight home openers.

*TCU's 62 points marked its highest output since a 67-7 win over Stephen F. Austin on Sept. 6, 2008.

*Eight of TCU's last nine wins are by at least 27 points.

*TCU improved to 63-2 when allowing 17 points or less under head coach Gary Patterson.

*The Horned Frogs were +4 in turnover margin and improved to 46-1 when ahead (33-1) or even (13-0) in that category since 2005.

*TCU improved to 49-4 in Saturday games dating back to the start of the 2005 campaign.

*TCU scored for the 218th consecutive game, a mark that currently ranks third in the NCAA as well as being 13th all-time.

*TCU totaled five sacks. Six different players recorded at least half a sack.

Individual Notes
*Andy Dalton became TCU's career leader in pass completions with a 6-yard first-quarter strike to Curtis Clay. Dalton now has 635 completions in his career, surpassing the Horned Frogs' previous mark of 622 by Max Knake (1992-95).

*Dalton was 15-of-21 for 182 yards and a touchdown while also rushing for a 19-yard score.

*Dalton's 19-yard third-quarter touchdown run was his third rushing score of the season, tying his total from last year. It was also the longest scoring run among Dalton's 19 career rushing touchdowns.

*Dalton won his 31st game as TCU's starting quarterback. He is the Horned Frogs' career leader in victories while also leading the nation in wins by an active signal caller.

*Alex Ibiloye and Tanner Brock tied for the TCU lead with nine tackles. The two players also led the Frogs in stops (six) in the season-opening 30-21 win over Oregon State.

*Ibiloye's nine stops tied a career high previously recorded on three other occasions.

*Ibiloye accounted for three of the Frogs' six forced fumbles. Ibiloye's total was more than any Frog amassed during the entire 2009 season. Jerry Hughes led TCU with two forced fumbles last year. Ibiloye had TCU's first game with multiple forced fumbles since Hughes against BYU in 2008.

*Wayne Daniels totaled 1 1/2 sacks and now has 3 1/2 on the season. He has recorded multiple sacks in both games this season after notching a pair in the season-opening win over Oregon State.

*Josh Boyce's 24-yard first-quarter touchdown reception from Dalton was his first career scoring grab and just the second catch of his collegiate career. He finished the game with three receptions for 70 yards.

*Ross Evans' first extra point of the game enabled him to break TCU career records for PATs made and attempted. Evans now has 122 PATs made, breaking Chris Kaylakie's previous mark of 114 (1998-00). Evans has 131 career PAT attempts, moving past Chris Manfredini (122, 2005-07) for the top spot all-time at TCU.

*Evans' missed extra point in the third quarter snapped his streak of 47 consecutive PATs made. It's a mark that had ranked third all-time at TCU.

*Evans tied a TCU single-game record with eight PATs. The mark had been accomplished six other times, including twice previously by Evans.

*Bart Johnson had seven receptions to tie a career-high set in last year's win over Texas State, giving him a catch in 24 straight games. It's the longest streak of his career and tops among current Horned Frogs.

*Jeff Olson made his first career start. He started at left tackle.

*Matthew Tucker's first-half scoring runs of 3 and 1 yards were his first rushing touchdowns of the season. He now has 10 touchdowns in only 15 career games.

*Jason Teague's 29-yard interception return for a touchdown was his third career pick and first score. It was TCU's first interception return for a touchdown since Rafael Priest returned a pick 47 yards in the fourth quarter of last year's regular-season finale versus New Mexico.

*Jeremy Kerley's 5-yard second-quarter scoring run was his seventh career rushing touchdown.

*Alonzo Adams had an 11-yard second-quarter reception for his second career catch and first grab since the 2008 campaign.

*Waymon James made his collegiate debut and had a 15-yard fourth quarter touchdown run on only his third career rush.

*Ryan Hightower scored his first career touchdown on his second career rush, a 16-yard scamper in the fourth quarter. His only previous career carry was a 3-yard rush versus Colorado State in 2009.

weklfrog

Some interesting stats are that we only ran 7 more plays than TT did (62 to 55) but TT had more TOP than we did (31:27 to 28:33).