DENVER – A floater by JaKobe Coles with 1.5 seconds remaining gave six-seed TCU a 72-70 win over 11-seed Arizona State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament
GoFrogs: Coles Hits Game-Winner in 72-70 Win over Sun Devils
JaKobe Coles with 1.5 seconds remaining gave six-seed TCU a 72-70 win over 11-seed Arizona State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Ball Arena on Friday.
TCU (22-12), which trailed 44-37 at halftime and as many as 11 in the second half, did not take a second-half lead until a pair of Damion Baugh free throws with 34 seconds to play. Over a minute earlier, Baugh made a 3-pointer to tie the game, 67-67.
Leading 70-67 with 24.1 seconds to play after a Mike Miles free throw, the Sun Devils' DJ Horne made his fourth 3-pointer to tie the game, 70-70 with 15.7 seconds left to set up Coles' game-winning bucket.
Miles led all players with 26 points with the help of a 12-of-14 effort from the free throw line. The Horned Frogs made 20-of-27 (74.1 percent) at the charity stripe and tied a season-low with five turnovers.
Arizona State (23-13), which led by as many as 11 points early in the second half, was led in scoring by Home with 17 points. TCU also led by 11 points, 13-2, just under four minutes into the game.
Coles finished with 11 points, as did Baugh, who scored all 11 in the second half. Chuck O'Bannon Jr. scored 15 points with a 3-of-8 effort from 3-point range. Emanuel Miller had eight points to go with seven rebounds.
The Horned Frogs will attempt to win multiple games in the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history when they face third-seeded Gonzaga on Sunday at 8:40 p.m. CT on TBS.
- TCU improved to 7-9 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the second round for the second-straight season.
- TCU improved to 6-1 this season at neutral sites.
- TCU improved to 8-2 in game played in NBA Arenas under Dixon.
- TCU tied a season-low with five turnovers.
- TCU outrebounded ASU, 38-34. The Frogs improved to 15-2 this season and 115-36 under Dixon when outrebounding their opponent.
- Mike Miles Jr. scored a team-high 26 points. It was his 24th game in double figures this season out of 26 played and his ninth 20-point game this season.
- It was the fourth-most by a TCU player in an NCAA Tournament game and the most since Lee Nailon's 32 against Florida State on March 13, 1998.
- Miles was 12-of-14 from the free throw line, both career highs. It was the most free throws made by a TCU player in an NCAA Tournament game.
- Miles had a career-high two blocked shots.
- Chuck O'Bannon Jr. scored 15 points. It was his 14th game this season with 10 or more points and third straight game with double digit points.
- Damion Baugh had a team-high eight assists. It was his 17th-straight game leading TCU in assists and the 25th time this season leading the team in that category out of 28 games played.
- Baugh's eight assists tied for the most by a TCU player in an NCAA Tournament game. Alex Robinson had eight against Syracuse on March 16, 2018.
- Baugh scored all 11 of his points in the second half.