TCU Opens Big 12 Play Victorious At Oklahoma - TCU Athletics
NORMAN, Okla – No. 11 TCU scored multiple runs in five innings en route to a 13-5 victory over Oklahoma in the Big 12 opener for both teams. Brayden Taylor and Karson
GoFrogs: TCU Opens Big 12 Play Victorious At Oklahoma
Brayden Taylor and Karson Bowen homered for TCU. Eight Horned Frogs tallied an RBI in the game.
TCU opened the scoring in the second inning with a trio of two out runs. Logan Maxwell's two-out single got the Frogs on the board and Brayden Taylor followed with a two-run home run.
Holding a 3-1 advantage heading into the fifth, TCU came up with a pair of two out runs to push the lead to four, 5-1. Austin Davis singled home Elijah Nunez and scored on a Cole Fontenelle double.
Karson Bowen led off the sixth with a home run to left. Two more runs scored on a Nunez grounded out to drive in Maxwell and Taylor scored on a wild pitch to extend the lead to 8-1. Fontenelle's third double of the game drove in two runs in the eighth for a 10-1 advantage.
After Oklahoma picked up three runs in the eighth, TCU responded with a three spot of its own in the ninth. RBI doubles from Nunez and Davis highlighted the frame. Oklahoma tallied a single run in the ninth to account for the final score.
Ryan Vanderhei (2-2) allowed a run on three hits in five innings. He walked four and struck out three in the outing. Sam Stoutenborough and Cohen Feser combined to pitch the final four innings for TCU.
Stat of the Game:
3 – Cole Fontenelle doubled three times in the game, tying a TCU record set 13 times previously. The last Horned Frog to hit three doubles in a game was Jantzen Witte against Kansas on March 15, 2013.
• TCU scored eight of its 13 runs with two outs.
• TCU scored double-digit runs (13) for the third time this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits (15) for the seventh time this season.
• TCU homered in a game for the 12th time this season.
• TCU hit multiple home runs for the fourth time this season.
• TCU improved to 7-2 when scoring first.
• TCU played errorless baseball for the fourth time this season.
• TCU stole multiple bases (5) in a game for the eighth time this season.
• Brayden Taylor hit his fifth home run of the season and the 30th of his career.
• Taylor tallied his fourth multi-RBI game of the year and the 31st of his career.
• Elijah Nunez posted his third multi-RBI game of the season and the 14th of his career.
• Tre Richardson collected his ninth multi-hit game of the season and the 44th of his career.
• Austin Davis posted his fifth multi-hit game of the year and the 49th of his career.
• Davis tallied his second multi-RBI game of the year and the 16th of his career.
• Cole Fontenelle stretched his hitting streak to eight games.
• Fontenelle collected his third multi-hit game of the year and the fifth of his career.
• Fontelle posted his third career multi-RBI game.
• Karson Bowen hit his second career home run.
• Bowen tallied his fifth career multi-hit game.
• Logan Maxwell picked up his second multi-hit game of the season and the fifth of his career.
With the win, TCU improves to 10-7 on the season and 1-0 in Big 12 play. Game 2 of the series is set for Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m. Kole Klecker will get the start for the Horned Frogs. The game will be televised on ESPN+.