• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: #12 Bears Down Horned Frogs in Triple Overtime

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/11/9/football-12-bears-down-horned-frogs-in-triple-overtime.aspx

GoFrogs: #12 Bears Down Horned Frogs in Triple Overtime
FORT WORTH – The TCU Horned Frogs dropped a heartbreaker, falling 29-23, in three overtimes to No. 12 Baylor Saturday afternoon at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

TCU led 9-0 at the half and then had a 9-6 lead late in the game, but Baylor connected on a 51-yard field goal with 36 seconds left in regulation to send the game into overtime.

The Horned Frogs played in their first triple overtime game since the 2016 Alamo Bowl, but the home team's last attempt to tie the score and send it into another overtime was thwarted. Trailing 29-23 with a 3rd-and-5 at the Baylor 20, TCU quarterback Max Duggan scrambled for an apparent game-tying touchdown. However, after an instant replay review, it was ruled that Duggan stepped out at the 3. The Bears' defense then stiffened and held the Horned Frogs out of the end zone.

TCU held Baylor to 204 yards of offense at the close of regulation with the Bears finishing with 294. It was just the 11th time in 112 games under TCU head coach Gary Patterson for the Horned Frogs to lose when limiting an opponent to under 300 yards.

TCU scored the first nine points of the game and took a 9-0 lead into halftime following field goals from Griffin Kell (47 yards) and Jonathan Song (37, 31). Baylor's John Mayers notched the next nine points of regulation with field goals from 36, 24 and 51 yards out.

Baylor opened the first overtime period with a 3-yard rushing touchdown from Charlie Brewer to give the Bears their first lead of the game, 16-9. TCU countered with a 24-yard touchdown pass from Max Duggan to Te'Vailance Hunt on a 4th-and-9 to tie the game at 16 and forced a second overtime. The touchdown was originally called an incomplete pass, but following review it was deemed that Hunt had a hand in the end zone and possession of the ball for the TD.

Sewo Olonilua put TCU back up with a 2-yard score in the second overtime period, giving the Horned Frogs a 23-16 advantage. Baylor's offensive possession came down to a 4th-and-5, but Brewer found Denzel Mims from 20 yards to send the game into a third overtime with the score knotted at 23-23.

Brewer and Mims again hooked up on Baylor's next possession, this time from 4 yards out. The Bears' two-point attempt was not successful though, and the Baylor lead was just 29-23. TCU's final possession ended with the Bears' defense making the stops.

Today's win marked the first victory for the Bears (9-0, 6-0) over TCU (4-5, 2-4) in the past five attempts.

UP NEXT
TCU will be on the road at Texas Tech next Saturday, Nov. 16. Kickoff between the Horned Frogs and Red Raiders is set for 11 a.m. and the contest will be televised on ESPN2.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU-BAYLOR POSTGAME NOTES

TCU 23, BAYLOR 29 (3OT)

Team Notes

* TCU played its second home game in an eight-week stretch.
* TCU had defeated Baylor the previous four seasons, its longest winning streak in the series since a run of eight straight victories from 1964-71.
* TCU's Gary Patterson is 8-4 as a head coach versus Baylor.
* Since beginning Big 12 play in 2012, TCU is 5-3 against Baylor.
* Over the last six seasons, TCU's 51-24 overall record and 32-19 conference mark both rank second in the Big 12.
* TCU led 9-0 at the half. The Horned Frogs are 136-19 under Patterson when ahead at the half.
* TCU is 8-9 in overtime games in the Patterson era.
* TCU played its first overtime game since the 2018 Cheez-It Bowl and its first regular-season overtime contest since Oct. 29, 2016, versus Texas Tech. It was the Horned Frogs' first triple-overtime contest since a 47-41 victory over Oregon in the 2016 Valero Alamo Bowl.
* With true freshmen defensive end Colt Ellison and cornerback Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson making their first career starts, TCU has now had five true freshmen start on defense this season. Ellison and Hodges-Tomlinson join linebacker Wyatt Harris, cornerback Kee'yon Stewart and linebacker Dee Winters.
* The Horned Frogs are 89-23 under Patterson at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
* TCU is 42-17 in regular-season games following a loss under Patterson.
* The Horned Frogs had three sacks, giving them at least one in 76 of their last 79 games.
* TCU's 9-0 halftime lead gave Baylor a scoreless half for the first time in its last 12 games, dating back to Nov. 10, 2018, at Iowa State.
*TCU held an opponent scoreless in the first half for the third time this season. The Horned Frogs also accomplished the feat against Kansas and Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
* TCU scored for the 342nd consecutive game. It's the nation's second-longest current streak and fourth all-time in NCAA history. The Horned Frogs haven't been blanked since Nov. 16, 1991, at Texas (32-0).
* TCU's team captains were Ross Blacklock, Cordel Iwuagwu, Jalen Reagor and Garret Wallow. Wallow has been a captain each game this season.
* TCU wore a purple helmet with a black jersey and purple pants.

Individual Notes

Offense
* Sewo Olonilua's team-best 79 yards rushing put him over 1,500 in his career. He's now at 1,512.
* Olonilua's 2-yard scoring run in the second overtime was his sixth rushing touchdown of the season, tying him with Darius Anderson for the team lead.
* Olonilua had a career long 35-yard carry on the opening series, surpassing his previous best of 32 yards in last year's Cheez-It Bowl.
* Pro Wells tied a career-high with four receptions while setting a new personal best with 58 receiving yards. It was the second straight game for him to set or equal a career-high in both categories.
* Te'Vailance Hunt's 24-yard touchdown reception in the first overtime was the first receiving score of his career.
* Max Duggan's 24-yard scoring toss to Hunt gave him at least one touchdown pass in eight of nine games this season.
* Carter Ware had a career long 7-yard reception.

Defense
* True freshmen defensive end Colt Ellison and cornerback Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson as well asredshirt freshman linebacker Ben Wilson made their first career starts.
* Wilson and Garret Wallow tied for TCU's lead with 11 tackles.
* Wallow has either led or tied for team-high honors in tackles in eight of nine games this season.
* Wallow was in double figures in tackles for the second straight game and fifth time this season.
* Wilson set a career-high with his 11 stops, nearly tripling his previous best of four last week at Oklahoma State.
* Jeff Gladney tied a career high with three pass breakups.
* Ochaun Mathis had 1.5 sacks, the first multi-sack game of his career. He had a career-best 2.5 tackles for loss while equaling a career-high with seven stops.
* La'Kendrick Van Zandt, in his first game at safety after starting three games at linebacker this season, had his first career interception.
* Hodges-Tomlinson recorded his first career pass breakup.
* Corey Bethley had a half-sack to give him a sack in three consecutive games. He has 2.5 sacks on the season, while his 8.5 career sacks top all active Horned Frogs.
* Terrell Cooper had his first career sack.

Special Teams
* Jonathan Song's 37- and 31-yard field goals made him 17-of-18 on the season and 34-of-38 in his career. He is 33-of-34 on attempts 40 yards and in.
* True freshman Griffin Kell had a 47-yard field goal to make him 3-of-4 on the season with his only miss from 57 yards.
* Jordy Sandy had a punt downed at the Baylor 5-yard line, giving him seven punts inside the 5 in the last eight games. Five of his six punts were downed inside the 20. Twenty-one of his 44 punts this season have gone inside the 20.
* Sandy's 54-yard punt was one shy of a career-long. He also had a 51-yard punt to give him five boots this season of at least 50 yards.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU-BAYLOR POSTGAME QUOTES

TCU 23, BAYLOR 29 (3OT)

TCU Coach Gary Patterson:

On the game:
"You have to finish. Just got to finish. The last play we didn't. We have to give Baylor credit.

On the last drive:
"Yeah we got beat. It's a good football team. We fought. We beat Texas which is the 16th ranked team, we can play with the 12th best team. We can play with anybody. They got to finish. Simple."

On QB Max Duggan's play:
"Good. We had a chance to win. The only thing he probably didn't do was he threw back across his body on the one interception and gave them an opportunity down there. But outside of that, I thought he played a good ballgame."

On keeping players positive:
"They're good. That's what I told them downstairs, that I'm proud of them. Again, we're not finished. I'm interested to see the holding call, to be honest with you. You're in overtime. You're on the 8-yard line. And there's a holding call."

On Duggan's late run:
"You know, if you want to build a program, you want to build a program with somebody that has an attitude. He's not making all the plays we wanted him to make, but the bottom line is, the essential things, the ground, the foundation is unbelievable."

On what Duggan can learn from close games:
"Andy Dalton did the same thing. And he went in the first or second round of the draft. He went 75. And Max is throwing less picks. Number one you have to learn, that you hate to lose more than you love to win. When you do that, not just Max, but anybody on the team, then you understand why you got to practice every day. You understand what you work hard for and you understand why you try to finish. You do that you have a chance."

On Baylor's effort:
"That was two good defenses on our field today. And two good offenses. You're going to find out who could make one more play. Simple as that. And they ended up making one more play. Simple as that. I mean, that's the storyline as far as I'm concerned."

TCU Cornerback Jeff Gladney

On the close game:
"We talk about it every week, there's four to five plays and we just got to make those plays."

On the physical level of the game:
"It's very physical definitely when we play Baylor. It's always a physical game."

On the bounce back after the loss:
"We just got to stick together. Like I said, there's four to five plays a game, and we just have to make those plays to win a game."

On T. Hunt's catch:
"That was a great catch."

TCU Offensive Guard Cordel Iwaugwu

On the loss:
"It was pretty disappointing honestly. It was so close, everybody was crying, and it hurt my heart, especially as a senior. I wanted to put the team on my back, but I couldn't so it really hurt my heart."

On the one-yard:
"Honestly we have to do better, there's no excuse we got to do that."

On finishing strong:
"I feel like we were really close, we just gotta take that one little step that we hesitate to take it every time we get close. Its really weird, but we can do it."

On the physical level:
"It was really physical. Upfront, we tried to match their physicality and I thought we did a good job just not enough to win it."

On the two-point conversion:
"Most definitely, we played to win it. Sometimes it doesn't go that way, so its back to the drawing board. I'm, already thinking about next week."

- - -

Baylor head coach Matt Rhule

On the game:
"That was a great college football game. A lot of credit to TCU. I thought they came ready to play. They had a great plan. I thought our defense did a great job keeping us in the game. The offense struggled early, obviously, but they made some plays at the end of the game to go win it. Some guys stepped up when we needed them, but as always, Charlie (Brewer) was outstanding both running and throwing the football. I'm really proud of our guys, I mean, John Mayers making that kick, he probably hasn't even made a lot of 51-yarders in practice. We are going to hear all week what we are not, but let's talk about what we are. Hard-nosed, resilient guys, that go out and compete. A lot of teams would have lost that game, but I am proud of my guys for winning that one."

On the offense:
"A lot of the defensive guys were frustrated with the offense at half. As a coaching staff we said let's be aggressive. Let's push the ball downfield. We tried to do that in the first half, but their corners were making great plays. In the end our receivers made enough plays to win the game. Games aren't won in the first or second quarter, they are won in the second half. We had a hard time with the crowd noise, but our guys didn't panic. Our guys appreciate the battle because we know that is what football is like."

Baylor Quarterback Charlie Brewer

On the offense changes in overtime:
"We executed better than we had earlier. That's something we have to get corrected. Luckily, we were able to come away with a win, but we could have done a lot more to prevent how close it was. A win is a win and anytime you can go on the road and win in November it's pretty big. On to Oklahoma now.

On Mims' overtime performance:
"He is a big-time player. A lot of the time in those situations the ball is going to him and I trust that he is going to make the play and every week he does."

On calming down the halftime tension:
"We need to do a better job overall. We were put in good positions, but we couldn't click. We got the win and that is what counts."

Baylor linebacker Terrel Bernard

On the overturned call in the third overtime:
"It was crazy. We didn't know what happened. We thought it was a touchdown, so we were trying to get our defense ready for a two-point conversion. Then they came out and ruled that he was down at the three-and-a-half-yard line. Coach Rhule and Coach Snow got the defense together and told us that this was the game and to go win it. We just had to go make a couple of plays."

On bouncing back from the overturned call resulting in a TCU touchdown in the first overtime:
"I think that it's a mentality. It comes from Coach Rhule preaching to us throughout the offseason and camp the mindset of 'What's next?' Obviously, we are worried about what is happening right now, but whenever the ruling is made, 'What's next?', go on about it, and go make the next play."

On his interception:
"I was hoping to [score a touchdown]. I caught it, saw a little bit of space in front of me, a couple of linemen and the quarterback, so I ran as fast as I could and kind of got hit towards the end."

Baylor linebacker Jordan Williams

On the resiliency of the defense:
"We already told ourselves from the jump that [Te'Vailance Hunt] scored, because we have to go try to get our minds right for the next play, try to block the kick, and get ready for defense, because as soon as TCU scored, we had to go right back out there. So we just kept our heads down and kept going."

On the mindset of the defense:
"We bend, but don't ever break. We kept our backs to the goal line, and [TCU] wasn't getting in. That was our mindset of our defense: we had to get a stop."

On playing in close games:
"We love to have the pressure, momentum, and all of that. The last few years I have been here, the offense has won the games. It has been crazy to see how the defense has come out there with our backs against the wall and the odds against us, and we just go out there and we just play."

Baylor kicker John Mayers

On his mindset going into the kick:
"My teammates are counting on me and believe in me, so I just have to do my job and help the team win the game."

Latest posts