• The KillerFrogs

Gillespie named TCU DC……

Palliative Care

“Grow them up” meant to me that they were lower rated recruits to begin with. The thing about a 5 star is that he is ready to play as soon as he arrives from a talent prospective. Tcu recruited 3 star people which means that they have potential but they need time to mature into players. One of the things that happened to Gary is he ram out of people who had developed but then left early for the draft. The other were players who never “grew up” due to injuries etc. Not having them and rarely getting enough 4’s who maintained consistency hurt defense a lot. No scheme works when the talent just is not there. Yes we need a new DC but we also need to get some four star player and build with them sooner.

Inside receivers? Are we still deciding between Meach and Gru or did I miss an announcement?

Hopefully they have more options than those two. Every position should be a real search to find the best. Hopefully they are interviewing a number of coaches that are well qualified and great developers. It's sad for Meach but this is the business. Gru can go to LA Tech. TCU should look through all the power conference teams, G5, FCS, high school head coaches to find a stud hire that fits and proven.

CountryFrog

Hopefully they have more options than those two. Every position should be a real search to find the best. Hopefully they are interviewing a number of coaches that are well qualified and great developers. It's sad for Meach but this is the business. Gru can go to LA Tech. TCU should look through all the power conference teams, G5, FCS, high school head coaches to find a stud hire that fits and proven.
Do we really have to address every single open coaching position individually with "I sure hope they're not just considering one or two people and are actually trying to find the best person for the job?"

JogginFrog

It's all good. When you're filling the last slot on a team, you're working to fit a budget, fit an offensive philosophy, fit with staff chemistry, and, oh yeah, get a great coach. Appreciate the idea of driving for excellence top to bottom, and the acknowledgment of realities beyond talent.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I don’t know if Meach stays but I believe he probably will. Sonny thinks he has a lot to offer, I know this. I’m not mad about it. It’s Sonny’s offense and his play calls. Everyone can use a mad scientist if properly supervised.

Frozen Frog

A head coach has to put together a game plan and enable others to execute it. If one side of the ball doesn't do their job according to the plan it can be a disaster. I know several coaches that people think are horrible based on what their side of the ball did for a team, but when you look at the games overall you can definitely see where their side was never given a chance to succeed. When your offense gives the D 2 minutes of rest after the other team had a 8 minute drive it is tough. Conversely when the defense shuts down the other team's O, but your offense can't move the ball it is frustrating.

Eight

People keep talking about needing to find true 0/1 techniques but the most fascinating thing for me to watch next year will be how they handle the current crop of DEs on the roster. While we’ve used down lineman some, none are traditional hand in the ground or 4i types which is what will be called for in the 3-3-5. Can Mathis or Coleman add weight and eat blocks? I have my doubts…

coleman needs to be moved to olb in that formation

Moose Stuff

Do we really have to address every single open coaching position individually with "I sure hope they're not just considering one or two people and are actually trying to find the best person for the job?"
I prefer we take our time, but not because I want to get it right as much it’s just because I want to give “what’s taking so long” guy something to complain about.

Last edited: