• The KillerFrogs

Gas shortage due to the hurricane

Moose Stuff

What's it like up in DFW? Almost completely out here in New Braunfels and I'm worried about getting up there this weekend and not being able to fill up and get home.

f_399

Increase in demand(hype) and the same supply?

I'd say give it a couple of days but it had to happen on a long weekend and a lot will hit the road.

If your car is E85 compatible, use it. Not a lot of people use that and will probably be the last type of fuel a gas station runs out of.

Brog

Headline in Startlegram this morning: "STATIONS RUNNING OUT OF GAS! OUT OF GAS BY WEEKEND!" So, is anyone surprised that there were lines this morning? The station at the corner of Hulen and Bellaire, coincidentally, went up in price 20 cents a gallon overnight! And long lines this morning there. No reference at all to price gouging anywhere. And does the Startlegram bear just a bit of responsibility because of their alarmist headline this morning? Not sure.

Deep Purple

Half the nation's refining capacity is on the Texas-Louisiana coast, and most of those refineries had to shut down for about a week because of the hurricane. The shortage is real, but it's also very temporary.

Bob Sugar

It is not just hype. It is a distribution problem, rather than a supply problem. A fleet of trucks to bring fuel to DFW was not just sitting idly by. Once they work out the distribution problem, then things will go back to normal.

f_399

It's also a demand problem driven by the media/social media.

You have people filling up(+ more canisters) out of panic and not because they need it.

MTfrog5

East Texas is fine right now but I also saw two people fill up their trucks and then about 5 different containers inside their truck bed as well.

jack the frog

• The entire world uses 100 million of refined product daily

• The U.S. refines 18 million of those 100 million barrels

• Six million of that 18 million is refined in Texas

• About half of that six million is currently offline or at reduced capacity due to Harvey

"However, we have 230 million barrels of gasoline in storage in the United States right now. So if that three million barrels of refined capacity stayed offline for an entire month that would be 90 million barrels that wouldn't be produced. That would be less than half of what we have in inventory."

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/texas-news/texas-commissioner-dont-panic-about-gas/469658632

No gas shortage. A bit of panic and a transportation and re-supply hiccup, plus I know that there has been some short covering. Also, Christi Craddick is pretty hot.

f_399

Darwin award?

21151766_10157067173567925_4960094472344568152_n.jpg

21271017_10157067173562925_4556670346936370598_n.jpg

frogs9497

Drove by 6 gas stations around 1p today in downtown/TCU area because I actually do need gas. Each one was at least 10 cars deep. Full-on gas panic.

Took my wife's car last night to fill up, no problem. Media and social media in full effect.

Deep Purple

No doubt some people are hoarding -- some always do -- but that's a far cry from saying it's a media-created shortage. The refineries really did have to shut down, and the widespread flooding/evacuations have complicated distribution. It's only temporary and not a serious problem.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Wasn't an issue until it actually was. A self-fulfilling prophecy if I ever saw one.

But - and apologies to y'all who are on my fb because this is the second time you'll see this - to me you don't hit gouging status until it's something like regular at $3.00+ A 30 cent increase seems to me more like demand control than actual gouging.

frogs9497

No doubt some people are hoarding -- some always do -- but that's a far cry from saying it's a media-created shortage. The refineries really did have to shut down, and the widespread flooding/evacuations have complicated distribution. It's only temporary and not a serious problem.

I saw zero gas stations in FW closed due to gas shortages. That may eventually happen. People are filling up today out of fear.