• The KillerFrogs

Gary Patterson on Sports Nation

InterestedObserver

Of all the Tech fans that visit here, InterestedObserver is the last guy I'd pile on. He's been more than gracious on here.

Thanks. To be fair, I support TCU more than I do Tech but alot of that is because of where I live and the fact my wife went to TCU. Not that I don't personally support the Frogs, but they're my second team for certain. My four year olds favorite song right now is the TCU fight song, so I guess we spend some time at different events (this is actually brutal as she figured out how to play it on the iPad and would play it non-stop if we didn't make her stop).

Anytime a poster on this forum, much less a head coach or media outlet, makes any statistical reference that is incorrect, several pages of comments are made asking for facts. The reality is, Patterson mispoke, but I've heard him make this same statement at speaking engagements around town, so it's not new. The fact is, Patterson has plenty to boast about and I don't think anyone would dispute that. Just seems strange he wouldn't check that fact before making the statement.

Also, for the most part I was just stirring the pot and the usual suspects took the bait. Keeping entertained during this weather week is becoming tougher and tougher.

I count 5-5 against the big 12 since GP became head coach in 2001 (I know he became head coach with the 2000 bowl game) and 10-0 against all other auto qualifiers. since 2002 he is 15-3

screetch

By my reckoning, with GP as head coach, TCU is 8-0 vs. BCS schools not from the Big XII, and 6-5 vs. the Big XII, so 14-5 overall.

http://cfbdatawareho...s.php?year=2005

Edit: you are right, 16-5 overall. Forgot Stanford. 20-9 if you count current BCS members.

Oregon State - W
Baylor - W
Wisconsin - W

Virginia - W
Clemson - W

OU - L
Stanford - W

Baylor - W
Texas - L
Stanford - W

Baylor - W
Texas Tech - W

OU - W
Iowa State - W

Northwestern - W
Texas Tech - L
Cincinnati - L
Louisville - L

South Florida - L

Arizona - W
Vanderbilt - W
Cincinnati - W
Louisville - W

South Florida - W

Northwestern - W
Cincinnati - L
Louisville - W

Nebraska - L
A&M - L
Louisville - W

helcap

The statistic I heard repeated several times on ESPN leading up to the Rose Bowl was that TCU was 15-3 in their last 18 games against teams from BSC conferences. No time frame was mentioned. With the win against Wisconsin that makes it 16-3, so Gary was off by one. On a technical note, if you are going to throw in the former Conference USA teams now in the Big East, you probably should add Utah as well into that tally.

AUFrog

ESPN lies anyway. Bout time we have an "data" error in our favor.
No kidding! Have I mentioned the picture on your sig is amazing? Smoke show. Anyhow, I heard Doug Gottlieb about 2 weeks ago say something like, "TCU barely averaged 35,000 fans per game this year." I was almost tempted to call, since being off by 20% is kind of a big deal. He's usually really good for hoops talk but he's sometimes difficult to listen to and is often out-to-lunch when it comes to other sports/politics.