• The KillerFrogs

Gary and the Air Raid

Long Time Lurker

When all is said and done, does Gary really believe in the Air Raid and is he really ready to let somebody run with it?
Nope. It’s feast or famine with the Air Raid and his beloved defense is on the field too long. If he can’t win games, his secondary goal is to be one of the top defenses in the land.

He made the decisions concerning Delton. He made the decision to go for it on 4th in the last seconds because “Song is only good to 40.”

Sonny is hamstrung by Gary. They need to sit down and decide what the way ahead will be. Either you trust your subordinates or you hire some that thinks exactly like you...at least to your face.

Wexahu

We don’t run the Air Raid.

For the most part I think we do. It’s just that we’re so bad at it that it doesn’t look like it.

We run shotgun all the time, have wide OL splits, run very elementary zone read running plays, usually have 3-4 WRs in the game at all times who are usually sent on very short “routes” where they try and find soft spots in a zone. Isn’t that at its core the Air Raid?

If not, what is it?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Nope. It’s feast or famine with the Air Raid and his beloved defense is on the field too long. If he can’t win games, his secondary goal is to be one of the top defenses in the land.

He made the decisions concerning Delton. He made the decision to go for it on 4th in the last seconds because “Song is only good to 40.”

Sonny is hamstrung by Gary. They need to sit down and decide what the way ahead will be. Either you trust your subordinates or you hire some that thinks exactly like you...at least to your face.
Sonny has shown he is unworthy of trust.

y2kFrog

For the most part I think we do. It’s just that we’re so bad at it that it doesn’t look like it.

We run shotgun all the time, have wide OL splits, run very elementary zone read running plays, usually have 3-4 WRs in the game at all times who are usually sent on very short “routes” where they try and find soft spots in a zone. Isn’t that at its core the Air Raid?

If not, what is it?

All I know is when I watch Washington State, the offense they run looks nothing like what we are trying to do. I think Leach and Patterson are very similar in the fact that they both came up with a unique style of play and are so hands on that none of their protégés are able to recreate what they do.

Wexahu

All I know is when I watch Washington State, the offense they run looks nothing like what we are trying to do. I think Leach and Patterson are very similar in the fact that they both came up with a unique style of play and are so hands on that none of their protégés are able to recreate what they do.

The difference is Leach doesn’t mind getting in 50-45 shootout type games. Hell, I think he prefers it because it lets his offense pile up great stats. GP on the other hand.....trying to run an Air Raid the way it’s supposed to be run while maintaining great defensive numbers is basically impossible. That’s why we get some compromised version that doesn’t work.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a slow tempo Air Raid work. Ever. But that’s the goal I guess with this coaching staff.

SnoSki

If not, what is it?
It’s a spread offense. Air raid would generally constitute throwing it at a much higher frequency than running it.

GP has said for years that he wants balance and ball control but also the ability to strike quickly if needed... which is why we run a spread but rarely go up tempo and rarely go pass heavy (50+ passes a game).

4th. down

Well, Lincoln Riley seems to be a pretty good protege of Leach.

4th. down

I don’t really consider what Riley runs to be an Air Raid in the sense that Leach
does things. He’s much more amenable to the run game to set up his downfield passing game but with his OL, who wouldn’t be?

Yes, he is versatile, but he was raised, played, and coached air raid and he still does it but with a little different twist like 2 back to back Heismans and maybe a 3rd.

TCU_backer

Last time we ran any semblance to the Air Raid was 2015. I’m not sure what the hell you call what we do on offense now.

I also think This is Cumbie’s last season as the OC.