• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Year in review: Handing out position grades for TCU football

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Year in review: Handing out position grades for TCU football​

Steven Johnson

CT_TCU_SMU_SecondHalf_03B.jpg

With the regular season and championship weekend finally in the books, it’s time to look back at TCU’s season and how the Horned Frogs performed across the board.

The program wishes it was preparing for a bowl game, but with a 5-7 record TCU missed bowl eligibility after making the national championship game a season ago.

Inconsistency was the theme for most position groups this season, but there was still some groups that were able to stand out.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article282649473.html

ShreveFrog

Offense - D (bad on short yardage and red zone)
Defense - F (need upgrades everywhere except Damonic and maybe Obiazor)
Special Teams - D (quack, shank, inaccurate)
Overall - D
Bailey, Wiley and Richardson get individual A's.
Glad Bailey, Richardson and Savion Williams return on offense but we need lots of help around them.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

On defense I just don't buy lack of talent.

That would mean that Iowa State and Kansas State (both 3-3-5 teams) have grossly been out-recruiting us. I don't buy that, so something rather than talent must be the reason. We should have had at least the equivalent of those two in defense with our talent, which we did not. Yeah, you cannot have an elite defense without the players, but this was a bad, bad defense this year.

Lots of descendants of my 3X grandfather on my paternal side in Missouri, so I say "Show me." that we will have a good defense if no changes are made.

Wexahu

On defense I just don't buy lack of talent.

That would mean that Iowa State and Kansas State (both 3-3-5 teams) have grossly been out-recruiting us. I don't buy that, so something rather than talent must be the reason. We should have had at least the equivalent of those two in defense with our talent, which we did not. Yeah, you cannot have an elite defense without the players, but this was a bad, bad defense this year.

Lots of descendants of my 3X grandfather on my paternal side in Missouri, so I say "Show me." that we will have a good defense if no changes are made.
If you do a deeper dive into the statistics, our defense was about the equivalent of K-State. The overall stats look worse because they played more possessions due to our uptempo pace on offense, but we gave up fewer yards per play believe it or not. Iowa State's was better, no doubt. They seem to have defense kind of figured out up there.

NewFrogFan

Offense - D (bad on short yardage and red zone)
Defense - F (need upgrades everywhere except Damonic and maybe Obiazor)
Special Teams - D (quack, shank, inaccurate)
Overall - D
Bailey, Wiley and Richardson get individual A's.
Glad Bailey, Richardson and Savion Williams return on offense but we need lots of help around them.
Why oh why was #19 not targeted TWICE as much???

Froggy Style

If you do a deeper dive into the statistics, our defense was about the equivalent of K-State. The overall stats look worse because they played more possessions due to our uptempo pace on offense, but we gave up fewer yards per play believe it or not. Iowa State's was better, no doubt. They seem to have defense kind of figured out up there.
Need to spend a few more minutes thinking about what you're saying. Gillespie was so bad, the other teams could just shut down their offense and put in backups to run out the clock and still win the game. Looking at yardage when you're down by 30 or 40 is not a good measure. KState could have had 800+ yards against us, if they needed to try...they did not need to because Gillespie gave the team zero chance to even be a game after 10 minutes. 10 minutes, and the game was over.

How many teams have scored 25 points in single halves of games against us in two years? I bet the number is close to 10. That number is flat out ridiculous...yardage be damned.

Last edited: