• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why Kendal Briles is optimistic about the future of TCU’s offense

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why Kendal Briles is optimistic about the future of TCU’s offense

By Steven Johnson

FTW_TCUspringpractice_MAC_0%20(4)

Even with the work week winding down, TCU’s football operations building is buzzing with energy on Thursday, Jan. 4.

Wide receivers coach Doug Meacham strolls through the hallways a few times, followed by director of player personnel Tyler Olker. Eventually emerging from the hallway is offensive coordinator Kendal Briles, who is in a good mood. That’s because the Horned Frogs were putting the final touches on their pursuit of Vanderbilt quarterback transfer Ken Seals.

But before Briles and the rest of the staff wrapped up that recruitment, Briles took the time to sit down and reflect on his first year with the Horned Frogs’ football program.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article284065108.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...about-the-future-of-tcu-s-offense/ar-AA1mMRSi

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
"Awkward" is one way to put it. "Disgusted" is more fitting, but likely doesn't fit in the ST lexicon for this Story.

I can only hope that the New Regime in Tuscaloosa decides he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and money-whips him away on a flying carpet (greatly resembling a G5).

Limey Frog

For me, Briles did enough for us to be cautiously optimistic about him coming back. I don't like his obsession with up-tempo play, his habit almost always throwing on first down, or the inability to get a yard on the ground in the red zone and/or 4th downs situations. But, unlike on the defensive side, most of that you can reasonably attribute to personnel limitations such as youth/inexperience. I think its fairly likely that Briles will do just fine as OC in the new Big XII with more experienced players.

I still don't like him, and he'll always Johnny Tape-fingers to us, even if he wins. It's transactional: win games for TCU, get paid and keep your job. Fans don't have to like you. What is sportsball without the creative energy of grudge-holding?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Briles and the offense put up solid numbers overall. Replacing a lot of NFL talent, having to change QBs to an inexperienced freshman ... the downsides as we have all noted are the turnovers and missed red zone opportunities. Straighten that, get a good defense with the talent coming in and we will get together in the playoffs this coming season.

FloridaFrog76129

Briles and the offense put up solid numbers overall. Replacing a lot of NFL talent, having to change QBs to an inexperienced freshman ... the downsides as we have all noted are the turnovers and missed red zone opportunities. Straighten that, get a good defense with the talent coming in and we will get together in the playoffs this coming season.

Magically make one of the worst power 5 offenses fix everything..and we will be good.

Yeah not sure the offense that seemingly led the conference in 3 and outs is going to get magically much better next year with more question marks on OL

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
What was the points averaged in the first half before it officially became garbage time?
You’re telling me that OU game was ever close outside of being tied at kickoff?
11th total offense in the nation
7th passing offense in the nation
Hoover threw for over 300 yards against OU
Hoover threw for over 400 yards in four of his six starts
40th scoring offense hurt by being the 121st red zone offense

All that went with a poor defense.

The numbers are pretty clear and what has been said is correct. It is about the red zone scoring and turnovers and getting a good defense on the field. Should have a better OL too and Seals for Morris is another upgrade.

froggolf65

11th total offense in the nation
7th passing offense in the nation
Hoover threw for over 300 yards against OU
Hoover threw for over 400 yards in four of his six starts
40th scoring offense hurt by being the 121st red zone offense

All that went with a poor defense.

The numbers are pretty clear and what has been said is correct. It is about the red zone scoring and turnovers and getting a good defense on the field. Should have a better OL too and Seals for Morris is another upgrade.
Now adjust for pace.

Endless Purple

The offense had and has a lot of potential to succeed. It needs to fix the O-line (new position coach IMO), and that would solve many of the red zone and short yardage issues.

HG73

SD will always have a good offense, he's an offense minded guy. The key is defense. With our offense we should have a hair on fire blitz 24/7 defense, not the rush 3 guys defense we had. The new DC should handle that. Lots of upside to this team.

And we need our new freshman kicker to be the real deal. That was our biggest problem last year. IMO.