• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Where does TCU turn after another disappointing Big 12 defeat?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Steven Johnson: Where does TCU turn after another disappointing Big 12 defeat?

By Steven Johnson

USATSI_21802905.jpg

Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but once again TCU committed a number of costly mistakes including turnovers and defensive breakdowns in a winnable game.

After the Horned Frogs’ 35-28 defeat to Texas Tech on Thursday, if there’s one word to describe the Horned Frogs this season it’s frustrating. The fanbase feels it, the players feel it and Sonny Dykes does as well as the likelihood of TCU reaching a bowl game shrinks by the week.

With games against No. 7 Texas and No. 9 Oklahoma remaining it would take a minor miracle for the 4-5 Horned Frogs to find themselves with enough wins to reach the postseason.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article281365283.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...other-disappointing-big-12-defeat/ar-AA1joVYd

Limp Lizard

It's hard to judge the offense since it is always playing from behind, with two inexperienced QBs. Plus, a brand-new system. Hoover often plays like the redshirt Freshman that he is, but he throws a very nice ball. My biggest disappointment is the OL.

The defense on the other hand, has been awful. I expected some improvement from last year since we had a lot of players with experience in this system back. But we have an even worse defense. I try to like Gillespie, but this is getting a little old. Against Tech, the word that kept coming to my mind while I was watching the game, was "confused": the players looked like they had never played that system before.

4 Oaks Frog

It's hard to judge the offense since it is always playing from behind, with two inexperienced QBs. Plus, a brand-new system. Hoover often plays like the redshirt Freshman that he is, but he throws a very nice ball. My biggest disappointment is the OL.

The defense on the other hand, has been awful. I expected some improvement from last year since we had a lot of players with experience in this system back. But we have an even worse defense. I try to like Gillespie, but this is getting a little old. Against Tech, the word that kept coming to my mind while I was watching the game, was "confused": the players looked like they had never played that system before.
…another word is slow…

Dr. Coach Haus

Limp, I agree with you on defense. No pressure on QBs always kills us.
I do have to say play calling on offense has not been what it needs. We almost always go three and out. That is how we start so far behind. I think Briles is a playcaller and not really a QB coach that we need. Development is not what we want. I am not convinced on the playcalling by Briles either since many plays are improvised and not from the original play call.

nrhfrog

Pretty good article.
It's coaching...period.

--Special teams coach: total mystery to me. Same kicker as last year.

--Offensive Coordinator: I want Briles gone because I think it was a mistake to bring him on the staff. That said, he has the excuse of not having a decent QB to work with, which is a really big deal. I think the offense lost a lot more players than the defense.

--Defensive Coordinator: If I had to pick the DC or the OC to fire, it would be Gillespie. He has no excuses for the complete lack of development. There were signs last year, but every time I was about to give up, the defense seemed to rise to the occasion. Not this year....every phase of the defense is awful. How do the same players who were on the team last year.....no longer know how to tackle players or operate in the 3-3-5? It ain't the 3-3-5, its the dang coaching.

Sonny, if you don't have the balls to fire both the OC and DC, please fire the DC!!

A free fall of this magnitude doesn't make sense to me. I have no inside information, but I suspect there is something going on in the locker room that we don't know about. I'd love to just lay the blame on Briles, but that doesn't explain the horrendous special teams or defense.

tjcoffice

Two receivers, Wiley and someone else, ran into each other while running their routes. That is a large mistake for this late in the season. Receivers miss their routes, quarterbacks sometimes get the routes and plays mixed up. But, we seemed to have more of that at the Tech game, which again is late in the season for fundamental errors like that.

NewFrogFan

Limp, I agree with you on defense. No pressure on QBs always kills us.
I do have to say play calling on offense has not been what it needs. We almost always go three and out. That is how we start so far behind. I think Briles is a playcaller and not really a QB coach that we need. Development is not what we want. I am not convinced on the playcalling by Briles either since many plays are improvised and not from the original play call.
No logical flow on offense, the most 45 second possessions in the history of college football.