• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU will be without top 3 starters this weekend against Utah

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU will be without top 3 starters this weekend against Utah

Kyle Winkler will not pitch Friday in Game 1 of a series against Utah with the Mountain West Conference regular-season title on the line.

TCU will rest Winkler (8-2), who has not missed a start this season as the Horned Frogs' regular Friday starter. Winkler has thrown 85 1/3 innings. He took the loss last Friday at Oklahoma State despite allowing just three runs and striking out nine in six innings.

Erik Miller (5-6) will start Friday and Andrew Mitchell (3-1) will pitch Game 2 at 4 p.m. Saturday. Game 3's starter has yet to be determined, but Kyle Starratt is a likely candidate. ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Yeesh. Utah the second-place team. Two wins wraps up another regular season conference championship.

He said Winkler will likely pitch May 19 at New Mexico in Game 1 of the last regular-season series for the Frogs. There's also a chance that Purke and Maxwell could pitch that series. Both pitchers are progressing on schedule, Schlossnagle said.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Shutup Stupid. It's a weak conference that allowed us toi come within a gnat's balls of winning the CWS last year.

BTW--is any coach in the country doing more with less that Schloss? Steel don't think so!

Burner1

Tier 1
Utah has some hitters. Those three starters will probably be all right, but we likely will have to use some of the arson squad. Hope the wind is blowing in.

FROGDADDY

Shutup Stupid. It's a weak conference that allowed us toi come within a gnat's balls of winning the CWS last year.

BTW--is any coach in the country doing more with less that Schloss? Steel don't think so!

JS is coaching a team that will have at least 6 players drafted this year (and possibly as many as 9) and several younger guys that will be drafted in the future. Kinda makes the first two words of your post ironic.

illini_frog

I'm ok with this, I have full confidence in all 3 of those guys.

Frankly, it will be great experience for all 3, and it will allow our arms to get healed up 100% ready for the postseason

Pharm Frog

We'll demolish Utah regardless of who is pitching. Thank God we're moving from this weak baseball conference.

While I admire your enthusiasm and positivity, I haven't yet seen the "demolishing tendencies" of our team this year. Utah is going to bring one real quality starter and a lineup that has three or four of the top 7 hitters in the conference. Personally, I would be content with taking two of three in this series given the circumstances, and I'd be giddy with a sweep. I do not think that winning just one of the three is that far-fetched however.... We did beat them four times last year in four games, with Purke winning two and Maxwell and Winkler with one win each. It was great to see the boys come back from a Friday defeat in Stillwater to take the next two..... This weekend, I think it would be far preferable to go out and win impressively on Friday night and play the series from ahead....

OmniscienceFrog

Interesting stuff. Get your horses rested up and ready for the post season and get the young supporting guys you're going to have to have help from at some point more good experience going into it.

A little risky maybe, but probably necessary if they have any hope of making a run this year.

Our conference didn't do JACK SQUAT for us, grub-brain. We got to the CWS all on our own.

Coach Schloss is indeed doing wonders for our program. At least you're not entirely without merit.

While I admire your enthusiasm and positivity, I haven't yet seen the "demolishing tendencies" of our team this year. Utah is going to bring one real quality starter and a lineup that has three or four of the top 7 hitters in the conference. Personally, I would be content with taking two of three in this series given the circumstances, and I'd be giddy with a sweep. I do not think that winning just one of the three is that far-fetched however.... We did beat them four times last year in four games, with Purke winning two and Maxwell and Winkler with one win each. It was great to see the boys come back from a Friday defeat in Stillwater to take the next two..... This weekend, I think it would be far preferable to go out and win impressively on Friday night and play the series from ahead....

We'll git er done. Utah's conference record is bloated from 6 wins against Air Force. UNM is better than Utah.

Pharm Frog

We'll git er done. Utah's conference record is bloated from 6 wins against Air Force. UNM is better than Utah.

Utah is 3-0 against UNM in ABQ so I just can't agree that UNM is better. Utah has wins over A&M, Baylor, and Tulane (2). They have a one-run loss to Cal at Berkeley and two one-run losses to Arkansas in Fayetteville. No doubt that the conference record is a bit bloated given the AFA games, but I expect that we'll have our hands full. I think that we will "git er done" as you say, but it won't come easily.

AggieFrog

Don't say weak conference. Somebody will start another RPI discussion!

Conference RPIs :tongue:

1 0.583 359 217 359 217 SEC
2 0.578 350 227 352 227 ACC
3 0.568 281 193 288 193 Big 12
4 0.560 257 188 257 188 Pac 10
5 0.557 248 179 248 179 C-USA
6 0.525 251 226 254 226 Sun Belt
7 0.522 275 245 276 245 Atlantic Sun
8 0.521 309 270 314 270 Southland
9 0.520 164 166 164 166 Mountain West