• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor’s future as Power 5 schools depends on ESPN, Fox and Big Ten

Endless Purple

With these facts in mind, does the B1G gain anything by expanding into the D/FW Metroplex? Are there carriage fees to exploit in this same manner?

Ratings are only one factor in the complex calculus that the Media Suits scrutinize when deciding on conquest, and it seems that their importance is diminishing.
I would think DFW is out of market currently and would switch if TCU was to join the Big 10. I do not know how many households or what cable companies carry that network now, so that could also increase in number. TCU would have value through that, though not as much as Rutgers or the LA schools.

Until streaming primary sports is actually mainstream the cable companies still have a lot of money and power in the exposure and negotiations. So at least 5-10 years still.

That said, TCU adds value, but not being AAU or even R1 is a huge huddle I think.

To add: Comes down to if the Big 10 just wants to be a 24 team national conference for a split from NCAA or if they still try to maintain their academic ties and just be a top conference with SEC.

Dogfrog

I would think DFW is out of market currently and would switch if TCU was to join the Big 10. I do not know how many households or what cable companies carry that network now, so that could also increase in number. TCU would have value through that, though not as much as Rutgers or the LA schools.

Until streaming primary sports is actually mainstream the cable companies still have a lot of money and power in the exposure and negotiations. So at least 5-10 years still.

That said, TCU adds value, but not being AAU or even R1 is a huge huddle I think.

To add: Comes down to if the Big 10 just wants to be a 24 team national conference for a split from NCAA or if they still try to maintain their academic ties and just be a top conference with SEC.
AAU status is nice but doubt it has much to do with restructuring at this point. IMO it was one of those things that the AAU schools kept repeating as important because…they were AAU. Stanford and Cal sitting on the sidelines right now underscores that. Just like the student part of student-athlete doesn’t matter anymore, and paying players is ok, AAU lies somewhere behind money, TV viewership, and playoff access.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Then that answers the question: The millions of D/FW Metroplex cable subscriptions would immediately leverage up, and yet another windfall of money would rain down on the B1G. So, yes. We have a great deal of value should that scenario play out. Considering they just roped in the #2 Media Market, and could rope in the #4 Media Market, that would make them the richest Conference out there.

Who cares what people are tuning in to. They're still paying for it even if they aren't watching it!

HG73

Then that answers the question: The millions of D/FW Metroplex cable subscriptions would immediately leverage up, and yet another windfall of money would rain down on the B1G. So, yes. We have a great deal of value should that scenario play out. Considering they just roped in the #2 Media Market, and could rope in the #4 Media Market, that would make them the richest Conference out there.

Who cares what people are tuning in to. They're still paying for it even if they aren't watching it!
I checked and I don't think the BTN is on my cable, Suddenlink in Rockwall. SEC Network is.

Eight

Left out the 8 in front of the DFW market. That's about 3 million when 30% care about college football to the NY market of almost nobody caring. TCU v Baylor in 2021 got 1.81 million viewers. Is that small enough schools for you?

My point is still only that people want the DFW market, not just for ratings...but for an easy place to fly in to for games, recruiting, and eyeballs. Only one team gets you that on a weekly basis. Have fun bending over backwards trying to win an argument that disputes something so basic.

so you changed the numbers, didn't answer the question where you even got the numbers in the first place, and you point to the first game after tcu patterson left tcu as proof that tcu draws eyeballs without a big game opponents.

one of us has stayed constant and the other flipped around enough to be a washington politician

do have one question. everything you typed in the second pargraph was there when the swc broke up, far, far more attractive in your mind than say ames, iowa and yet when the big 12 was formed who was asked to be part and which schools got left behind?

Bruce Berry

Does anyone know how does the Premier Soccer league functions? Teams move up and down?

This is the model Greg Sankey- SEC Commissioner is apparently working towards. He read a book about the league and is a believer.

asleep003

Still think the B12, plus the 4 PAC and 4 ACC additions from those biggest markets available, moves us from 3 Top 25 metro areas to 9 Top 25 media markets is a quality landing $pot .

Chongo94

Does anyone know how does the Premier Soccer league functions? Teams move up and down?

This is the model Greg Sankey- SEC Commissioner is apparently working towards. He read a book about the league and is a believer.
Relegation and Promotion. Bottom 3 teams get relegated, top 3 teams (sorta, it’s a bit more to it than just the top 3 but not going into that now) from the second league, get promoted into the top league. Bottom 3 teams that get relegated also get “parachute” payments to ease their financial issues by losing so much money from being relegated.

I think promotion and relegation would be great for soccer and baseball here personally. I can’t imagine any athletic directors and/or owners ever going for it sadly.

gofor2

TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor’s future as Power 5 schools depends on ESPN, Fox and Big Ten

BY Big Steaming Pile

Not long after UCLA and USC announced their intentions to join the Big Ten, Pac-12 officials immediately began to quietly gauge the interest of others schools if they were interested in heading west to join that league.

The list includes pretty much every major school east of Salt Lake City, including TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and the usual suspects.

According to sources familiar with what are now “very preliminary” discussions, the answer is, “Maybe.”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article263109828.html#storylink=cpy
This is all about money, right?
If that is the case, then articles like that have missed the mark. Hell, they are so far off they fell out of the boat and didn't hit the water.
The #s are out there, the SEC and B10 make the most money and the Big 12 is 3rd. The ACC and PAC 12 pull up the rear.
WITF would teams leave the BIG 12 and go to the PAC 12 to make less money?

Latest posts