• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU pitching trio face draft uncertainty

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU pitching trio face draft uncertainty

By Stefan Stevenson
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

Kyle Winkler's stock among major league scouts had shot up after an impressive 2011 season in which he compiled an 8-2 record and 1.39 ERA in 902/3 innings.

But a stress reaction injury on his throwing arm flared up again Sunday, forcing him out of TCU's NCAA Regional game with Oral Roberts in the first inning.

The arm issues to Winkler and of Matt Purke and Steven Maxwell leave their draft stock a mystery, as the 2011 baseball draft begins today. ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Draft-eligible players

The 15 TCU players eligible for the major-league draft, which starts today.

LHP Matt Purke, Soph.
LHP Teddy Nowell, Jr.
RHP Kyle Winkler, Jr.
RHP Steven Maxwell, Sr.
RHP Trent Appleby, Sr.
RHP Kyle Starratt, Jr.
RHP Kaleb Merck, Jr.
INF Joe Weik, Sr.
INF Jerome Pena, Sr.
INF Taylor Feather, Jr.
C Jimmie Pharr, Sr.
OF Jason Coats, Jr.
OF Aaron Schultz, Jr.
OF Brance Rivera, Jr.
OF Zac Jordan, Jr.

Mike Brooks

I think we missed Schultz's bat bigtime. When he went out our mojo went in the tank.

Merck was huge as well but pitching was pretty strong despite all the injuries.

Paint It Purple

The person the Frogs (including Schlossnagle)missed the most was Todd Whitting.
If Todd Whitting was the key to our hitting, then we missed him. We missed the emotional leaders from last year (as has been discussed here many times). Schloss seems like their spiritual leader (if I may use that phrase). He may be an emotional leader too. I don't know I'm not there, but I see the little phrases taped to the dugout. That's good stuff. Cerebral stuff. The cerebral sayings are OK as long as they are not thinking too much between the lines instead of just playing. Forget the constant reminders (signs in dugout). It's like he thinks they didn't hear him say "it's the next pitch".

Don't want this to appear as a criticism of Schloss. I love the guy and what he has done for TCU baseball.