• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU more than happy with ‘ugly win’ over Florida in SEC/ Big 12 Challenge

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU more than happy with ‘ugly win’ over Florida in SEC/ Big 12 Challenge

By Drew Davison

It wasn’t pretty down the stretch.

TCU and Florida combined to make just one basket from the field in the final four minutes. But the Frogs had no complaints on Saturday, leaving with a 55-50 win over the Gators as part of the SEC/ Big 12 Challenge at Schollmaier Arena.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game,” said junior guard Desmond Bane, who scored 17 points and had six rebounds.

“It’ll help us a lot down the stretch, just being able to win ugly. I think that’s the thing we struggled to do in the past. We’ve done it a few times now, been able to win a couple close games, which is huge for us and our program.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article225126855.html#storylink=cpy

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That was pretty ugly but at least a win. Florida's pressure in the second half was better and caused us to have some bad possessions, we took too long to find a shot, too many passes. And still having issues with free throws. Robinson struggled as did Miller who never really got into the game and wasn't a factor. Will have to play much better against Tech on Monday.

flyfishingfrog

Right. Add in UF’s brand of offense coupled with the new faces in the Frog lineup and you had the recipe for the game we saw Saturday morning.

I read some complaining about Samuel. Hayes is a junior and one hell of a defensive presence. I’m baffled at the expectations some fans have.
I think the question around Samuel was more what happened that made us totally stop trying to get him the ball late in the game

Hayes played him strong under the rim and it was obvious Florida had no concern about him anywhere else because they were not even guarding him when he was 5 ft or more the from it

He has to at least be a threat to shoot a really short jumper occasionally are teams will just camp out and wait for him to come to them - which is what Hayes did the entire second half

I think the question around Samuel was more what happened that made us totally stop trying to get him the ball late in the game

Hayes played him strong under the rim and it was obvious Florida had no concern about him anywhere else because they were not even guarding him when he was 5 ft or more the from it

He has to at least be a threat to shoot a really short jumper occasionally are teams will just camp out and wait for him to come to them - which is what Hayes did the entire second half
Well let’s let his game develop. He is a RS freshman who probably never had to venture further tha three feet from the basket in HS. He out rebounded Hayes so there’s that. He also had just a bit of trouble getting the handle on the ball yesterday. I just think some folks expect perfection from young players who are still rounding out their game. As someone noted earlier Alok was supposed to be the guy to do these things as KS developed but here we are

LawFrog504

Good win against a strong team, especially defensively. Will help later in the year.
Going forward, we see serious offensive limitations late in this game. Our offense completely runs through Noi. If he's not shooting well or we can't get him open looks, we have serious difficulty getting a good shot. Hard to score in the tournament with that formula. Wish Bane was 5-10% more aggressive because I think he's our best guy at getting his own look.
Looking forward to going to Lubbock. Hope we can grind out a win in that building.

Farmfrog

I think sometimes you learn more about your team when you win ugly than when you win easily. This should help the team when the same situation occurs later in the season.

Pharm Frog

I thought Samuel played a pretty good game. It’s true that he is no threat from more than 6’ away and he doesn’t pretend to be. Because of this (as someone else mentioned) the Gators slacked off in the lane during the high picks for the most part. When they challenged the picks it seemed like our baseline running forwards were dragging their defenders right through the lane.

While we wanted ARob to get him the ball on the roll, he tried that twice and got both deflected AND those seemed to be very high picks which makes it even tougher.

While I also would like Bane to be more aggressive, yesterday he looked gassed and a little gimpy when the ball wasn’t in play. We just have to find another 8-10 points somewhere and about another 5 minutes. And I have no idea who.

FWIW - Barlow is not quite in game conditioning. He was sucking huge gulps of air after his minutes. On the bench he seems to be very open to coaching. Good sign

Eight

Well let’s let his game develop. He is a RS freshman who probably never had to venture further tha three feet from the basket in HS. He out rebounded Hayes so there’s that. He also had just a bit of trouble getting the handle on the ball yesterday. I just think some folks expect perfection from young players who are still rounding out their game. As someone noted earlier Alok was supposed to be the guy to do these things as KS developed but here we are

kevin samuel has made huge progress in his conditioning, physique, and game since i saw him last in high school.

he doesn't fit the high pick and roll game and agree outside of 5 feet he isn't a threat, but he does some good things on the offensive boards, can provide a credible low block scoring threat, and he has gotten so much better with his defensive positioning

i am curious what would happen if they used jd up high on the pick and roll instead of on the 3 point line, but the next time jamie ask me for offensive address will be the first