• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football reportedly in mix for USC QB transfer Jaxson Dart

westoverhillbilly

I believe it is likely that Ole Miss is shooting their wad early on this NIL stuff. This is their only opportunity to jump out of the gates and win the first quarter mile in a mile long race and feel good for awhile by pressing their fan base to come forth with alot of cash now for NIL. When all the smoke clears and alot of their fools are separated from their money with non-performance on the field from the 18-21 year old payees, they'll likely sink back to mediocrity. Those that play it smarter and wiser will win- tortoise beats the hare in this race.

hiphopfroggy

I believe it is likely that Ole Miss is shooting their wad early on this NIL stuff. This is their only opportunity to jump out of the gates and win the first quarter mile in a mile long race and feel good for awhile by pressing their fan base to come forth with alot of cash now for NIL. When all the smoke clears and alot of their fools are separated from their money with non-performance on the field from the 18-21 year old payees, they'll likely sink back to mediocrity. Those that play it smarter and wiser will win- tortoise beats the hare in this race.
Or it could be that there will only be a couple years of completely unregulated wild west mayhem and the time to strike is now while the iron is hot.

McFroggin

Inside circles would say that Ole Miss has been paying players for quite some time to stay halfway relevant. It is just legal/open now. They can stay competitive $-wise for decades.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Next phase will be "Meat on the Hoof" style money-whipping just to take talent off the board. Who cares about scholarship limits when the real benefits are in NLI?
Interesting point that I hadn’t thought of before. If you raise enough NIL money to pay for tuition/fees, etc. these money guys could all play as walk-ons, saving scholarships for guys/positions who are harder to raise funds for.

FrogBall09

Interesting point that I hadn’t thought of before. If you raise enough NIL money to pay for tuition/fees, etc. these money guys could all play as walk-ons, saving scholarships for guys/positions who are harder to raise funds for.
There are still roster limits and football is a fully funded sport

So unless we are talking about some type of shadow squad that is “part of the team” but not on the roster - like using the intramural team as a practice squad or recreating the Wogs - it’s a lot less relevant for football

But it would be a big deal in baseball and other partially funded sports

westoverhillbilly

While it wouldn’t surprise me, my knowledge is only of Ole Miss, and I was responding to a poster that says they will blow through their $. Their $ is plentiful and isn’t going away soon.
Agree that Ole Miss money is plentiful and not likely to go away, it's just that they're not as rich as Bama, Georgia, Florida, A$M, Texas, Oklahoma or probably Tennessee or Auburn. Oxford is a quaint place, but it is in Mississippi- where all nearby states are thankful to Mississippi for keeping them from being 50th in income, education, health and other quality of life factors. Their stadium is smaller noting that their fan base is not as big as most others in the newly configured SEC- and it's half named after a TCU alum..