• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU football could get much-needed defensive reinforcements for the Texas game

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU football could get much-needed defensive reinforcements for the Texas game​

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU football is coming off a forgettable defensive performance against SMU.

The Horned Frogs gave up almost 600 yards of total offense, including 350 yards on the ground. The good news is that TCU could have a few key defensive players return for the Texas game on Saturday.

Coach Gary Patterson mentioned that TCU could have several defenders return this week, including defensive end Khari Coleman, cornerback Noah Daniels and defensive tackles Corey Bethley and George Ellis III.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254610987.html

CountryFrog

Could. How tantalizing. So, we'd get some guys back (allegedly) who haven't played in weeks, and expect things to be all different? We'd magically begin to 1.) Be in proper position, 2.) Actually make tackles? I don't think so...
I tend to agree. OTOH, if Noah being out there results in one fewer deep ball, Coleman gets just one TFL that otherwise would've been a big run or pass, and Bethley stuffs one run that otherwise would've been a big play then those 3 plays can change the course of a game.

None of it will matter, though, if the overall tackling and defensive execution isn't higher. If we win this one then we really do have the whorns number. Everything hasn't fallen in place for them to win this much since 2013.

asleep003

A lot of whining going on around here ... maybe after 2 or 3 poor performances... yes whine all you want. This team(including coaches) is probly going to give a much stronger performance this coming Saturday. They are probly much more upset with themselves than we are.

4 Oaks Frog

Could. How tantalizing. So, we'd get some guys back (allegedly) who haven't played in weeks, and expect things to be all different? We'd magically begin to 1.) Be in proper position, 2.) Actually make tackles? I don't think so...
The answer to both of your questions is yes. The players we were/are missing are better players. Our defense operates much better with them in the game. I would say that having them in the game would puts us in a much better position to beat orange cow, than firing Gary…
GO FROGS!
BEAT ORANGE COW!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

CountryFrog

A lot of whining going on around here ... maybe after 2 or 3 poor performances... yes whine all you want. This team(including coaches) is probly going to give a much stronger performance this coming Saturday. They are probly much more upset with themselves than we are.
Once the defense gives me a single scheissing thing to be positive about this year then I will.

And I certainly hope the players and coaches are more upset than all of us. They're the ones who got their arses kicked. I was just there to watch it.

Edit: The defense did come up with big 4th down stops in the Cal and SMU games so credit to them for that. Pretty much everything else about those performances was piss poor.

Froggy Style

curious, you don't consider the cal game a poor defensive performance?
I can count about 15 Cal's over the past few years. Gary is done...and if needing a couple of injured players back is what he's waiting for then the game has definitely passed him by or we're just gambling every week. The answer is Gary is just gambling with our program each week. Expect plenty of panic blitzing and deep passes.

y2kFrog

If they actually play it could help dramatically with positioning. If Daniels is back, safeties can help more with other things. If Coleman plays it will completely change blocking by the offensive line because they have to account for him.