• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU does not have a quarterback

Mean Purple

Did not click...But the premise above is not incorrect...TCU does not yet have a QB..We can get to 4-0 still trying to figure out who gives you the best chance to win, but we better have it figured out by Ames

OU Insider Just did a whole radio segment on TCU..Acknowledging that TCU could make the playoffs with what they described as “even Kalihl Tate” level QB play. That’s shocking to hear from RJ Young.
Agreed. And while muck sux, the reality is that if TCU does not have a set choice for starter at this point, it is indeed not a good sign for a team who wants to win conference. OR, maybe they are both so dang good we are better off than any team in the country? (Hoping for that outcome.)

Purp

If he's paying attention the implied premise simply isn't true that, of the 4 QBs, none have separated themselves. I think he worded it in such a way to give plausible deniability that he is simply saying only one hasn't separated himself from the rest, but it reads like all 4 are perceived as equals and CGP just flipped an experience coin to pick one.

Following 247 throughout camp has left me with the impression that it was Delton's job to lose from the very beginning and, to this point, he hasn't lost it, which is a good sign. That said, Duggan sounds like he's improving so much and so fast that they couldn't name Delton starter two weeks ago when they broke camp as originally planned. In other words, Duggan was a pleasant surprise that threw a kink in the plan. As I'm reading it we have two QBs neck and neck, not 3 or 4. One of the two has proven over his career the ability to protect the ball; the other hasn't been able to prove that ability yet in college so he's going to get some 1st team reps to evaluate how he does in that regard.

Reading between the lines I think if Duggan proves he can protect the ball they'll like him better than Delton. If Duggan turns it over or has a couple close calls on INTs that get dropped they'll ride with Delton. In other words, I think the staff feels as though the offense will be more explosive with Duggan than Delton, but until he proves he's not a significant risk with the ball in his hands Delton will have an edge. Explosive is good unless it results in an implosion. I do not get the impression that the staff is indecisive on QB, which seems to be implied by Muck's opening lines. On the contrary, I think they know exactly what they have and what they want; they just want to evaluate some things on Saturday (Duggan hasn't had that chance yet) before making the final decision.

Based on the opening paragraphs of the OP I don't see Muck getting into this analysis, which is what a reporter should produce for his audience. Instead, and based on his past "portfolio" of "work," I gather he's regurgitating the ages old axiom that if you have more than 1 QB you don't have any and then following it up with a lot of words mixed in with spelling and syntax errors. If I'm wrong I may click to see, but I don't have high hopes for anything more than that from Muck.

Punter1

If he's paying attention the implied premise simply isn't true that, of the 4 QBs, none have separated themselves. I think he worded it in such a way to give plausible deniability that he is simply saying only one hasn't separated himself from the rest, but it reads like all 4 are perceived as equals and CGP just flipped an experience coin to pick one.

Following 247 throughout camp has left me with the impression that it was Delton's job to lose from the very beginning and, to this point, he hasn't lost it, which is a good sign. That said, Duggan sounds like he's improving so much and so fast that they couldn't name Delton starter two weeks ago when they broke camp as originally planned. In other words, Duggan was a pleasant surprise that threw a kink in the plan. As I'm reading it we have two QBs neck and neck, not 3 or 4. One of the two has proven over his career the ability to protect the ball; the other hasn't been able to prove that ability yet in college so he's going to get some 1st team reps to evaluate how he does in that regard.

Reading between the lines I think if Duggan proves he can protect the ball they'll like him better than Delton. If Duggan turns it over or has a couple close calls on INTs that get dropped they'll ride with Delton. In other words, I think the staff feels as though the offense will be more explosive with Duggan than Delton, but until he proves he's not a significant risk with the ball in his hands Delton will have an edge. Explosive is good unless it results in an implosion. I do not get the impression that the staff is indecisive on QB, which seems to be implied by Muck's opening lines. On the contrary, I think they know exactly what they have and what they want; they just want to evaluate some things on Saturday (Duggan hasn't had that chance yet) before making the final decision.

Based on the opening paragraphs of the OP I don't see Muck getting into this analysis, which is what a reporter should produce for his audience. Instead, and based on his past "portfolio" of "work," I gather he's regurgitating the ages old axiom that if you have more than 1 QB you don't have any and then following it up with a lot of words mixed in with spelling and syntax errors. If I'm wrong I may click to see, but I don't have high hopes for anything more than that from Muck.

Great analysis.

And I haven't posted in one thread about our QBs but I agree with everything you said....and would even go as far as to say they LOVE Delton...but know he's just here for 1 year so they need to get Duggan ready asap. I think we have 2 very good options for different reasons...and that should have been the title of the article.

Bob Sugar

this?
giphy.gif
Awesome. Here's Muck turning on his switch to get in the zone to troll TCU fans:
giphy.gif

Pharm Frog

What timing! Have to admit that I weakened as football season is starting, and got a hard copy subscription to the ST for three months just this week. Cost me $105.00! Then this article comes out. No, can't cancel and get a refund. Stuck with it.

You got screwed in the most dramatic way possible. I routinely receive offers for 6 months home delivery with online access for $24. Mrs Pharm got a call last week offering a year for $40.

Purp

Great analysis.

And I haven't posted in one thread about our QBs but I agree with everything you said....and would even go as far as to say they LOVE Delton...but know he's just here for 1 year so they need to get Duggan ready asap. I think we have 2 very good options for different reasons...and that should have been the title of the article.
I just read the Delton is Starter thread on 247 so my assessment appears about 80% accurate based on new revelations today. If I were to edit my original post I'd simply say Duggan is still a bit behind Delton and he probably won't overtake Delton unless Delton does something to lose the job. But it appears as though the coaches think his trajectory could take him past Delton in the coming weeks after some live game action so that part seems less certain. I'm not basing that off of any direct quote from JC, just reading between the lines as best I can over there.

I think you're right that the coaches really do like what they have in Delton. I think there is a little bit of CGP's "Ballard got fired every Monday" caution on the Duggan evaluation and I think that's a big reason why he's going to see the field in the 3rd and 4th series. There's no other way to assess your QB in a game than to play him in a game. We'll see how he does, but I feel like APB is an important audition for him.

Froggish

I’m hearing that Duggan has some gunslinger in him..Meaning he ain’t afraid to to squeeze some passes where he probably shouldn’t. He needs to place little more value on protecting the rock but once he understands that it’s probably his job. Of course if Delton plays lights out then his experience is going to keep him in the lineup.

texas_sicilian

He’s right, we don’t have a QB, we have seven. And some very good ones at that. Not a bad problem to have. If it takes a few games to let it play out, fine.

In the meantime, I hope that Alex doesn’t falter and becomes Boykin 2.0.

IF he does show troublesome signs, I hope it’s not during a critical game, we’re quick to adjust, and Duggan’s received enough game time reps to be prepared.

And yes, I know that’s a lot to ask for...

Mac is a puppet master?? No you aren't. The decade long defense of yourself is just old and tired. You don't make anybody do anything except avoid reading your trash...
Oh what a surprise! Punter chiming in on a Mac Engle thread.
Dangling by the strings, the puppet ponders his existence.

How much do you charge Mac for renting space in your head Punter?

Latest posts