• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU blew its chance to make its game against Ohio State a pinnacle moment

4 Oaks Frog

It's obviously possible for players to get hurt against any opponent, or in practice, or during conditioning, or while tying their shoes. The likelihood of getting injured absolutely increases with quality of the opponent. Size and speed increases the force of every impact. More speed also means more instances of getting hit by multiple players on a single play than just one. A better opponent also means your best players are more likely to spend more time on the field which presents more opportunity for injury.
This!!! Sound logic. It will never work here.
GO FROGS!
BEAT osu!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

CountryFrog

I agree with those assumptions re: some of the variables (not necessarily the greater likelihood of multiple tacklers, for example). I just don't know that I agree with the conclusion. There are numerous other variables to consider.

Nevertheless, I can get on board with the conclusion that less injuries to "key" players (i.e. starters) are likely against FCS and lower division opponents due to reduced starter playing time. However, what GP is describing is trading games vs LSU/tOSU for games vs other P5 programs. I REALLY don't believe that our likelihood of injury vs tOSU is measurably different than vs Purdue.
Probably not hugely different. I'll agree with that.

Moose Stuff

Ticket had a rant about it yesterday. Somehow it’s now not enough to play OU, Texas, OSU, WVU, et al in their eyes and we need better non conference games. Same song, different conference. We never play anybody. It’s old, and tired, and honestly couldn’t care less what those idiots think. The round robin plus a second game championship is the hardest conference schedule in the nation.

So not actually getting flack from anyone that knows what they’re talking about.

Mean Purple

Blame the committee. I'm sure both schools are looking to protect against "other factors".

And if both schools are getting the payouts reported, then take it. I'd like to play AGC and the Horseshoe...but these schools are about to get what amounted to big bowl money just a few years ago...if the payouts are true.

Mean Purple

Are there statistics out there to back up the assertion that "games like these" increase injury risk? What would games like these entail? Top-25 opponents? Power 5 opponents? Just not sure that's correct.
Good point. i'm pretty sure Casey was not injured by OU. Stephen F Austin was not a power 5. And other games where guys had injuries.

BABYFACE

You have any data to back that up? Are injury rates higher in P5 vs D1-AA games, or FBS vs FCS, than FBS vs FBS? More injuries in Top25 vs Top25 than Top25 vs bottom 25?

I dont know, but I doubt it.

I don’t think anyone has ever attempted to keep data on this, so data will not support or dismiss either notion. I don’t think sports can be quantified by stats. Stats only tell part of the story.

Not asking you to agree with me, this is just my opinion.

This is nothing to do with football, more to do with politics. If you can name one team that has lost 1 or less games and won their championship and been kept out of the playoffs, you can call me wrong. If not, you are an idiot.
TCU. We did win a championship in 2014. Co-Champions have been crowned in all conferences without a CCG since the 1900s. As a matter of fact, tOSU has about 17 of them — and I’m willing to bet you were crowned national champs in some of those years.

netty2424

G5 teams aren't equal to P5 teams, that is obvious. You don't have to be deliberately ignorant.

I'll ask again, how is TCU disadvantaged compared to Oklahoma in terms of getting in the playoff? What has happened so far for you to have such a strong opinion about that?
You can remove TCU and insert any number of schools Wex. I truly believe you understand this premise. I'm not going to continue on about it as you have your thoughts and I have mine. Collectively they are very different.

There hasn't been any controversies. The committee has gotten it right every time. Just because people are angry, doesn't mean it's a controversy.

Edit: Keep in mind Ohio State has been left out TWICE when I felt like they should of been in. The committee still got it right. Last year Alabama proved to be the right choice, just like Ohio State did in 2014.
You are invoking confirmation bias from the final outcome to justify the committee’s decision in 2014. However, we can point to our own confirmation bias by looking at the results of the TCU / Ole Miss game that year. Anybody who saw us play recognized we were a top 4 team.

And the final AP and Coach’s polls agreed, since we finished 3rd.

Which begs the question: If the committee “got it right,” why did the pollsters disagree when it was all said and done?

Wexahu

You can remove TCU and insert any number of schools Wex. I truly believe you understand this premise. I'm not going to continue on about it as you have your thoughts and I have mine. Collectively they are very different.

OK, let's remove TCU and insert Minnesota and Kentucky.

Do you think if Minnesota goes 11-1, wins the Big 10 West, and then beats the Big 10 East champion in the CCG that any other Big 10 team is going to get in ahead of Minnesota? That's just not going to happen. Same scenario with Kentucky in the SEC East. If they go 11-1 and play and beat the SEC West champion in the SEC CCG they are making the playoffs ahead of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia or anyone else in that conference, no matter who you want to name. 100% guaranteed. That's the only way it can be.

I'll go one further. If Minnesota or Kentucky just curb stomp everything in their path and beat all of the P5 teams on their schedule by an average of 30 points (like Alabama did last year) but they lose one game to Wisconsin or Georgia by a few points at their place and miss out on their CCG.....AND, and here's the key thing, Wisconsin and Georgia lose two games and look otherwise look less impressive than Minnesota or Kentucky, UM and UK absolutely could make the playoffs just like Alabama did last year.

Wexahu

You are invoking confirmation bias from the final outcome to justify the committee’s decision in 2014. However, we can point to our own confirmation bias by looking at the results of the TCU / Ole Miss game that year. Anybody who saw us play recognized we were a top 4 team.

And the final AP and Coach’s polls agreed, since we finished 3rd.

Which begs the question: If the committee “got it right,” why did the pollsters disagree when it was all said and done?

I get it, but OSU beat Wisconsin by 59 points....and that was BEFORE the final selections were made. You're saying that didn't prove anything? Not to mention they went on to win the whole damn thing. And before you say Wisconsin wasn't any good, Ole Miss lost to freaking Arkansas by 30 points that year.

Maybe we were both Top 4 teams. We probably were. But Ohio State isn't the pick you should be taking issue with, and that's the one everyone has a problem with. Not Alabama, not Oregon, not Florida State (most people),but Ohio State. That's what makes no sense.

Who? I think we are talking about big boy football
So you’re telling me that if Wake Forest suddenly started playing in the AFC South, they would automatically be better than tOSU? A team is players and coaches...period. Who they happen to play in a given year is irrelevant to their capability.

We’ve seen this ignorance for decades. We proved this wrong on Jan. 1, 2011 at the Rose Bowl. Utah and Boise State, too. And now UCF.

I get it, but OSU beat Wisconsin by 59 points....and that was BEFORE the final selections were made. You're saying that didn't prove anything? Not to mention they went on to win the whole damn thing. And before you say Wisconsin wasn't any good, Ole Miss lost to freaking Arkansas by 30 points that year.

Maybe we were both Top 4 teams. We probably were. But Ohio State isn't the pick you should be taking issue with, and that's the one everyone has a problem with. Not Alabama, not Oregon, not Florida State (most people),but Ohio State. That's what makes no sense.
Well, except I didn’t single out Ohio State as the one we should replace. I’m saying “the committee didn’t get it right”...which obviously leaves other possibilities.

But keep marching up this hill to die on.

Wexahu

So you’re telling me that if Wake Forest suddenly started playing in the AFC South, they would automatically be better than tOSU? A team is players and coaches...period. Who they happen to play in a given year is irrelevant to their capability.

We’ve seen this ignorance for decades. We proved this wrong on Jan. 1, 2011 at the Rose Bowl. Utah and Boise State, too. And now UCF.

Yes, but who they happen to play reveals what they are capable of. UCF chose to play a weak non-conference schedule which effectively eliminated them from playoff consideration because there was no benchmark in which to measure how good they really are.......their fault. Those schools know the deal. If they want to play the big boys and prove they belong they can do it. They might have to go on the road but every P5 team has to play big boys on the road so BFD.

Western Michigan didn't lose a game either in 2016 but they probably weren't even one of the 25 best teams in the country.

Yes, but who they happen to play reveals what they are capable of. UCF chose to play a weak non-conference schedule which effectively eliminated them from playoff consideration because there was no benchmark in which to measure how good they really are.......their fault. Those schools know the deal. If they want to play the big boys and prove they belong they can do it. They might have to go on the road but every P5 team has to play big boys on the road so BFD.

Western Michigan didn't lose a game either in 2016 but they probably weren't even one of the 25 best teams in the country.
You truly are insufferable.