• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU Basketball Has A Pulse ... Kind of

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
FWST: TCU Basketball Has A Pulse ... Kind of

By Big Steaming Pile
tengel@star-telegram.com

I am probably one of eight people who are interested in what the TCU men's basketball program does these days. The interest level in that team right now isn't something that could be called "high".

Full disclosure - I really do like TCU men's basketball coach Jim Christian. He's a good guy, and a good coach despite the three sub .500 records he's had at TCU in his tenure. That job is monster tough, and if he doesn't get players it doesn't matter if he can coach.

I also firmly believe his job got a thousand times more difficult when TCU accepted the invitation to join the Big East. The 2011 NCAA champs, UConn, finished ninth in the league this season.

Spoke to Christian yesterday about his recruiting class. TCU has six scholarships to offer, and they have signed two so far: ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
That job is monster tough, and if he doesn't get players it doesn't matter if he can coach.

Ridiculous statement. That's his job as coach. That's why he was hired. That's his job.

He can't get good players because he is a good coach and loses most of the time anyway?

I question whether he will be able to win 20 games even with better players. We'll see.

A big risk for CJC with the heavy JUCO route. If he doesn't win he is definitely done and the program will be worse off than the way he found it.

But as Frogs we all hope not and the signings look good. He should at least have a winning record this season in the MWC. Should.

purpleshades

We desperatly need a legit PG as well as a sharpe shooter in this class. If we can get a good PG and a guy that can knock down shots I think we'll have a solid squad next season.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
He saw the opps for him he wanted to get away from home from the beginning of it. some kids say that it nad he meant it. he watned to be a part of the first TCU team to play in the big east. He knows our team and he

Nice paragraph.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
We desperatly need a legit PG as well as a sharpe shooter in this class. If we can get a good PG and a guy that can knock down shots I think we'll have a solid squad next season.

I like that we finally have a couple of big guys in the post. Not just tall, but big.

purpleshades

Agree...they'll go nicely with Nicoli Cirna (who I think has a tramendous upside).

We just need two more solid guards out of this class and I think we'll be ready to compete.

Limp Lizard

Ridiculous statement. That's his job as coach. That's why he was hired. That's his job.

He can't get good players because he is a good coach and loses most of the time anyway?

I question whether he will be able to win 20 games even with better players. We'll see.

A big risk for CJC with the heavy JUCO route. If he doesn't win he is definitely done and the program will be worse off than the way he found it.

But as Frogs we all hope not and the signings look good. He should at least have a winning record this season in the MWC. Should.
It would have to get much, much worse to leave it in the shape that Daugherty left it in. At least his good players are his players, not Tubbs. Lots of good coaches can't get in good players, when the school is mired down as much as Daugherty left it. Hyman killed the program when he ran off Tubbs and hired Daugherty. BTW the way, at least Christian has a track record of winning games. This is just Christian's third year after inheriting probably the worst BB program in the country!

LVfrog

We weren't as bad off as people think we were. CJC is doing his best and, hopefully, we will get better. We have a long way to go but with the additions we have a chance to make a big jump.

Stokes is visiting Western Kentucky today and tomorrow, but he remains a strong possibility. He is taking his time and just enjoying the recruiting process now that he is qualified. I would really like to see us land either Stokes or Anderson at the point and a shooting or combo guard like Odunsi. That would be a very strong finish to this class. The good news is that Colorado St just took a PG (Mann) so we can take them out of the running for Stokes and possibly Odunsi as well. Word is Odunsi really likes Butler, and if they offer there is a strong possibility he commits to them.

halfwaytoheaven

Six scholarships; two graduated, two kicked off during the season, so that means Moss and someone else - was it Cerina? - are gone.

This is a big year for Jim Christian. Make or break, you might say. He needs to land a solid class this spring, and then turn around and start recruiting for the fall period, which from what I hear is when real basketball programs sign their players. And doesn't he have an assistant coach to replace as well? And that's all before we even play a game in the 2011-2012 season.

leofrog

Six scholarships; two graduated, two kicked off during the season, so that means Moss and someone else - was it Cerina? - are gone.

This is a big year for Jim Christian. Make or break, you might say. He needs to land a solid class this spring, and then turn around and start recruiting for the fall period, which from what I hear is when real basketball programs sign their players. And doesn't he have an assistant coach to replace as well? And that's all before we even play a game in the 2011-2012 season.
Actually, 2 assistant coaches.

AEAfrog

Moss is supposedly transferring to Kent State. It's somewhat of an ironic move considering that is where he was originally committed before following CJC to TCU. Cerina is rumored to be on his way out as well. No indications as to where or why.

LVfrog

Moss is transferring for one season? Sort of shows how bad the situation was here. Cerina probably sees his time is going to be drastically cut, so he figures a change of scenery will be worth it.

masterfrog

Moss is transferring for one season? Sort of shows how bad the situation was here. Cerina probably sees his time is going to be drastically cut, so he figures a change of scenery will be worth it.
and our academic progress rate contines to drop with more players leaving the program. How long until we start suffering scholarship sanctions from the NCAA? So Christian isn't winning and he isn't graduating players either.

purpleshades

I don't care what anyone says. Christian has done nothing but drive our program further into the ground. Loosing a kid like Cerina really hurts our program and it does really show how bad things are....heck Moss only has a year left and should be doing whatever it takes to get back on the team but he's insted transferring. This is a joke and we need to get JC out of here ASAP!