• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Student sues TCU for not accepting transfer credit needed for math degree

TCUFROG1998

I could be wrong but I believe once you are classified as a junior TCU will no longer accept transfer credits. That could be the reason but who knows...

I suppose it is too much to ask to let the facts be aired before we lodge a bunch of hot ports opinions on this? Merely relying on the newspaper account just about guarantees you don't have the facts.

tcudoc

I could be wrong but I believe once you are classified as a junior TCU will no longer accept transfer credits. That could be the reason but who knows...
Then, if true, the math department head should have provided that info up front. It is always possible that the student's version of the story is not complete, but it was implied that he got permission from them ahead of time.

PurplFrawg

Administrator

You are partially correct. Also note the final statement which was emphasized in the bulletin. From the TCU Registrar's page:

Important Notice to Undergraduates

• ARE YOU AWARE THAT, EFFECTIVE FOR ALL UNDERGRADUATES ENTERING FALL 1996 OR LATER, EACH CANDIDATE FOR A BACHELOR’S DEGREE IS REQUIRED TO:
    • Complete at least 58 semester hours of academic credit at TCU;
    • Complete the last 30 semester hours in residence at TCU;
    • Complete at least 42 semester hours at TCU in courses numbered 30000 or above;
    • Complete at TCU at least 12 semester hours of advanced work in the major and 6 semester hours of advanced work in the minor (if any);
    • File a degree plan with the office of the dean of the college/school of the major.
    YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING AND MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE DEGREE YOU ARE PURSUING. THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE CONTAINED IN THE UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES BULLETIN.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
This scenario haunts my dreams. In my dream, I was afraid I was going to fail Advanced Physical Chemistry my senior year and it wouldn't be offered again until spring. Dammitt, now I am going to have this darned dream again tonight.

Thanks Dr. Watson for the "C"!!!!!!! I have never been so happy to get a "C" in all my life.

PHSFROG09

I transferred to TCU after my freshman year at another private school in Texas and was a math major as well. I retook Calculus 1 and 2 at TCU even though I had completed both at my previous university and I'm glad I did as the quality of the courses was much better at TCU. For courses inside of your major I have no problem with TCU wanting you to take those courses there; if they give out a degree they want to make sure that graduate has the knowledge they deem pertinent to hold that degree from TCU and they can't guarantee that if you took the course somewhere else. However for core classes or other electives I think transferring in credit is fine.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
This is pure stupid. As an athlete, he had special counselors to make sure that his courses and hours were all good. It seems to me that a transfer credit would have been checked beforehand, cleared and entered without question afterwards. That's what counselors are for. Additionally, as an athlete, courses are not always taken in the same order as a regular student due to time constraints and he likely took Summer courses in addition to having to juggle a heavier schedule in the fall.

The mystery to me is why no one picked up on this a year ago. Or heading into his last semester.

Zubaz

This scenario haunts my dreams. In my dream, I was afraid I was going to fail Advanced Physical Chemistry my senior year and it wouldn't be offered again until spring. Dammitt, now I am going to have this darned dream again tonight.

Thanks Dr. Watson for the "C"!!!!!!! I have never been so happy to get a "C" in all my life.
I always have the "I need this class the graduate, but I haven't been in months and it's finals time, how am I going to graduate?!" dream.

MTfrog5

Not to get off track too much, this reminds me how the system needs to be looked at with transferring of credits. Good friend of mine lost a semester and a half of basic classes when he transferred from A&M to UT Tyler. Being two state schools I really don't understand how you can lose that many core credit hours.

tcumaniac

Reading the article would be a good start...

"In a statement Wednesday, TCU spokeswoman Holly Ellman said the university requires a student’s final 30 semester hours to be taken at TCU.

“An exception to this policy may be granted for good cause, as long as the course to be substituted is equivalent to the course at TCU and receives TCU’s approval,” Ellman said.

Brown received permission from George Gilbert, chair of the TCU mathematics department, to take the class at University of North Texas, according to the lawsuit."

froginaustin

Not to get off track too much, this reminds me how the system needs to be looked at with transferring of credits. Good friend of mine lost a semester and a half of basic classes when he transferred from A&M to UT Tyler. Being two state schools I really don't understand how you can lose that many core credit hours.

I hope I'm not contributing to derailing the thread, but to understand why UT-Tyler won't accept certain credits, whether "basic" or not, from TAMU is to understand what the bureaucracies at the UT System and the TAMU System will do to each other and why. Not all of the "why" is silly or a bad idea.

My information is about 40 years old, but in the old days some of the "basic" humanities courses and even soft sciences like economics were really poor efforts at TAMU. UT System schools weren't the only ones looking down their noses (and I am talking about Stephen F. Austin, not TCU or the like).

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I'm an old white guy but having read this, the standards and requirements of the math department seem to have been clearly spelled out. University of North Texas assured Brown the requirements would be covered. They weren't. TCU has a right to their standards and I don't have a problem with this.

Just take accountability, sign up to take it the next semester, and get on with your life. Sue TCU? BS.

Surprised any University of North Texas credits would pass muster.

But I kid...

It's an absolutely ridiculous complaint and will likely be dismissed without any meaningful drain on Mr. Ginsburg and Co's resources.

Mr. Brown also pleased for a Temporary Restraining Order against Dr. Boschini -- which is ridiculous -- and that was dismissed as it should have been.

Atomic Frawg

You are partially correct. Also note the final statement which was emphasized in the bulletin. From the TCU Registrar's page:

Important Notice to Undergraduates

• ARE YOU AWARE THAT, EFFECTIVE FOR ALL UNDERGRADUATES ENTERING FALL 1996 OR LATER, EACH CANDIDATE FOR A BACHELOR’S DEGREE IS REQUIRED TO:
    • Complete at least 58 semester hours of academic credit at TCU;
    • Complete the last 30 semester hours in residence at TCU;
    • Complete at least 42 semester hours at TCU in courses numbered 30000 or above;
    • Complete at TCU at least 12 semester hours of advanced work in the major and 6 semester hours of advanced work in the minor (if any);
    • File a degree plan with the office of the dean of the college/school of the major.
    YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR KNOWING AND MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE DEGREE YOU ARE PURSUING. THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE CONTAINED IN THE UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES BULLETIN.
The fact that the exception to the rule and the conditions of the outside course are mentioned means they were discussed. Therefore, the rule becomes inapplicable. If University of North Texas stated their course would cover the material, but failed to do so, then they should be the primary party being sued. They offered a service for a particular purpose and failed to provide the service, thereby wasting the person's time and money. I don't see the cause of action against TCU, but it is still not being handled well. Let him walk, hold his degree until the required course can be taken or requisite knowledge in the area of study at issue can be demonstrated (now on University of North Texas's dime) and graduate him.

researchfrog

I don't understand the second and last sentences, which don't seem congruent (see what I did there?).

That's a fair question. The answer involves thinking with my dick, (which led to taking courses out-of-order), an ill-timed bout of mono, and already having been shown way too much leniency on transfer credits. Without any back story, I was taking Calculus 3 at UTA the summer between my junior and senior years. (Math chair Bob Doran had signed off on this.) I came down with mono that summer and could not finish that course. Since Cal 3 was a necessary prereq for real analysis, I couldn't take real analysis unless I stayed another year, got a professor to offer it as an independent study for me (struck out), or transferred it in (denied).

back_in_black

Moderators
The fact that the exception to the rule and the conditions of the outside course are mentioned means they were discussed. Therefore, the rule becomes inapplicable. If University of North Texas stated their course would cover the material, but failed to do so, then they should be the primary party being sued. They offered a service for a particular purpose and failed to provide the service, thereby wasting the person's time and money. I don't see the cause of action against TCU, but it is still not being handled well. Let him walk, hold his degree until the required course can be taken or requisite knowledge in the area of study at issue can be demonstrated (now on University of North Texas's dime) and graduate him.

If TCU let him walk they'd have to do it for every student in a similar situation. There are many like this each semester. Some for issues like this, others for owing money, etc. My guess is TCU has this covered very well as far as the facts are concerned but of course you are only hearing his side of the story at this point.

Brog

Not too long ago my son lacked one required advanced computer course to get his degree, but it wasn't offered here. TCU actually sent him over to UTArlington that spring semester to get it. Inconvenient, but they accepted t he course and he graduated on time. Have times changed?